Our Little Obi- as the weeks go by...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
obidoodle

Our Little Obi- as the weeks go by...

Post by obidoodle » 15 Jun 2010, 12:06

Well, we picked up Obi on Saturday and he howled for about half an hour, then settled down to sleep on our 5 hour journey home! Yes, it was a long way! He was very good though, although he hasn't enjoyed the school run in the car!

He seemed to settle into our home quite easily and enjoyed his first play and having a fuss made of him by our children!

The first night though.... I was up about 5 times in the night and felt exhausted, but he didn't have any accidents. Was up reading things on this forum in the early hours too....!

Sunday, we left him for longer, but ended up bringing his crate upstairs into the bedroom, which seemed to help. However we don't want to make that a permanent thing, so last night we left him downstairs and he howled again.

He messed twice and wet once, even though he uses the puppy pad if desprate during the day. He has usually gone to the door after a feed for us to take him out which is brilliant, but it is early days, so it isn't consistent! :roll:

We have been to the vet this morning for his first injection and check up and he was extremely good, no fuss even when having his ears looked at! We have started, from yesterday, weaning him onto a different food, and were going to do this gradually, but his stools have been quite loose since he came home and we noticed some blood/mucus in them, and on speaking to the vet, he says it is most likely colitis, not down to the food we have started giving him as the blood was there from Saturday evening, before we had started. He is fine in himself though and we have been given a bag of food, which shouldd sort him out, which will then be mixed with his new food towards the end of the bag and then hopefully he will feel more himself and won't be messy at night.

He loves his cuddles and is always sitting on or near our feet, he is so very loveable. Will post some more pics soon.

Parker

Re: Our Little Obi- as the weeks go by...

Post by Parker » 15 Jun 2010, 12:31

Awwww, Obi is gorgeous! What a lovely puppy. :D

My boy had colitis when he was younger and it turns out he is allergic to grains so he has none at all now and his tummy is now completely fine. We can tell very easily, however, if someone has slipped him something he shouldn't have had :roll:
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

obidoodle

Post by obidoodle » 15 Jun 2010, 13:26

Hi Jo,

We have been given some 'special diet' food from the vet to feed him, which we will then end up mixing in to James Wellbeloved food that we are planning on weaning him onto once he is near the end of the vets packet. He was weaned on Eukanuba by the breeder.

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Jun 2010, 14:23

Hello little Obi - how scrummy is he! I hope he settles inot his new routine soon :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 15 Jun 2010, 15:57

What a lovely boy, I can't advise on the night howling as my dogs have always been allowed in the bedroom, perversely Leon likes to sleep downstairs and just comes up to see us in the morning. It is not surprising they get lonely at night after being used to their mother and siblings being around.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 15 Jun 2010, 18:32

Awww, he is gorgeous, hope his tummy settles soon and he starts to sleep at night rather than howl!

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 15 Jun 2010, 18:42

Obi is just gorgeous , hope his tummy settles down soon :) Where did he come from :?: Anne x

Allison

Post by Allison » 15 Jun 2010, 19:10

A previous dog we had had colitis pretty much on and off throughout his life. However he was prescribed linco water, which is a medicine usually prescribed for pigs (or it was about 10 years ago. It worked a treat, (instantly if I remember) he had to keep on it, but it was just a table spoon mixed in with his supper. The vet said he swore by it ever since it cured him of the after effects of some dodgy prawns!
PS Obi is adorable!
Allison & Max

KateW

Post by KateW » 15 Jun 2010, 20:08

Obi looks adorable and I hope he is soon recovered from the colitis. Perhaps if he is distressed at night you could keep the crate in your room and gradually move it out to the landing over the next week or so, then place it downstairs when Obi is settled....

Katherine
ImageImage

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 15 Jun 2010, 20:37

obi is lovely, all you gud new dog owners!!! me two sleep in our room every night from day one almost!!! we get up in the night for wees or early around 5, then bk to bed till 7 even if we do ear easy jet takn off and landing!!! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 16 Jun 2010, 10:51

What a sweetie. I hope his tummy settles quickly. Need more pics of your little man - I love watching their colour changes at that age. :)

Sharron and Archie
Sharron and Archie

Beveth

Post by Beveth » 16 Jun 2010, 11:18

Welcome Obi, you are beautiful!

Having two pups we have not experienced the night howls, but in the past when we had our first dog (no electricity then ho ho) we settled her with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and a large teddy. My two now sleep with a 'night night' bear which is taken away in the day. As soon as the bear goes in their bed they know it's time to sleep. Just a thought - it may help ... or not bless him!
Beverley
Bertie and Banjo
Blog: http://beveth.wordpress.com

Glitterbug

Post by Glitterbug » 16 Jun 2010, 20:45

Welcome home Obi. Can't wait to see more pics. How is his tum now? Piet howled on his first night and OH forbade me to go down as he knew that if I did then we would end up with him in the bedroom. :lol: It was hard but on the second night he had got the hang of the crate and was dry all night with a little whimper for about 20 mins. After that as good as gold and never any accidents in his crate. He sleeps in there in the day too (with a little assistance as won't go in of his own accord). He is now also starting to sleep on the kitchen floor as it is slate and cool in the summer.
Hope you are enjoying your Obi. :D
ImageImageImageImage

obidoodle

Post by obidoodle » 17 Jun 2010, 12:40

Obi has now been with us for four full days. Still has his funny tum, but we are hoping over the next week it will start to calm down now he has been having the prescription food from the vet. Has this worked for other people's dog that have had colitis, or have you ended up having to resort to something else in the end. He will be weaned onto James Wellbeloved by the time he has finished the prescribed stuff.

In the end, due to some much needed sleep, we ended up bringing his crate upto our bedroom on Monday night as he had made an almighty mess over the kitchen floor before I managed to get down to him. Clearing up.... at 3am not really what I had planned!

He didn't like being shut in the crate at night, nor during the day at the mo, but as soon as we got him upstars in in, covered it over, he slept like an angel from 11.30pm to 6am Only one wee, on the pad, then got him up and took him out and hey presto, a poo!

Last night, he went at 11, then we woke up at 7 and again he had wee'd, but not made a noise, so all in all two nights sleep for all of us!
:D

Then it is the task of getting him downstairs!!

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 17 Jun 2010, 15:08

I wouldn't worry too much about getting him downstairs, after all he is only a baby. You kind of realise after they've been with you a bit how very young and bewildered they were when you first got them.. being left on your own can hardly be very reassuring if you are a baby! And they do get much more relaxed as they get older and if you can teach him to roll over or shake a paw when he's 4 months or whatever, you can surely teach him bit by bit to sleep downstairs.

Also as they get older and more relaxed they tend to fall asleep as soon as they have had their bedtime routine, and you can easily move the cage back a little each time they have dropped off.

The first night our pup whined, and I lay there thinking, I'm never going to get any sleep... then for some reason stared singing, rock a by puppy, on the tree top... my husband joined in, and then he started singing Dream, dream dream, when I want you etc, (Which he used to sing to our kids) and i joined in with it too, and she fell deeply asleep before we had finished!

We tok ours out at about 3 to go to the loo which she did in the garden, then popped her back in her cage. We set an alarm. This way there was never an accident and it made things easier in that she never soiled or weed in her cage. At about 2 and a half months one night we forgot the alarm and she had slept through, dry... and she's never needed to go out since. in the night!!!! :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx