COCKERPOO or SPOODLE?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
millymolly

COCKERPOO or SPOODLE?

Post by millymolly » 04 Jul 2010, 21:36

We have had Isla for 3 years now and we love her to bits!I am a childminder and she is great with the children and if she does get fed up she just takes herself off to her bed.We are thinking about getting another dog later on this year we have seen a few cockerpoos and love them but now my OH has decided that he fancies a spoodle :roll: so now I am realy confused :? So was just wondering what everyone elses opinion was Cockerpoo or Spoodle?!?!?!?!?

MrsAdmin

Re: COCKERPOO or SPOODLE?

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Jul 2010, 21:47

Check out the thread on two Doodles, same things apply really regardless of type of dog, check out the Labradoodle Trust pages on getting a second dog and check out the Cockerpoo forums to get all the low down on the good, and not so good, points about Cockerpoos. I'm not sure if there are Spoodle forums but worth checking them out.

My personal view is that, whilst they are lovely dogs, Cockerpoos have very different personalities to Doodles in many ways, and sometimes Spoodles can be exceptionally bright dogs (from the Poodle) but also exceptionally hyper (from the cocker side) but that is only my view :| .

You could always offer to foster one first. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

thepooles

Post by thepooles » 04 Jul 2010, 21:54

i always thought that cockerpoos and spoodles were the same thing??????

shows you what i know :D

KateW

Post by KateW » 04 Jul 2010, 22:29

thepooles wrote:i always thought that cockerpoos and spoodles were the same thing??????

shows you what i know :D
Unless things have changed very recently (you could read a phd in dog cross names :) ) that's what I understand although I think some people refer to Springer X SPs by this name......

I also understand that the American Cocker Spaniel has fewer health risks than the English Cocker Spaniel. All the cocker poos I have met have been delightful as have the jackapoos. I met a spanador yesterday (lab X spaniel) which was also very sweet.

It does seem more difficult to identify the health tests some of these breeds need.

Katherine
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Jul 2010, 22:33

Having had a hunt about the net, you are actually quite right Pooles :P The cockerpoos I have met have always been quite small so I, probably mistakenly, thought that Spoodles were bigger dogs than cockerpoos and from a different version of Spaniels, such as Springers x Poodles, as opposed to Cockers x Poodles :lol:

I found this online, which might help with the personality differences, especially cocker rage problems :cry: It's from the States but the same applies in Britain.

Spoodles are another name for the already established Cockapoo.

There can be both pros and cons to this breed crossing.

On the Pro side: Poodles are intelligent dogs. Originally created for water retrieval of game birds, they are able to think for themselves, they are motivated dogs, active, playful, generally loving in nature (Big, Fat CON: unless they come from poor bloodlines which do exist and can result in an easily stressed, nervous personality that is too highly strung to successfully interact as a FAMILY PET). They are almost always HYPOALLERGENIC because they have HAIR not FUR as most dogs do. (I don't think this is to be trusted - NO dog is hypoallergenic, even Poodles - you can be allergic to dog saliva for starters :evil: ) They come in several sizes to further meet the needs of most people.

Cocker Spaniels also have pros and cons, but unfortunately at this time the cons are fairly MAJOR in nature, in my personal opinion.

Having become the most popular family dog at one point in time...(late 1950's through 1060's) due to their THEN calm nature, friendly personalities, and small size, they became OVER BRED...to meet the willing demand for them. Private owners (also known as back yard breeders...a shame because not all backyard breeders are bad...) and then Puppy Mills began to breed INDISCRIMINATELY and with no thought or concern beyond cranking out puppies...without attention to bloodlines at all...much as they still do TODAY.

The poor Cockers went from a happy, willing, well adjusted family pet...to an unstable personality that they are still struggling to overcome. Cockers from lines OUT SIDE of the United States are in better shape and are closer to the "old style" original Cocker.

Not unlike GSD's from the USA, American bred Cockers HAVE PROBLEMS. Eye problems, temperament problems, general health problems. At one point several years ago, the Cocker had the highest bite count in the USA for several years running. (would you believe that the wonderful, faithful LAB has now reached a similar status in the past 5 years!!!!! Again thanks to popularity, Puppy Mills, and shoddy breeding practices by private individual...THE LAB, FOR GOD SAKE!!!)

