Near miss...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
peelm

Re: Near miss...

Post by peelm » 03 Jun 2010, 17:17

I had the same discussion with the other trainers at our training school the other Sunday.
The lab knows what to do, but the poodle says bugger off I'm outta here.... :lol:

I forgot to mention to use a harness for line training. Some trainer I am.

Not wanting to dishearten anyone, but even after all the work etc, they will still have off days. I tell my classes that anyone who says their dog has 100% recall is telling porkies. I aim for about 90%, and sometimes I even get it :-) (note the sometimes).
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

Allison

Post by Allison » 03 Jun 2010, 19:54

If you were a rubbish owner, you wouldn't care. All I can say is I too have been there and got the t shirt.
Allison & Max

Raini

Post by Raini » 03 Jun 2010, 20:02

No ! you are not a rubbish owner - At the end of the day our Doodles are animals and however well trained, can be totally unpredictable - You are not at fault here , the stupid idiots that stood and laughed at a situation that could have easily ended in disaster are beyond help !!! Fear makes us feel helpless and inept - both of which you are not - Cuddle your Doodle ,have a big bar of chocolate and a glass of wine and look forward to your next walk ! Take Care Raini
Imagettp://i839.photobucket.com/alImagebums/zz312/LorraineLucas/Seren/DSCN0284.jpg[/img]

KateW

Post by KateW » 03 Jun 2010, 20:19

Oh, Sally what a dreadful shock for you :( Hope you have stopped shaking now, it is a terrible experience.)

Some excellent advice on here but I just wanted to say that I am a very experienced dog owner and Rufus did the same thing once....And when he was much older than Piet is now. Our big beach is very safe with no road access but there is a foot tunnel which leads on to the busy road into Penzance. None of my other dogs have taken the slightest notice of this but on one terrible occasion Rufus ran half a mile up the beach and through this tunnel. He was following a dog (we hadn't seen any that day) and of course Rufus runs much faster than I do...I raced up the beach and thought I would see a dead body in the road :cry: What I actually saw was Rufus being cuddled by a policeman who said he had never seen anybody as pale as me and wanted to call a patrol car to take me home :) For weeks afterwards I felt quite ill when I went past the tunnel....

I do think risk assessment, which comes with experience, plays a big part in managing a puppy/dog. For example, I will not allow Rufus off the lead on the cliff paths because although his recall is pretty good if a rabbit ran in front of him I have no doubt that he would be in hot pursuit....Several dogs a year die from horrible injuries when they fall down cliffs and I am not prepared to take the risk. I am also very cautious about roads; if horses or daleks (yes, we have had daleks here :) ) were spotted I could not be 100% sure that Rufus would ignore them...

So if I were you Sally I would start afresh tomorrow but maybe with a long line or a review of good walking places...And I think the people who didn't help you are despicable....

Katherine
ImageImage

trinared

Post by trinared » 03 Jun 2010, 21:45

Oh Sally, its such a sickening pit of the stomach awful feeling isnt it. :(

Marley is getting much better at recall now that he's nearly 2 :roll: but today we walked a slightly different route home through some woods that run parallel to a road and I didnt know about the gap in the fence. Marley shot through it to explore and I felt sick waiting for the sound of screeching tyres :shock:

Doodles are wonderfully bright and loyal, but explore they will and become deaf at the same time.

I do find a whistle really helps in an emergency as the sound stops them dead in their tracks and breaks their concentration of chasing whatever it was they were chasing. I dont use it all the time so they pay more attention to it.

You wont forget this experience but dont look at it as a set back, more of a eye opener as I did as a new dog opener and learn from it. You are upset because you care so much and that makes you the best kind of doodle owner :D
Marley and Duffy

marionfunnell

Post by marionfunnell » 03 Jun 2010, 22:14

We have learnt from experience as well as Finn who usually waits to get out of the boot until we tell him, shot off after a cat (twice) in two days, thankfully in quiet roads but paying no attention to me, the treats or the whistle until he lost sight of the cats. His lead stays on now in the boot and it is attached to the D clip in the boot.

He was fine both times but we weren't. Training helps, especially the coming away from distractions learnt at our silver class but not always with a doodle.

You are a good owner and concerned for the safety of your dog and don't worry about thinking otherwise, just enjoy Piet. :D

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 03 Jun 2010, 23:50

A couple of tips that might help people with escape artists. :P

Re car boots, I don't have room for a cage with two Doodles and loads of other stuff to cart about so I use long chains (Jack chews leads) connected to D clips on the floor and then to their collars. It's not ideal to prevent accidents but I reckon the biggest risk they face is that I would open the boot, they see a cat, dog, horse, sea, alien spaceship, anything really and take off.

For emergency recall I ALWAYS carry a small squeaky duck in my dog bag that even Becky will respond to (got her back off a cliff once). Hubbie, of course, being a man :roll: , doesn't see the point of carrying the emergency duck :evil: so, we didn't have it when he let Becky meander off down the grass towards another drop :twisted: I nearly broke my neck, and knee, doing a backwards, flailing, squeaking war dance to lure her away.

However, we have found that both the Deadly Duo LUST after their mate Oz's squeaky ball, so I tracked one down (Good Boy Squeaky ball £2.99 in pet shops) and it's great - a really loud squeak and folds up to stuff in the bag. Now, if Beccles wanders off in her 'tum tee tum, I haven't a clue' manner, Hubbie just gently presses the bag, the ball emits the tiniest squeak and there are two little black noses glued to his side :lol:

Find out what your Doodle lusts after, put one in the dog bag and NEVER actually let them have it to play with except to mouth if they return, plus loads of praise and treats for coming back at any time.

Oh, and keep a dog whistle on a lanyard round your neck when walking. It's often takes too long to get it untangled from the treats, poo bags and balls stuffed in your dog bag when emergency strikes. :wink:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

JasperS

Post by JasperS » 03 Jun 2010, 23:52

I agree with a lot that has been said. Good owners aren't perfect but good owners go from every bad experience and replay it and learn from their experience. I agree that you are never going to get a perfect dog who always obeys every command. We can only do the best we can.

We went away last weekend to the Forest of Dean and didn't think twice about letting Jasper off lead as his recall is pretty reliable. However, he got the scent of something and we searched for a good half hour before he finally returned. We'll never know if he was disobedient or just lost but it was unsettling and made us reassess where we thought we were with training. Can I just say too it's not the first time we've had to reassess either! I let Jasper off once at the end of a field thinking it would be fine only for him to bolt and jump on a lady with her daughter - I was mortified but I learnt a valuable lesson again.

I agree not to view this as a set back but actually a step forward. I find I learn so much more about Jasper and dogs from bad/not ideal experiences than I do from the good ones.

You're a good owner with a good dog so enjoy it and don't let this pull you down.