A warning for those of us who live by the sea

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
iwantadog

A warning for those of us who live by the sea

Post by iwantadog » 06 Sep 2010, 17:13

We took the kids and Murphy down to the beach yesterday afternoon. The sea was very rough which the kids thought was wonderful for bodyboarding, and they had a wonderful time in the surf, until my youngest got caught in a rip tide, which dragged her out and under the water. Luckily my husband was in the water with them and I screamed for him to grab her and he waded over as fast as he could and grabbed her, but it was very scarey as the waves were breaking over both of them.

BUT, Murphy heard her screaming and before I could do anything was swimmng out to her. He also got caught in the rip tide, so not only did my husband have to rescue our daughter, but the dog as well :roll: They were all absolutely fine, but it taught us all a great lesson, not only not to not let the kids in the sea when its rough, but also to not let the dog anywhere near the sea when its like that. He's a really strong swimmer which I'm sure is why he is here today.

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Re: A warning for those of us who live by the sea

Post by Bid » 06 Sep 2010, 17:20

Scary for you! Glad all are safe and sound!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 06 Sep 2010, 17:24

Gosh Wendy, how scarey for you all :cry: .

Brave of Murphy to want to rescue your daughter though. :P Well done Hubbie for getting to them both.

I saw on the news that the lifeguard in Peranporth said, after rescuing loads of people in one day, that, if you get caught in a rip, don't struggle and go with it because you will get swept out but then dropped. It's just as long as it's not too far away to sea. I think they said the struggling to get back will make it worse because you get overtired quickly and don't have the energy to return. :cry:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 06 Sep 2010, 17:41

OOh very scary Wendy! Glad they were all ok.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 06 Sep 2010, 17:49

Good message to put out wendy. Glad you are all ok :D
What a brave little star Murphy is :mrgreen:

baby_depardieu

Post by baby_depardieu » 06 Sep 2010, 18:00

Aww.... so glad they are all ok... You hear some scary stories that dont end so happy.

Almost made me cry to think of your dog swimming out to rescue your child.... (Im PMT-ish... :lol: )
The friendship of a dog is, without a doubt, more intense and more constant than that of man.~ Montaigne

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 06 Sep 2010, 21:44

Glad that all is well. As Mrs A said, don't go against the rip, but do go across it towards breaking waves or white water, they are usually not that wide so and you might still head out to sea a bit, but will be safer and probably is shallower water.

There are plenty of beaches where doing nothing will get you a very long way out to sea - great if your surfing, but terrifying if you don't know whats happening.

As for dogs, they seem to be able to rescue themselves. I remember a few instances where people have gone in to save their dog and drowned, and the dog has been OK.

If there are lifeguards around, talk to them, and be aware of your abilities.

KateW

Post by KateW » 06 Sep 2010, 23:17

What a relief that all is well....I don't allow Rufus in the sea when it is really rough and if you people not sure of tides/safe bathing I always recommend that they ring the coastguards who are really helpful.

Katherine
ImageImage

watto

Post by watto » 07 Sep 2010, 02:50

Adam Lindley wrote:Glad that all is well. As Mrs A said, don't go against the rip, but do go across it towards breaking waves or white water, they are usually not that wide so and you might still head out to sea a bit, but will be safer and probably is shallower water.
You beat me to it, Adam, but that is right - people drown when they panic and try to swim against the rip. Swim parallel to the shore and you will eventually come out of the rip and be able to swim in. Easier said than done of course in the heat of the moment. A good idea too to teach kids survival backstroke so that they can keep themselves afloat without tiring too quickly.

The ocean is a powerful force. So very glad your daughter is OK Wendy, and what a brave boy Murphy is :D

Jo

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 07 Sep 2010, 07:03

I didn't realise about just going with the rip tide. The problem was that the rip tide was caused by a groin made out of huge boulders, so I was petrified that she would get literally washed into these and really hurt herself, but it does make sense to go with it.

Wendy x

Glitterbug

Post by Glitterbug » 07 Sep 2010, 08:32

Sorry to hear about your experience Wendy. Very glad everyone was safe. What an amazing boy Murrphy was to swim to her rescue - bless him :D
Good advice her already on rips.
ImageImageImageImage

gemsie10

Post by gemsie10 » 07 Sep 2010, 09:43

Are you okay Wendy? I am sorry to hear about your experience how scarey for you. Glad you are all home safe and sound x

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 07 Sep 2010, 17:56

So glad everyone is OK, it must have been terrifying. It is a good reminder to us all. Even if we don't have anybody out swimming at least it makes us aware of our dogs getting into trouble (and then of course the humans who try to help them).
Thanks for the post, I will explain the 'go with the rip and swim along it' advice to my sons in case they ever are unlucky enough to be caught by one.
Sharron and Archie

carly

Post by carly » 10 Sep 2010, 12:11

OMG Wendy, that must have been sooooo scary, and prob one of those things you don't want to think about .....sorry :oops:

I'm really really glad you are all ok.

Say hi to Murphy from his brother :P

Carly & Logan

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 10 Sep 2010, 17:47

Hello stranger! Yes, it was probably the most scarey thing I've had happen to me, but we are all fine and thats the main thing.

How are you and yours and how is the lovely Logan? Snuggles pups all seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth, we should all put up to date photos of them on their thread.

Murphy had KC over the Summer holidays just in time for us to go camping, so we had to leave him with a friend which was a shame as it had taken about 9 months for their dog to make friends with Murph :roll:

Keep in touch!

Wendy xx