Want to get a doodle in Jan '11....

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
baby_depardieu

Want to get a doodle in Jan '11....

Post by baby_depardieu » 31 Jul 2010, 09:08

Hi there,

We are planning to get a doodle in January 2011... but im unsure when i should start looking. Im not sure there are many breeders near us.... (Nottinghamshire).... obviously we are prepared to travel a bit, but realistically not TOO far.... so surrounding counties etc.

The other thing is, am i right in thinking there is a MASSIVE premium on mini / medium doodles? I think we need a smaller doodle to fit with our family, but i was quoted 1200 for a puppy the other day which i thought was a bit much.... Im more than happy to pay for the right dog/breeder's hard work... but that seemed a lot.

Id love to go and have a look at some doodles in the flesh to see the dog / temperament etc.... as its such a big decision to make. Ive grown up with golden retrievers / newfoundlands.... but want something a little smaller now i have my own family.

Im also looking for a doodle with a wavy scruffy coat - should i be looking at the F1's? The only breeder near me has F3 but im not sure if they will have the type of coat we want...

Sorry for all the questions but this seems the best place to ask...

Thanks
:D
The friendship of a dog is, without a doubt, more intense and more constant than that of man.~ Montaigne

blueboysgirl

Re: Want to get a doodle in Jan '11....

Post by blueboysgirl » 31 Jul 2010, 09:40

Probably the best thing to do is to go to a MESS meeting near you.
There should be some more coming up in August.
You won't look silly going without a dog, there are many people who want to check out
tempraments, coat quality etc before they commit to a dog of their own!! :D

An F1 will normally have the wavy coat like you described, and the F1b's have the more curly coats.
Don't know about prices for minis, mine's an F1 standard and quite big. :roll: and I paid £650.
There is a thread somewhere on "how much did you pay for your Doodle"

Whatever you decide, a Labradoodle will be bouncy and loving, non-agressive and the best dog you will
ever have :P
Goog luck!!
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 31 Jul 2010, 10:03

Hi,

I am near Nottingham and sorry not aware of any breeders in the area. When we got Ivy she came from a one off breeder in Sheffield and we rehomed Cookie at 5 months from Leeds.

Ivy is an F1 miniature and is more lab looking but with a scruffy coat, she is very very bouncy but has a good temperant, Cookie is an F1b horse :lol: and has a curly coat that does need to clipped and is also very bouncy :lol: .

Hth,
Clare,Ivy, Cookie and Barney x
A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

KateW

Post by KateW » 31 Jul 2010, 10:30

Hello and welcome

It is difficult to predict the ultimate size and coat of doodles; you may like to have a look at the Snuggles thread which is a kind of blog written by the owners of a particular litter following their first year. You will see from the photos how differently siblings can turn out. Here's the link
http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... hp?t=12100

The Labradoodle Trust site has a lot of information on choosing a puppy and have a look on here at the breeders code of practice.

http://www.labradoodletrust.com/

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... f=1&t=6560

I don't think there is a massive premium for smaller doodles but there is a great deal of difference in the prices being asked for doodles. It is by no means the case that the better breeders charge the highest prices; what you need to do is find a breeder you are happy with who has done all the necessary health testing. An experienced breeder will have a good idea of how their pups will mature but there are no guarantees.....The Australian doodles are another matter but I think you are probably looking for an F1. The F3 you mention locally is likely to have a curlier coat than you want but you could ask for photos of any previous litters mature coats; most good breeders keep in touch with new owners and will have photos.

Do try to go to one of the regular doodle walks as this will give you the opportunity to meet a range of doodles and also to talk to owners informally about breeders,etc.

Enjoy your search
Katherine
ImageImage

baby_depardieu

Post by baby_depardieu » 31 Jul 2010, 11:36

Thanks everyone for your replies...

