Labradoodles in Rescue Survey - The Results

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
GUNNER

Labradoodles in Rescue Survey - The Results

Post by GUNNER » 16 Oct 2010, 21:03

Some of you may remember the survey in June of this year, when you were asked to give the reasons why you thought Labradoodles would be handed into rescue.

Well the results have now been calculated and are as follows.

There were 86 correctly completed replies.

You thought that the most likely reasons for dogs being handed in were;

Allergy problems 27%

Other Behavioural issues (lack of recall, destructive when left, uncontrollable when out etc…) 14%

Owner tires/can’t be bothered with dog anymore 14%

Too big and bouncy around children 12%

Credit crunch – owners need to work full time and feel unfair on dog to be left for long periods 10%

Family break ups/Illness/ Death of owner 7%

Heavy Shedding 6%

Credit crunch – unable to afford their pet any longer 5%

Aggression/temperament issues 5%

And the least likely reasons were;

Aggression/temperament issues 51%

Owner tires/can’t be bothered with dog anymore 22 %

Credit crunch – unable to afford their pet any longer 8%

Family break ups/Illness/ Death of owner 6%

Too big and bouncy around children 3%

Heavy Shedding 3%

Credit crunch – owners need to work full time and feel unfair on dog to be left for long periods 2%

Allergy problems 2%

Other Behavioural issues (lack of recall, destructive when left, uncontrollable when out etc…) 0%

We took the actual reasons for handing in from the details of 94 dogs that had come in to us over a two year period.

The actual results are;

Aggression/temperament issues 24%

Other Behavioural issues (lack of recall, destructive when left, uncontrollable when out etc…) 22%

Family break ups/Illness/ Death of owner 17%

Credit crunch – owners need to work full time and feel unfair on dog to be left for long periods 13%

Allergy problems 9%

Owner tires/can’t be bothered with dog anymore 7%

Too big and bouncy around children 4%

Credit crunch – unable to afford their pet any longer 2%

Heavy Shedding 1%

Liz!

Re: Labradoodles in Rescue Survey - The Results

Post by Liz! » 16 Oct 2010, 22:54

BUT were the owners hypnotised or held over a burning torch to find out the real reason? Because people do fib...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 16 Oct 2010, 23:44

Liz! wrote:BUT were the owners hypnotised or held over a burning torch to find out the real reason? Because people do fib...

hmmmm makes you wonder ....

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 17 Oct 2010, 01:05

Its interesting to see that the shedding issue is a bigger perceived problem than actually reported - hopefully the message is getting through.

As for some of the other reasons.. takes a lot of honesty to point the finger at yourself for a lack of time invested in love, training etc.

From the least likely figures, it looks as if the respondents would be looking to correct training / behavioural issues rather than give up a dog, this isn't borne out by the numbers...

There was no category for dogs surrendered on medical grounds.

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 17 Oct 2010, 01:11

.. and one dog a week for rehoming :(

linny

Post by linny » 17 Oct 2010, 10:27

Adam Lindley wrote:As for some of the other reasons.. takes a lot of honesty to point the finger at yourself for a lack of time invested in love, training etc.

From the least likely figures, it looks as if the respondents would be looking to correct training / behavioural issues rather than give up a dog, this isn't borne out by the numbers...
I so agree Adam, some of these dogs are huge, intelligent and very strong.
Couple this with a lack of ongoing training, behavioural issues are most certainly going to appear high on the list for dogs ending up in rescue.

When out and about with my own dogs I have noticed that a lot more of the general public recognise a Labradoodle but they always say the same thing "Oh , a Labradoodle.....they don't shed do they?" so I think we must keep informing the general public that "non shedding" is simply not true.

One dog per week up for re homing is one too many :(

Barb

Post by Barb » 17 Oct 2010, 12:16

Adam Lindley wrote: There was no category for dogs surrendered on medical grounds.
Do you mean the medical problems of the dog or the medical problems of the owners, Adam?

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 17 Oct 2010, 13:23

Was thinking of the dogs. Deaf, HD etc.

