Hair trimming

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Grant

Hair trimming

Post by Grant » 14 Jun 2010, 16:13

I have a 9 months old labradoodle called Poppy and I'm after some advice on how often I should have her coat trimmed? I have had to trim it around her eyes as she was struggling to see through it and she now has a couple of very small tats on her chest. How often should I get her coat trimmed and how much should I get taken off? I was thinking of asking the vet for the number of someone in the area who is experienced in dealing with labradoodles coats.

Anne Wozniak

Re: Hair trimming

Post by Anne Wozniak » 14 Jun 2010, 18:41

Hi grant, we have Wilson who's also 9 months old. Hes an F1b so is wavy / curly & he's been cut quite short twice now, his coat is lovely & soft, it was getting longer and with the warm weather ~ which now seems to have vanished ! ~ he was getting really warm..... so off it came !
He looks lovely though :D

jane and merlin

Post by jane and merlin » 14 Jun 2010, 18:53

Hi Grant , We have got a f1b called merlin who is nearly 9 months. Merlin has been to the groomers since he was 4 months old they pluck his ears and cut around his eyes,he had his first full cut 2 months ago as he was to hot going again on 1 july as he has got to long and hot again. jane and merlin
Image Image

Poll J

Post by Poll J » 14 Jun 2010, 19:08

Douglas has never been to a groomers - his coat isn't as shaggy as we originally thought it would be, so he looks a bit like some of the 'after' pictures on here. Do others not take their dogs to the groomers or am I being neglectful? (Actually the thought fills me with horror - I can't imagine that he would stand still long enough.)

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 14 Jun 2010, 19:27

Lizzie doesnt go to the groomers I do her at home with scissors and a furminator.Freda

trinared

Post by trinared » 14 Jun 2010, 19:32

Poll J wrote:Douglas has never been to a groomers - his coat isn't as shaggy as we originally thought it would be, so he looks a bit like some of the 'after' pictures on here. Do others not take their dogs to the groomers or am I being neglectful? (Actually the thought fills me with horror - I can't imagine that he would stand still long enough.)
I didnt think Marley would stand still either. He never liked me touching his paws as a pup. But he loves it and pulls me all the way to the groomers door. :D

Marley is F1 and has wavy thick coat so he is clipped right back every 2 months in the spring/summer as gets so hot.
Duffy is F2 with curlier thinner coat. She is 6 months and not been cut at all yet as doesnt seem to get hot like Marley. She loves going with big bro just to have a bath and blow dry though. :roll: :lol:

I also take them to the groomers rather than doing it myself as she also cuts their nails and I dont feel comfortable doing that.
Marley and Duffy

Allison

Post by Allison » 15 Jun 2010, 08:07

Max's coat is curly in places and shaggy in others. I don't like the 'shorn sheep' look, I think Max would look as though he was half starved, as he's quite lean ( he's nearly 8 months old). I have just bought a furminator (£7 from eBay ) which has taken the thick fur out, and sissors for the straggly bits. I too have doubts about Max sitting still for a groomer!
Allison & Max