Dog friendly beaches around Beer/Seaton/Sidmouth

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
iwantadog

Dog friendly beaches around Beer/Seaton/Sidmouth

Post by iwantadog » 19 Aug 2010, 16:17

We are going camping in Beer in Devon for the August bank holiday. I've just been looking at the council website and it appears that basically dogs are not allowed on the beaches there at all. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so where are there some good dog walks?

Thank you in advance.

Wendy & Murphy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

gilly1709

Re: Dog friendly beaches around Beer/Seaton/Sidmouth

Post by gilly1709 » 19 Aug 2010, 17:01

I live on the South Coast and although I can't be sure I reckon it will be the same as where I live.

In the bigger holiday towns Dogs aren't allowed on the "main" beaches during the summer hours. It tends to be designated areas so if you walk a little further along and away from the main/busy bits it's not a problem. Many of the surrounding seaside villages won't have the ban in place either so i'm sure there will be plenty of places to take Murphy.

Simon
ImageImage
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 19 Aug 2010, 17:28

I hope so! We live in Poole so I realise that there will be restrictions on most beaches, but was hoping that there would be some dog friendly areas on most of the beaches, as there is from Bournemouth beach down to Sandbanks.

Wendy x

JasperS

Post by JasperS » 19 Aug 2010, 17:47

We used this when we went to Devon recently:

http://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/dog.php

We were at Tavistock though so went north to Widemouth Bay and Sandymouth Beach near Bude.

lindyloo

Post by lindyloo » 19 Aug 2010, 21:58

Hi we have just been to Charmouth where we were not allowed to take Biddy on the beach so we drove to Beer one day and Seaton the next and there is a section at both resorts where you can take the dog all day. Hope this helps

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 20 Aug 2010, 08:11

I have just checked my local guide and dogs are allowed on Branscombe beach with no restrictions. It is located between Sidmouth and Beer and is the site where the container ship was beached a few years ago.

There are many clifftop walks along the coast here but if you want to avoid cliffs, then a lovely walk is at Otterton where you can walk alongside the River Otter where there is great swimming for doods. There are also a couple of dog-friendly pubs there. We went there for a walk one evening last week and Podge thoroughly enjoyed it.

Another good beach is Exmouth where you can take dogs at either end of the beach. Try to time your visit when the tide is low and you can walk from Orcombe Point almost to Sandy Bay or at the other end of Exmouth Beach you can walk from about one third of the way along, then around the marina and back onto the beach where it joins the River Exe and this is a great area for dogs.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip. :D

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 20 Aug 2010, 08:32

Brilliant! Thank you everyone.

Wendy x