View Birth of Bella's Pups Live

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
MrsAdmin

Re: View Birth of Bella's Pups Live

Post by MrsAdmin » 31 Aug 2010, 22:54

Not for me it's not :cry: :cry: I briefly saw a very pooped out (or should that be pupped out :P ) Bella and some lovely little wrigglers much earlier on today and then they were gone.

As I made the mistake of updating my email address I got myself locked out of the forum so couldn't post all day :cry: but they did look lovely, and all cream too. :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

bryanandhelen

Post by bryanandhelen » 01 Sep 2010, 07:52

Day 2 in the Big Bella House.

6 boys and 1 girl. Colours actually vary between the pups ... it looks like a few will be more white after their dad but I guess we'll see how things develop.

Life in our household is starting to get back to normal after a good night's sleep (apart from Bryan who is sleeping downstairs and checking them every 90 minutes or so). Bella is a lot more relaxed and is now happy to go outside to wee ... she even woke Bryan up at 4am to get a cuddle.

PuppyCam going down yesterday was a real pain. Sky were there usual helpful self but fortunately it came back to life later in the day. We need to now work out the logistics of when we should broadcast each day as simply leaving it switched on constantly will prove unviable ... initial thoughts are to switch it on for a few hours before work and then again in the evening.

We now have the worry of ensuring the homes they go to are the very best. There's always a concern that people scam you and give you the answers they know you want to hear (such as "there's always someone at home"). Does anyone have the same worries with their litters? Comments / Advice is always gratefully received.

Thanks to everyone for their kinds words both here and via email.

Bryan & Helen.

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 01 Sep 2010, 08:03

I think if you set up visits, like my breeder did, you get the best of both worlds.
New owners can see Bella and your other dogs, and how they behave, size, attention needed. They can also get to know their pup and pup can get to know them. Also, you will be able to make idle chat with them, and if they're telling lies, it will come out in conversation. You can just make small talk about jobs, type of house, kids, social activities, dog experience, all without sounding like you're interrogating them!!
Claire xx
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 01 Sep 2010, 09:04

I suggest that you go onto Doodle Post, the breeders forum, as I'm sure people will give you some good tips who have had to deal with this problem themselves.

The first thing you need is a pretty watertight contract with your new owners. You could also ask if they are prepared to be home checked. If someone does not ring true or you are worried I am quite happy to do a visit (with or without Doodles) in our neck of the woods but, as we are in Devon and you are 'up norf' that's probably not a lot of help. :?

Ask if they have been to any Doodle meets, which forums they might be on etc. It won't give you all the answers but might eliminate some who are just buying on a whim.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 01 Sep 2010, 15:42

Can't help with advice re the homing and I am sure you will do your utmost for Bella's little beauties. I'm logging in regularly to Puppy Cam. Bella looks so calm and confident with her pups. They are little wrigglers :) Glad everything went well. Hopefully you are all managing to get some rest. Any names yet :?:

((Hugs to Bella)) the scrummy mummy
Sharron and Archie

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 01 Sep 2010, 17:22

Always a good sign if the buyer asks you loads of questions and how you feel about offering advice aftercare. I chose my puppies from breeders I liked as the buyer and felt comfortable with. It is very important to feel you can contact the breeder at any time if you have any worries. If you have not owned the breed before then it may be different from what you have read in books. !!! I'm sure you will know and do your best to match dog with right owner. Having so many boys will be easier as they will nearly all be getting the same sex dog. Good luck. Lovely puppies. :D
ImageImageImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 01 Sep 2010, 17:23

While I think it is a good idea to have a puppy contract (and I see from your website that you have one), actually enforcing any such contract is another matter entirely. Most people would find it too expensive and the legal process too slow to achieve anything.

I am not a breeder so can't answer your questions from that perspective. But I have had many conversations with prospective owners from the rescue viewpoint and I would suggest asking questions such as "What will happen to the puppy when you are at work" rather than "Will the puppy be left every day" and "What will happen to the puppy when you go out in the evening" rather than "Do you go out a lot socially". It is always interesting to hear what people say when you ask why they want a puppy; sometimes this can be the best indication of what sort of home awaits. Asking how they plan to train the puppy will also give some idea to how much research they have put in... If there are young children in the family are they going to behave nicely with the puppy and recognise that puppies must be treated with respect and are not toys. I think it is also helpful to ensure that they realise that properly looked after dogs will be an on going expense; pet insurance, vet bills, grooming costs, holiday arrangements all mount up......... And it would be good if they were asking you about health tests on the parent dogs and their temperaments.

If people have owned an animal before you could ask to speak to their vet or trainer or ask them for some other form of reference. But your own instincts will be the best guide as will watching prospective puppy buyers interact with the puppies and your dogs. It is also always best to meet an existing dog and see how that one has been brought up and how ready s/he is to welcome a new puppy.

Hope you do find wonderful homes for all the puppies; are you going to keep one yourselves?

Katherine
ImageImage

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 01 Sep 2010, 17:36

Hi there :D

Can I say what a priviledge it is to watch Bella and her pups, we are all addicted in this house! :lol: I am really taken by Bella, she seems a really attentive mum and several times I have watched her raise her head, make sure all is well with pups and then lay her head back down with a satisfied grin on her face, lovely!

I don't know if this will help at all, its something I came across when I was puppy searching - lots of questions for prospective puppy owners and breeders alike. http://www.barleors-labradoodles.co.uk/ ... ppies.html

Oh, and I never realised how much puppies wriggle, I've only ever seen photos of pups this young. :lol:

fairymum

Post by fairymum » 01 Sep 2010, 22:12

Don't really post on here, as I live on DT :D but just wanted to say a big thank you, I've loved the webcam, my two children have made me promise to tell them what they've missed when they are back at school tomorrow - tch - like I would sit looking at Bella all day :roll: :D

fee0305

Post by fee0305 » 02 Sep 2010, 00:22

I know it is a bit late but "Congratulations Bella".
I only saw the 1st pup born and went to bed and just missed the 2nd but wow it was amazing to see such a new pup and how attentive Bella was even though she was still in labour.
I found myself amazed at how she coped and how that little pup managed to get about so quickly.
What a Star she is!
New doodler - its a good excuse for being a bit dotty