Centre Parc's fun with two doodles.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lizzie tb

Centre Parc's fun with two doodles.

Post by lizzie tb » 28 Aug 2010, 12:11

We've been to Centre Parcs at Whinfell on holiday. I was surprised how dog friendly it was. The dogs enjoyed it after a while, when they settled. Bertie was worst as he cried when I went out of sight. Thank goodness for something called Serenity tablets, I picked them up by chance at a pet shop. They're a herbal remedy and I popped one in his mouth after a sleepless night (both me and Bertie). What a difference it made.
They both had lots of walks, loved seeing the ducks, they were bemused by the very large dogs (llamas) that were been walked.
Lots of people stopped me to ask if they were labradoodles and chatted to me. Quite a few people had photos taken with them too?!
They had to be on lead all the time except in the dog exercise area which was very small and they weren't too keen on.

blueboysgirl

Re: Centre Parc's fun with two doodles.

Post by blueboysgirl » 28 Aug 2010, 12:19

How fantastic!!
We're thinking of a doggy holiday next year, rather than the usual trek to Greece to see the folks, and you've just inspired me to look into Centre Parcs.
Isn't it funny how people are fascinated by Labradoodles? They are, when all's said and done, a mongrel, but so many people love them!!!
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 28 Aug 2010, 13:19

Sounds really nice, I bet you attracted a lot of attention passing by. Is Centre Parcs really expensive for dogs? I think I've looked into it in the past. I've only ever been to Centre Parcs for two hen dos in the past, so pups stayed home with OH.

KateW

Post by KateW » 28 Aug 2010, 14:14

Sounds great fun, Elizabeth. I used to know the area around Penrith very well but hadn't realised there was a Centre Parc there....Did you see any red squirrels ? I love the area but am always worried about Rufus and the number of free range sheep on the fellswhich would mean he was on the lead all the time. Was the dog exercise area really small ?

Anyway nice to have you back with us....

Katherine
ImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 28 Aug 2010, 16:17

Hi thanks everyone and thanks Katherine. we did have a good time. We did see a red squirrel outside the villa, I took a photo it's below, but you can't really see the squirrel. There are about 160 at Whinfell in 500 acres and a warden to keep the greys out!
The villa was a bit worn and on the outside of the development, but they're being refurbished next month and the pictures look fabulous. It was all laminate flooring throughout, I assume to reduce mess from the dogs. I took their crates with me so they felt 'at home'.
The exercise area is a bit too small but there again if you took a ball etc, it would be ok. My enjoyed all the smells and had a good sniff. They preferred the small lake we found. That's where the llamas were on leads, the dogs just stared and stared!
:lol: :shock:
We paid £40 each for the dogs to go and we booked about 15 months in advance as the dog villas are very popular,
One family was really taken with the dogs and they all took turns to have photos took with them. Toby and Bertie were very patient, especially Bertie (must have been the Serenity tablets) :lol: :lol:

KateW

Post by KateW » 28 Aug 2010, 20:00

I love the rapt body language of the dynamic duo as they watch the llamas :lol:

Just wondering, Elizabeth; do the villas which allow dogs have a small enclosed garden ?

Katherine
ImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 28 Aug 2010, 23:11

No Katherine, they didn't have a small garden, I 'd thought iof that too, it would have been handy so I sent off a suggestion letter to them. Because I wasn't sure I bought a tie out stake at the last minute, it was a good job as they didn't provide one of those either. To be honest I don't know what the £80.00 I paid was for as nothing was provided specifically for the dogs, so I assume it was for cleaning. Perhaps they steam clean the furniture after each dog stay?
They put a sign in the villas to say a dog is in them, but I noticed people were staying in designated villas without dogs, so they must let them to anyone who pays so they must want to make sure the villas don't have a dog smell?
I'm just guessing of course.
Still was fun though and very peaceful walking.

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 02 Sep 2010, 00:41

We were there in May this year and although we didn't take Juneau we took Zoe who is too old to be put in kennels and were very disappointed that there was no where decent to let the dogs off lead for proper excercise and the area to take them to was so small.
Having children I felt Juneau would have spent a lot of time in the lodge whie we were off doing some activities with the children and in my case Juneau loves going to the kennels where he is spoiled rotten.
In July we were in a bunglow in Moffat with grounds and although the bungalow was not perfect it had fantastic grounds that were quite private and both Juneau and the kids loved it, they all had the freedom to come and go without worry.
New doodler - its a good excuse for being a bit dotty

tillydoodle

Post by tillydoodle » 02 Sep 2010, 19:18

My husband took our Grandaughter Erin to Whinfell 4 weeks ago and they had a great time! Not as good a time as me who had a full 4 days home alone with Tilly :) :roll: They checked things out as Erin is desperate to take Tills on holiday and on the strength of their findings we have booked up for next August. When we booked there was only 2 lodges left :shock: Erin and OH are going to do activities and me and Tills are going to explore.

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 02 Sep 2010, 20:43

i JUST READ MY POST AND IT SOUNDS REALLY NEGATIVE WHICH i DID NOT MEAN IT TO. WE HAD A FABULOUS TIME AND WE HAVE BEEN FOR THE PAST 5YEARS BUT JUNEAU IS STILL ONLY A YEAR OLD AND DOES NEED OFF LEAD EXCERCISE OR HE IS CONSTANTLY PULLING OR UP TO MISCHIEVE. THE DOGS ON LEADS AT ALL MES POLICY IS SIMPLY NO GOOD FOR US.
CENTRE PARCS WOULD BE THE PERFECT FAMILY & DOG HOLIDAY IF THERE WAS AN EXCERCISE FIELD OR WALKING PATH FOR WELL BEHAVED DOGS OFF LEAD.
New doodler - its a good excuse for being a bit dotty