Puppy stages

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Clair&Bob

Puppy stages

Post by Clair&Bob » 31 May 2010, 09:02

Hi

Can anyone help me by detailing the age / stage of puppyhood?

I seem to read alot about 'teenage' years and adolescence - when will it happen and WHAT happens?! :?

Thanks

Clair
Clair & Bob

helenahigson

Re: Puppy stages

Post by helenahigson » 31 May 2010, 11:48

Image Hi I have 2 puppies. Bailey the cream is 6month old and coco is 13 weeks i think? Puppy stages can go on till the are two or at least males reach maturity. How old is your dog. We are finding two quite a handfull and full of play fighting and distruction all round the house. They both sleep well together so thats a plus.
ImageImageImageImage

Skippyandlulu

Post by Skippyandlulu » 31 May 2010, 12:50

I think it can start when they reach sexual maturity at about 8 months ish and can go on for about a year or so. Each dog is going to be different, and it's a bit like children, some get it worse than others!

linny

Post by linny » 31 May 2010, 15:53

Or it can last a lifetime :lol: :lol: .....only joshing :lol:
It's the adolescent stage when they can behave in a way that's out of character, they might develop selective hearing (more than the usual :) ) they might ignore recall or become more dominant.
It's just a part of growing up and nothing to be concerned about.
Just keep training and it will soon pass :lol:

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 31 May 2010, 17:43

I'm guessing, but I think it starts when they first come home.... and lasts....forever :lol: :lol: I've heard it can last until they're about 18 months to 2 years old, Wilsons 10 months and ...lets say, he has his moments :roll: :lol: :wink:

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 May 2010, 18:27

I reckon adolescence starts at around 8 months, and ends at around 2 years for small dogs, and three years for large dogs :wink: :lol: The Ian Dunbar book has quite a chapter on preventing adolescent problems, if you are worried. (If you are not worried, then don't read it, because you soon will be :shock: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clair&Bob

Post by Clair&Bob » 01 Jun 2010, 11:52

Bobby is 22 weeks and quite a handful at times although at other times is here pure sweetness!!

He's humping at the mo - is that normal for his age?

Thanks

Clair
Clair & Bob

linny

Post by linny » 01 Jun 2010, 14:56

Clair&Bob wrote:Bobby is 22 weeks and quite a handful at times although at other times is here pure sweetness!!

He's humping at the mo - is that normal for his age?

Thanks

Clair
Yes Clair ....completely normal :lol: