Just had to leave Murphy at the vets :o(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
iwantadog

Just had to leave Murphy at the vets :o(

Post by iwantadog » 26 Jun 2010, 10:25

I am feeling very guilty this morning.

Murphy had a tick about a month ago which I thought I had removed. The other day I noticed it was a bit red and swollen where the tick had been, so I made an appointment at the vets. I took him this morning and the vet said I had left the head in and he's got to remove it under sedation. I feel very guilty, and have learnt a lesson - next time take him to the vets to remove it, or buy a tick remover rather than tweezers.

I can phone at 12 and see how he is, but it does seem very quiet in the house without him. :cry:

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

KateW

Re: Just had to leave Murphy at the vets :o(

Post by KateW » 26 Jun 2010, 10:33

Oh, poor Murphy :( I am sure he will be fine, just very subdued from the sedative when he comes home.....

We are lucky enough not to be plagued by the wretched ticks but it is easy enough to miss the head so don't feel guilty, Wendy.

Let us know how Murphy is later please.

Katherine
ImageImage

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 26 Jun 2010, 11:59

Sorry to hear about Murphy. :(
Lots of tlc on his return, no doubt. :)
I have been lucky so far in the tick department with regard to Ben.
I did take a wren to the vet once, and he said "Do you want me to take the tick off the wren, or the wren off the tick?"
It was a huge sheep tick!
(The wren recovered after a hefty helping of mealworms to get her strength back.)
Anyway - back to the dogs.
My vet has supplied me - not cheap! - with "Frontline" spray to deal with ticks if found on Ben.
Not to use as a matter of course but to spray direct onto tick if found.
Has anyone else tried this?
I think I might get a pair of the special tick remover tweezers just in case.
Others recommend vaseline / baby oil etc. to drown the blighter out - does that work?
Perhaps we should start a dedicated tick thread.
Ben sends a "woof" to Murphy, which I think translates as "make Mummy pay"! :lol: :lol:

Ann & Ben

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 26 Jun 2010, 13:03

Poor Murphy, ticks are horrid things. The main thing to remember about removing them is to grab the part next to the skin where the head is and twist round and round, the tick will let go of its own accord. We bought special tweezers years ago for our first dog, they are well worth the investment.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 26 Jun 2010, 14:05

Poor Murphy, and you. It's an awful feeling when you have to leave them but he will be fine. After luckily managing to remove two ticks with tweezers I bought a gadget, but thankfully haven't had to use it yet. It's good knowing it's there though and was only about £2 from the vets.

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Jun 2010, 14:15

It's a really bad year for ticks it seems! I've tried feeding garlic for a few months now, but it just isn't doing the trick so I've given up and gone for the Prac-tic spot on :( . The trouble with relying on removing them is that there are some ticks that are just too small for even the smallest of the tick removers, and the methods that are suppsed to make them uncomfortable so they drop off are not recommended because of that regurgitating the blood back into the dog business (gross!).

I did the same as you Wendy, last week, when I tried to get a tiny tick off with my finger nails, and left the head in. Luckily we were going to the vet that day anyway, so he got stuck in with a needle and gouged it out before it got swollen and nasty. Lots of cuddles for Murphy when he gets hme!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 26 Jun 2010, 17:13

He's home and is absolutely fine now, he was a bit dopey when I first collected him, and has a nice shaved bit on his leg as he had to have the sedation via IV, but has just been for a nice walk and back to his usual 100% and my bank account is only £36 lighter, so not as bad as it could have been! The vet said it was a huge head and he doubted that he would have been able to get it out without leaving the head in, which made me feel a bit better. He's got the wound glued up, so no swimming today, but he should be ok tomorrow to swim.

I've invested in a tick remover and am going back on Monday to get the new frontline tick and flea spot on, can't remember what it's called, but apparently it stops the ticks biting.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 26 Jun 2010, 17:28

Glad Murphy is home and that he can swim again tomorrow :D I can't imagine how people not near some water are managing with their dogs in this heat.......

Katherine
ImageImage

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 26 Jun 2010, 18:26

Wendy I am pleased to hear Murphy is home and happy :D

As for my feelings on ticks...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 26 Jun 2010, 20:35

Glad things worked out ok for Murphy in the end but don't buy your Frontline at the vets it's very expensive.

Google it.... we usually use PETMEDS or VIOVET big big savings to made against vets prices and its usually there with us the next day.....
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 26 Jun 2010, 20:55

Dexter's had lots of ticks this year - I use the "O-tom" to remoce them and have been giving them "Billy no mates" herbal supplements. I haven't noticed any for several days now so hopefully the herbs are begininng to work.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 26 Jun 2010, 20:58

Glad he is home and okay. I took one from Marley the other day - GROSS! I too have invested in the Tick remover. OH a bit wary of adding chemicals to him so not convinced about the Frontline. I will ask the vet what she recommends when he is back next week for his next allergy vaccine (the reason OH doesn't want to add more to him). He's only had one so far, but I had my last dog for 14 years and he never had one! Don't you need a prescrption to buy Frontline from internet? Do you just ask the vet to give you one? Never done it before.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Beveth

Post by Beveth » 26 Jun 2010, 21:28

We are inundated with ticks here - live next to farm and between Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor with lots of cattle and sheep. I use tweezers or tick remover, but I also use Advocate drop on which is meant to kill them (I never give it time!). One trick I was told years ago which seems to work well is always to twist the tick anti-clockwise as the tick locks is mouth in clockwise. I haven't left anything behind for a very long time.
Beverley
Bertie and Banjo
Blog: http://beveth.wordpress.com

Kittypickle

Post by Kittypickle » 27 Jun 2010, 10:02

Glad he is home. Horrible things ticks, the cat had one recently. I confidently cracked open my brand new tick removing thingy and set about removing it only to find I couldn't. DH had a go and did it straight away. Very annoying but he's shot himself in the foot now as he's nominated chief tick remover, serves him right for looking smug.

carly

Post by carly » 28 Jun 2010, 14:27

I'm really glad Murphy is feeling better now Wendy.

Lots of hugs from us :D

Carly & Logan