Marley has kennel cough :(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
trinared

Marley has kennel cough :(

Post by trinared » 28 Jun 2010, 19:54

Poor Marls started hacking away yesterday and bringing up an odd bit of white froth (sorry :oops: ) then this morning had a gunky eye too.
Trip to the vets this evening and kennel cough confirmed :roll: Vet scared the life out of me by saying that quite a few cases owners thought were kennel cough were actually lung worm :shock: but confirmed Marley's is just in his throat so no need to panic.
Duffy is 99% going to get it too :(

So... no more doggy day care or playing with other dogs until his coughing stops and he is no longer infectious. :( Had to tell the neighbours as they have a dog and being opposite sides of the fence is close enough to catch it. That went down well :roll: :|

One thing I forgot to ask in my relief that he will be ok is about vaccinations. Are these the nasal sprays and how long does the vaccination last? I feel bad for not having them vaccinated before but thought they could only catch it if spent long periods of time with other dogs (like in kennels of course) and didnt realise just playing with another dog for a few minutes is enough... and of course doggy day care...

Does anyone else have an opinion on vaccination and if its worth doing? Thank you x
Marley and Duffy

Liz!

Re: Marley has kennel cough :(

Post by Liz! » 28 Jun 2010, 20:00

i don't know! Are puppies vaccinated against it, or is it something you have to get done extra? hope he gets better soon...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

trinared

Post by trinared » 28 Jun 2010, 20:04

When we had them vaccinated as pups the vet told us to get the KC vaccination if they were going to kennels or to dog shows etc with large groups of dogs. It wasnt something offered as matter of course.

This now seems to contradict what the vet today told me that they can catch it merely by "being in another dogs air space".

Same vet practice, different vet as I recall.
Marley and Duffy

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 28 Jun 2010, 20:16

That's interesting, I'll go down tomorrow and check... after all Lola has to go into all sorts of places where other dogs have been, as she goes everywhere with me.

If lots of our dogs here are getting it must be quite prevalent at the moment.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

MUMMYBUCK

Post by MUMMYBUCK » 28 Jun 2010, 20:49

I was heart broken when Meg got it at easter - we were on holiday in Pompy. I didnt understand how where or why she had got it she had never been in kennels or in company of lots of dogs. I was told at the vets they only need kennel cough vaccine if they are going in kennels. I wish I'd had her vaccinated and I will ask every year when she goes for her boosters
mummybuck and MegImage

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 28 Jun 2010, 20:54

Code: Select all

Sorry about Marley Debbie.   We had to get Holly & Daisy vaccinated as they were going into kennels that wouldn't accept them without it, I too wouldn't have had it done apart from this.  They both had it done and were fine after it and they were supposed to be covered a week after they had it done.  It's strange i've been back since and they didn't ask me or tell me that we required another one or if it had run out.  Might be worth asking your vet. 

Janette 
ImageImage

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 28 Jun 2010, 21:22

The vet can tell you if Lung Worm is in your post code area.Ihope hes better soon.Freda

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Jun 2010, 21:26

Poor Marley :( - I hopes he's over it soon.

I know that most kennels ask for dogs to have the KC vaccine, but imo it isn't worth getting it otherwise, because it only protects dogs against a particular strain, and there are loads of different strains about. Mind you, we haven't had it yet (touching wood as I type) so I guess I might think differently if I had coughing doodles :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

marymm

Post by marymm » 28 Jun 2010, 21:46

I was told that once the dog has had kennel cough they build up an immunity and it is not necessary to get them innoculated. Mylee had a cough last year, I'm not convinced that it was Kennel cough as she had no other symptoms, but she had a urine infection at the same time and had antibiotics for both and I did quarantine her even though the cough cleared up really quickly.
Mylee and Mary

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 28 Jun 2010, 21:51

hope Marley gets better soon!! :( poor boy!

Buddy had kennel cough vaccine just cuz the vet recommended it, so we did 'just incase', they said a lot of dogs catch it from others in our local forest, where we all go walking, n she sees it a lot so i went for the vaccine as the safe option!

If the vet had offered it, I said no thanks and then he did get it :shock: i would feel pretty awful!! :oops: :roll:
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

trinared

Post by trinared » 28 Jun 2010, 22:05

Thanks everyone.

I am less worried after he has managed to polish off half my macaroni cheese when I wasnt looking :shock: :roll: He is not having anti Bs, the vet said to let it run its course as like a human getting a cold/cough (some can be worse than others of course and being male who knows :wink: ) and Marley is healthy otherwise.

Lung worm is about in this area the vet says, so for those in Peterborough be aware. Fortunately Marley doesnt eat slugs/snails, but Duffy picks up anything so will be vigilant with her. We worm them with Milbemax which vet tells me does give some protection against lungworm.
Marley and Duffy

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 28 Jun 2010, 22:42

Be warned. Jack and Becky both got kennel cough when younger and we were told to keep them well away from any other dogs for three weeks isolation.

If you are getting Duffy groomed in that time you should phone your groomer and enquire if they are happy to do it or want you to wait a bit.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 28 Jun 2010, 23:24

Poor Marley how is he doing Juneau is just getting over kennel cough just now and our vet gave him a steroid injection and AB's . It is very stressful to listen to so I imagine the dogs are very stressed.

Our vet told us he would be infectious for 2week before coughing and 2 weeks after, it can survive for long periods of time on grass and not to walk him in areas where other dogs are likely to go and onl lead walks. Not to let him socialize with other dogs.

Get well soon Marley
New doodler - its a good excuse for being a bit dotty

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 29 Jun 2010, 00:04

Ours had it last year, it sounds really bad but according to our vet it's like a common cold - very infectious but usually not that serious. And like a cold, a vaccine will only protect against the most common strains that year. The pain is in keeping them away from other dogs for a couple of weeks :(

KateW

Post by KateW » 29 Jun 2010, 10:55

What a nuisance, Debbie. Hope Marley soon makes a full recovery....And that if Duffy is going to contract it, it happens soon so you don't have an even longer quarantine period.

We don't usually vaccinate against KC; as others have said there are so many different strains that it is impossible to get full protection. And we meet so many dogs from all over the place when they are on holiday here. However, I did get Rufus vaccinated just after my Dad died as I knew he would have to go into kennels for a day or two.

Katherine
ImageImage