A good strong squeaky ball needed

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
bernadette

A good strong squeaky ball needed

Post by bernadette » 28 Dec 2010, 20:17

Hello everyone,
I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas. I was hoping maybe someone could tell where I could get a strong squeaky ball for Barkley. I have spent a small fortune on balls that I have thought seemed quite strong and durable for Barks to demolish them in minutes. If anyone can help I would be really grateful as he does love them

Regards Bernadette and Barkley :D

Glitterbug

Re: A good strong squeaky ball needed

Post by Glitterbug » 28 Dec 2010, 21:05

Have you tried the Kong tennis balls? Piet also can demolish a ball in a matte rof seconds but they last really well and he loves the squeak. You can get them at Pets at Home in a packet of 3 for @£2.00 from memory...
Will watch this thread for tips :D
ImageImageImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 28 Dec 2010, 21:06

Mikki make a really good Rugby shaped ball that is the only ball to survive Huggy for any length of time.
Like you, I was spending a small fortune on balls ...then I found these.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Mikki-Squeak ... SQUEAKRUG/

He still manages to destroy them but it takes him longer (they last for weeks rather than hours) :lol:
Linny

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 28 Dec 2010, 23:46

Stella LOVES balls and they last all of.....seconds...... when she gets hold of one - however we gave her a full size basketball, Obviously she can't get in her mouth but it has lasted for weeks!!!! but once she manages to burst it - it will be history!!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Dec 2010, 10:31

Poppy has some that are bigger than tennis balls ( imo they are too small for my girls), made of basket-ball type stuff and come in lime green or orange with paws on them. Unfortunately they are from Pampurred Pets which is a southern chain I think, but I thought if I described them you might see them somewhere. THey have lasted over a year here.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ally & Si

Post by Ally & Si » 29 Dec 2010, 12:14

Hi, hope you all had a good Christmas.

Henry is the same. He loves balls but we go through packets of them. Some of them he destroys but I have to admit that he has lost some of them too!

Will wqatch this thread with interest.
Ally
Henry

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 29 Dec 2010, 18:46

Murphy seems to get through a ball a walk, he bites them and they split in half, then he just pulls all the outside off and chews up all the stuffing. I got him a cricket ball once as I thought it might last a bit longer - WRONG, he took about 20 minutes to totally destroy it :roll:

I found a pack of 20 tennis balls for £7.99 in Toys R Us today which I didn't think was too bad, hopefully that should last us at least 20 days!!!

Wendy x

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 29 Dec 2010, 20:48

Hey Linny, i like the writing under the picture of the Mikki ball - 'Picture for illustration purposes only'! Well, I wasn't going to cut it out and give it to the dog...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Leah

Post by Leah » 29 Dec 2010, 22:40

I too am torn between buying a steady supply of "cheap" balls and investing in good quality ones!

Monty is a ball destroyer and so far the best are the Ruffians ball I buy from Amazon - looks like an elephant, squeaky, costs about £4.50.

Kong squeaky tennis balls aren't bad, last about a week and not expensive in P@H

Monty got a Boomer Ball for Christmas which is truly indestructable (lions and hippos in zoos have them!) Great if your dog enjoys the chase - took it to the park on Boxing day and Monty and Bertie, his spaniel friend, were hilarious chasing it about. It really tired them out and there's no way they could destroy it!

We also have a JW squeaky ball in orange - we've had it about a month and it still squeaks but is very worn-looking now (Monty still absolutely loves it!)

Leah

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 30 Dec 2010, 00:32

Boomer balls cost $60! But we have a pilates ball about the same size, I wonder if that's doodle-tooth proof?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 30 Dec 2010, 01:09

I've never found a squeaky ball my two can't destroy but Beccles has a really tough rubber solid ball she adores. It's her ball and she is not giving it up to anyone! :roll: I got it from Pets @ Home. Jack likes balls on ropes but the rubber sort with little knobs. They are fairly cheap and will last about 6 to 9 months before they split. He likes to be able to swing the rope about and gets a slight squidge going on.

I keep an emergency fold up squeaky ball they lust after but are never allowed to actually have in our dog bag to lure them back in an emergency. Well worth it as it got Becky off a cliff edge once.

Now if anyone knows of a rugby ball or football that Jack cannot destroy... (although the relics are lovingly tossed around and cherished in the garden for ever after :lol: )
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 30 Dec 2010, 01:26

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/squeaky- ... ghts-40498

Dexter uses a rubber brown ball from wainright's PAH, it has embossed paw prints on it and so far Dexter hasn't destroyed it :mrgreen:

lucyeff

Post by lucyeff » 30 Dec 2010, 15:09

Even though Ruby is a mini she still manages to wreck everything. We got her a kong which has lumps out of it though has lasted, and also 100 tennis balls from Ebay for a tenner! For taking out on walks, as she doesn't get must chance to chew them up, just squidge them into a non-ball like shape rendering them useless.

I am cautious about them as they smell quite strongly - someone told me to be careful of dogs with tennis balls because of the chemicals in the materials they're made from, but I keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't chew on them too much, and hopefully just fetches them to us!

I did buy her a plastic ball with a rubber casing on it for christmas, the ball inside rattles and she loves it! I got her that from TKMaxx and it was about £6.99. It has lasted well so far, it's sort of like thick rubber strips across a heavy plastic ball, the rubber is like kong material and heavy duty. She has chewed a few little bits off but no more so than sh has her kong and that's still serviceable.

It's a constant hunt!

My cousin uses plastic pop bottles/milk cartons for her dogs (a Wire haired German Pointer and a Rottie/Boxer cross) to fetch and chew. I think they like the noise, but it'd drive me bonkers. So would the bits of plastic under my feet!

Good luck on the search. It seems never ending! The hunt for the ultimate doodle toy. I think there's one for Dragon's Den if anyone is feeling inventive... :wink:

Love from Luce xxx

bernadette

Post by bernadette » 30 Dec 2010, 17:07

Thank you everyone for your replies. I went yesterday and bought 3 kong balls at pets @ home and so far Barkley has not destroyed the first one I have given him. 24 hours is actually record for him :lol: . I worked a night shift last night and when I pulled into our drive I saw him poke his nose around the curtain and then run off when I opened the door he had his ball in his mouth to show me what he had got, I think he is really pleased with it.

Thanks again Bernadette & Barkley

broadloan

Post by broadloan » 03 Jan 2011, 17:26

I am a dog walker and finding a ball that my staffie cross and retriever didn't destroy instantly was a challenge, however, I found JW Good Cuz, they are rubber balls with feet, they squeak and the dogs love them. I got them from ebay from a very nice lady in Cornwall. They last for ages and come in different sizes. I use the medium for my doodle (who seems to be the largest ever made!!!) and the other dogs. The small he loves even more, but after one went missing and I wasn't convinced he hadn't eaten it, I keep the small size for the westies etc. I also keep a small one in my pocket to get the dogs back.