So...before I would say go for a Spoodle...I'd have to say LOOK TO THE BLOODLINES that created the puppy...where did the parents come from?
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Elbumble

Post by Elbumble » 04 Jul 2010, 22:39

I love cockapoos :mrgreen: I don't really know what difference there is between them and a Spoodle tbh, but cocker spaniels are rather lively (I had them growing up)... a cockapoo would be smaller, but this this also depends on what size the poodle puppy parent is!

linny

Post by linny » 04 Jul 2010, 23:13

Met a twelve month old Cockerpoo in the local park last week :D
His owners were an older couple that had kept Labradors all their married life but the man's view was this.........."he has stolen our hearts , he can twist us around his little paw and he is very intelligent and easily trained, we are totally besotted with him" :lol: :lol:
He was indeed a smashing little dog......I have pointed them in the direction of this site and hope that they will try and make a future meet.
He was quite small...... about the size of a Cocker Spaniel and his coat was beautiful, really soft and silky :)

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Jul 2010, 23:17

What's the difference between a English Cocker Spaniel and English Springer Spaniel, other than the name?

The most obvious difference is the size.
English Cockers weigh up to 35 pounds, and the English Springer will weight up to 55 pounds.
Both were bred for flushing upland birds, but the springer's size is of help in taller growth, as they are longer legged..

The springer to be more serious and work oriented, and the cocker can be more clownish.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 04 Jul 2010, 23:24

I always thought that a Spoodle was a Springer cross Poodle and a Cockerpoo was a Cocker X Poodle

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 04 Jul 2010, 23:34

I believe a cockerpoo (or cockapoo) to be a cocker spaniel (English or American) x poodle (toy or miniature) and a spoodle a springer spaniel x poodle. Although in Australia I believe that all of the above are called spoodles.

I have 2 cockerpoos - one from a reputable breeder (IMO) and one from a puppy farm (via rescue). They are fantastic dogs, seem very similar to doodles, apart from Darcey's nose never leaving the floor! Having said that, Jasper (F2 Labradoodle) seems the most laid back puppy EVER, not sure if that's just him or because the others were hyper puppies???

On health testing the parents should be tested for the normal tests that the parent breeds should undergo.

KateW

Post by KateW » 05 Jul 2010, 00:14

Freddies_mum wrote:
On health testing the parents should be tested for the normal tests that the parent breeds should undergo.
I have recently been involved with helping somebody who wanted a nice healthy little JRT as their first dog and it proved impossible to find one locally whose parents had been health tested. The prices ranged from £75 to over £500 for a Parsons and in the course of all the telephone calls I spoke to somebody who was advertising health tested jackapoos. When I asked her to tell me about the health tests she informed me that the dogs had a clean bill of health from the vets :shock:

I think the many poodle crosses who are not labradoodles or goldendoodles are rather the poor relations in this whole question of health testing as it is comparitively easy to find out what tests the parents of the doodles should have thanks to sites such as this and the Labradoodle Trust site.

Katherine
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jul 2010, 10:15

Just to add to the confusion, there seems to be a new trend around here with the shooting folk, English working cockers. They seem to be quite different in looks to the usual English cocker. I wonder if they came about because of the giddiness often seen in modern cockers :? . I bet a poodle crossed with an English working cocker would make a fab working dog!
Our trainer breeds working cockers - if you want to see what they look like http://www.corbinsberedogtraining.co.uk/9.html
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

linny

Post by linny » 05 Jul 2010, 10:24

I would think that health testing a JRT would involve many different tests Katherine being as how the "Breed" incorporates infusions of many breeds.
Obviously they now have a standard or the KC wouldn't have recognised them as a breed n their own right.
As for problems with the breed
Luxation of the patella is one problem that comes to mind , it's very common in JRT's and eye problems particularly with rotation of the lens of the eye (Roscoe's problem)

graciedoodle

Post by graciedoodle » 05 Jul 2010, 10:49

Hi, JRT are not registered at the K.C. Parson Russell Terriers are though. Both do suffer from PRA, and if being bred from, at least one parent should have a normal/clear PRA test result. Temperement testing is advisable too. I have had 2 Jacks and 1 Parson and have been very lucky with their temperaments. No problems with them at all. :D
experienced hobby labradoodle breeder.all parents health tested and pups reared indoors and garden.f1s,f1bs and minis occasionly available.

cathox

Post by cathox » 05 Jul 2010, 11:56

My friend has a 9 month old cockerpoo and she is crazy! She talks loads as well (really!) She is a lovely little dog but as crazy and bouncy as a doodle.