Ive just got the tape measure out and think its got to be a miniature / medium.. at least there is room then for a little unpredictability in size... :wink:

I think i will def try and go and meet up with all the East midlands owners when they do their planned meet up... and until then i will be trawling the internet for the right breeder to go and visit and badgering any doodle owners i might see in the street :lol:

I hope to be back with the new addition ... but until then, i'll probably be asking more questions
The friendship of a dog is, without a doubt, more intense and more constant than that of man.~ Montaigne

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 Jul 2010, 12:18

Everyone on here loves posting photos of their dogs, so why not search around the forum for pictures that you think might be what you are looking for, then pm the owners and ask where they got their doodles from, and if they would recommend the breeder. Personal recommendation is always a good starting point imo! Good luck - hope we see you back here with your little bundle of fluff in the new year!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

DizzyDora

Post by DizzyDora » 31 Jul 2010, 14:35

I am near Nottingham and sorry not aware of any breeders in the area.
Sorry to say winnieb there are quite a few people around Leics / Notts / Derby border area,
who do breed labradoodles. I have seen pups forsale locally & last week my friend
went to look at them & when she asked about heath testing was looked at with astonishment.

Please listen to the advice given by KateW & the others & follow the Puppy buying guide,
closest to home could be good but always research your breeder first

I hope you find just what you are looking when you are ready & hope to see you at a midlands meet.

DizzyDora & Kona

Have Doodles Laugh Oodles

georgied

Post by georgied » 31 Jul 2010, 20:44

Hi there,
How exciting for you and your family!

We bought Hank our golden wavy/curly coated F1b standard labradoodle from Catlow Labradoodles in Burnley,Lancashire (we live in Leeds) and could not speak highly enough of them. Catherine is fantastic, however she does not breed minatures.

We researched lots of breeders before we decided to go with Catlow. What you must remember about labradoodles is the unpredictabilty in terms of how they will turn out i.e height and coat.

One of my friends bought an F1 minature labradoodle from Rosedale Doodles and he is going to huge. Alternatively my other friend bought an F1b minature labradoodle from the same breeder and she is the size of a lhasa apso. They paid £750 for theirs.

Hank is nearly 13 months old and is 26" to the shoulder and is about 28kg. We paid £450.00 for him and was worth every penny! We live in a 2 bedroom apartment on the fourth floor and his size is not a problem. To be honest at home, we don't even know we've got him!

We visited Rosedale Doodles (Preston) and Foxisle Gundogs (Doncaster) who both breed minatures, they were both good breeders also. They all have websites on google.
The £1200 doodles sound like Pure Australian Labradoodles who are a completely different kettle of fish!! It is worth travelling to get the perfect pup!

If you have any other questions, don't worry about asking. Everyone is really friendly on this forum and will be more than happy to help seen as we are all Labradoodle mad!! :D

Georgie & Hank xx

winnieb

Post by winnieb » 31 Jul 2010, 20:51

We visited Rosedale Doodles (Preston) and Foxisle Gundogs (Doncaster) who both breed minatures, they were both good breeders also. They all have websites on google.
Cookie came from Foxisle Gundogs in Doncaster and she is a star :D :D , we have all her paperwork from previous owner and she is a very happliy contented doodle , however she is huuuuuge :lol:
Clare,Ivy, Cookie and Barney x
A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 31 Jul 2010, 21:13

Are you willing to travel to get your special dog?
Doodle Post also list breeders who abide by the code which means they comply with the health checks which helps to prevent problems in doods.
Dexter (black) is an F1 and Colin is F1b.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

baby_depardieu

Post by baby_depardieu » 31 Jul 2010, 21:50

again thanks so much for all your advice.....

All your dogs are just lovely...

I will check out the breeders you mention...

:D

Raini

Post by Raini » 01 Aug 2010, 19:25

Hi , I have a miniature F1 Doodle called Seren and I think you do pay more for a "MINI" Dood . I paid £1000 for her - although it sounds a lot - she is definitely worth every penny and I wouldn't change anything about her , but I also wanted a smaller dog and it had to be a Doodle so I guess in this instant I got what I paid for. Anyway although I don't understand the pricing of sizes of Doods - Seren is priceless to me and I can't imagine my life without her . I hope you find a Doodle soon and I can't recommend Mini Doodles enough !!!
Imagettp://i839.photobucket.com/alImagebums/zz312/LorraineLucas/Seren/DSCN0284.jpg[/img]