Barb

Post by Barb » 17 Oct 2010, 14:07

They are included in "Credit crunch – unable to afford their pet any longer".

annette

Post by annette » 17 Oct 2010, 15:47

As a breeder I find this extriemly useful, I am forever telling people the not so good points, extriemly hard work in the care, and ownership of a labradoodle, also this is why we do the antenatal class, I have had people after that say that they have actually changed their mind ! not many , but I would rather they did that than made a mistake, I am now going to point them in the direction of this posting , Mark could we make this a sticky ?

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 17 Oct 2010, 17:35

I can fully understand how people can be overwhelmed by doodles and feel they can't continue. I'm a first time dog owner and thought I'd done all the research etc I could before getting my dog. My breeder is fantastic and considered a family friend. But... nothing prepared me for the emotional roller-coaster of the last six months. We've had a lot of ups and downs, I think we're getting there now. My pup's a much loved member of our family but presents new challenges constantly because he's big, handsome and very intelligent.

With this in mind it doesn't surprise me that there are doodles needing new homes. Fortunately, my partner's equally committed to our dog so we're definitely keeping ours (fingers crossed our circumstances don't change).

PS. Latest challenge - how to stop him wanting to chase sheep. I think I'll post a new message for this one!

jane and merlin

Post by jane and merlin » 17 Oct 2010, 19:15

Hi , These dogs are big and very strong , merlin started with the trainer at 10 weeks . We go once a week and carry on at home the rest of the week , he is now a year old and we still go to the trainer , i have got a dog that will recall , sit to a whistle when off lead , walk to heal off lead . We had a few problems on the way but we worked with the trainer and got them sorted out had we not the story would be very different. Everybody says how well behaved he is my answer is that is what happens if you take your dog to a good trainer and you put the work in as well . So many people have no idea they think you go to puppy classes for a few weeks and that is it , but as many of you know that is not the case it is always ongoing . jane and merlin
Image Image

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 18 Oct 2010, 03:51

Frankly I am amazed that the Trust has only had 94 dogs handed in over two years. Many small rescues are dealing with hundreds and hundreds each year, not all 'desirable' breeds like Doodles.

As a general indicator of breed success I would think that a pretty good low figure for a 'popular' breed, especially as we know the puppy farmers are churning Doodles out. There isn't a week goes by without adverts in just our local paper, let alone the endless ones on the web sites. :evil:

I find the reasons given for handing Doodles in highly suspect. I know that when I collected a dog for the Trust the owner was citing 'far too boisterous and dangerous with the children'. The reality was a poor girl with a coat thick with dust, plainly living outside chained up in the dirty kennel by the front door, with an old rag for a bed. :cry: The owner so wanted to be rid of her she wouldn't even give her the lead to be taken with but wanted it for the next dog, probably a 'non-shedding' one :evil:

As far as I am aware, she never showed any signs of being 'dangerous' and was an absolute sweetheart, both to everyone involved in the transporting chain and her foster family. Her new family are also delighted with her it is reported.

How many of the ones labelled 'aggressive' have actually exhibited aggression and how many have proved un-homeable and been euthanised? Those statistics would be more reliable that the reasons owners give as excuses to hand dogs in with.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 18 Oct 2010, 08:01

Mrs. Admin hits the nail on the head there - aggression as perceived by one person, isn't necessarily perceived by someone else. I'm sure plenty people fall into the category of "wanted a fashionable dog and wasn't ready for this". The figures are nonetheless useful and fascinating.

I think 17% is actually quite a high figure for death/break-up of family. :( Higher than I would have thought.

Good work, LT. 8)
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Barb

Post by Barb » 18 Oct 2010, 12:17

MrsAdmin wrote:Frankly I am amazed that the Trust has only had 94 dogs handed in over two years.
I said that the 94 dogs were taken from a two year period. This was 94 dogs I have complete paperwork for. I did not say that that was the total number of dogs that we have had through rescue. In reality there have been nearer 200 come through rescue since we started it.

The results are taken from the reasons given on the paperwork by the previous owners. That is the reason they were handed in. Obviously they are not always the genuine reasons, which is why we always assess the dogs independently before rehoming them.