woo hoo for the Head Halti

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lisad123

woo hoo for the Head Halti

Post by lisad123 » 19 Sep 2010, 00:08

We got Thornton a halti a few weeks back due to him pulling loads and going nuts when seeing other dogs that sometimes I couldnt hold him. After 4 weeks he is doing so well and walking so nicely. I can walk him with the buggy on the school walk :)

gillwightman

Re: woo hoo for the Head Halti

Post by gillwightman » 19 Sep 2010, 09:36

Do you mean a halter? Our last dog was a Westie who never left our feet, but when on a lead she did choke herself to death. Clearly we were let of lightly with the training!

My sister still uses a halter for her Westie so I was thinking of just getting one from the get go. I think it seems nicer than having it attached to his neck anyway.

It must be a relief to have him walking nicely next to the buggy. I had enough problems with my child and the buggy without having a mental dog to cope with back in those days! The mental child was enough :lol:

Ok, just googled it and see you do not mean a Halter. Will start with a halter and have this in mind should it still go pear shaped. Not sure if reading this forum is altogether good. There is a difference between being prepared and feeling a sense of impending doom :?
[url]

lisad123

Post by lisad123 » 19 Sep 2010, 09:49

nope i mean Halti, it goes over the nose and leads from head. Is lovely to have him walking nicely.

gillwightman

Post by gillwightman » 19 Sep 2010, 10:02

Yes I googled it, it looks very interesting. I saw a dalmation with one and thought it was to stop him biting. I know better now. Theres always a solution :)
[url]

Lorraine82

Post by Lorraine82 » 19 Sep 2010, 10:38

Hi, we bought one several weeks ago from our puppy class. It definetely does stop the pulling and jumping up, but Myla just keeps rolling about on the ground pawing at her nose and yes she can get it off. The trainers at puppy class said that we obviously didnt have it on tight enough so they adjusted it and yes she still got it off...lets just say she is one determined dog!
We gave up and just started using a harness but this week we have started using the halti/gentle leader again as her behaviour is not on at times. Trying to jump on every person and other dog. My husband went on the gentle Leader's website (the company that make ours) and it says that you should always put it on the dog in the house so that it gets used to it , and provide treats and toys etc. , and only when the dog is used to it and accepts it on then should you wear it outside. I guess that totally makes sense, so we're starting up again with it.
Ive seen quite a few adult dogs this week wearing them and they obviously accept them. Also the trainer at our dog class uses it on her own large dog a Northern Inuit.
We watched an episode of "Its me or the dog" and Victoria Stilwell put them on 2 great danes and true enough as she promised the owners, they were able to literally hold them on lead with a pinkie as they stopped pulling.

Lorraine
ImageImage

Lorraine82

Post by Lorraine82 » 19 Sep 2010, 10:50

gillwightman wrote:Yes I googled it, it looks very interesting. I saw a dalmation with one and thought it was to stop him biting. I know better now. Theres always a solution :)
I was guilty of stereotyping dogs that wear them, I thought it was a Muzzle to stop biting and assumed they must be aggressive dogs that need them, but its a completely different thing only designed to stop pulling. Basically the dog can open its mouth just the same (could still bite if that way inclined).
Thats the other reason I gave up easily with Myla, she didnt like wearing it and I hate the look of it on her and people actually have said to me "is that a muzzle she's wearing". But as I mentioned in my previous post we're starting to introduce it to her again.

Lorraine
ImageImage

lisad123

Post by lisad123 » 19 Sep 2010, 14:07

I have had a few people say "is he dangerous then" :lol: It takes time and alot of effort. Thornton now cant get his off, but only because I tied a knot in it. He gets loads of praise and treats. And yes I can walk him with one finger now :D

gillwightman

Post by gillwightman » 19 Sep 2010, 14:25

Thats good advice. We tried putting a lead on Archie and he just went bananas and was hanging of it really. And rolling around. The problem it is a gorgeous lead I got in France, a bit designer :lol: and cost me a fortune. It belonged to my last dog and it was still on the stairs. Archie found it, got the end, pulled it, then the retraction stopped and it seemed to catapult into him, so his first encounter with this lead was not brilliant.

I am going to work with the halter and lots of treats and praise and go slowly. I didn't realise how careful you have to be! Been told to do the same using a baby brush for his coat, just slowly, slowly so that one day he will lie there and let me brush him.
[url]

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 19 Sep 2010, 19:29

I've also got a Halti for Murphy, I got it about two weeks ago and its like having a different dog, he is so good on it, as someone else has said I can walk him on one finger!

My friend who walks him for me whilst I'm at work is 78 and was really struggling with his pulling (he walks brilliantly for me 90% of the time on a choke chain, but pulls for her), anyway, she suggested my getting a Halti and its brilliant. She walked him for me on Thursday and said both her and Murphy actually enjoyed their walk for the first time in ages :D

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

lisad123

Post by lisad123 » 19 Sep 2010, 20:09

I can even let my seven year old walk him, and is like having a different dog

bagpussy

Post by bagpussy » 21 Sep 2010, 11:16

Long live the Halti!

We've been using it for over a year now after Barley pulled so hard that I ended up with ligament damage. It works like a dream and she even walks 'normally' when on an ordinary lead now as she's so used to having to behave when on the Halti.[img]