When did you stop crating your doodle?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Macy

When did you stop crating your doodle?

Post by Macy » 07 Feb 2011, 19:49

We are considering leaving the door open on her cage now. She is 9months old now and I really feel that it would be much pleasanter for her to be able to move around a bit more when we are not at home. Has anyone any advice or experience of when they stopped using a cage for their doodle? :lol:

rosie111

Re: When did you stop crating your doodle?

Post by rosie111 » 07 Feb 2011, 20:04

2 years!!!! :D

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 07 Feb 2011, 20:15

Stan was about 6 months old when we stopped shutting him in the dining room when we were out/overnight. He now has the run of the ground floor when left at home, but he does have big brother Ollie for company and Ollie appears to have been a good influence (touch wood)!

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 07 Feb 2011, 20:16

We started leaving the crate door open at about 8 months giving Teddy the run of the kitchen/dining room.

Once we were happy that he wasn't chewing anymore, we then left the door to the lounge open too - probably at 11-12 months.

The person who lent us the crate then needed it back for a new puppy and that was that.

Our boys now sleep wherever they like, except upstairs !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

michala

Post by michala » 07 Feb 2011, 20:18

well i thought like that so i left the cage door open and Pixie ate my daughters brand new school shoe in protest i think she didn't like the fact the cage was open and i was out - they associate shut cage with no human and open cage with human i think and feel safer in the cage!! Tip make sure shoes are put away before leaving doodles out!!

Leah

Post by Leah » 07 Feb 2011, 20:20

I stopped using the crate during the day when Monty was about 5 months. I always give him a long walk before he's left and a stuffed kong to chew. He does sometimes get up to mischief (mainly stealing food - my fault for leaving it where he can get it) but I feel it's worth it for him having the most possible freedom and being more comfortable, he has the run of the house as he can open all the doors anyway!

He never goes in it out of choice in the day but puts himself to bed in it every night at about 10pm!!

You'll probably find your dog is fine out of the crate and you can always go back to using it if not.

Leah

Macy

Post by Macy » 07 Feb 2011, 20:22

michala wrote:well i thought like that so i left the cage door open and Pixie ate my daughters brand new school shoe in protest i think she didn't like the fact the cage was open and i was out - they associate shut cage with no human and open cage with human i think and feel safer in the cage!! Tip make sure shoes are put away before leaving doodles out!!
Bad luck with the shoe! I would make sure that nothing like that was left around, but there is always the table and chairs if she fancied a bit of wood!

Pods2008

Post by Pods2008 » 07 Feb 2011, 20:22

Hi

We slowly let Barclay out of his cage for longer and longer periods of time from 10/11 weeks old!

We had to really as we needed him to be used to it on the occassions when both hubby and I are at work and can only get home for lunch. Luckily this is only once - max twice a week and not every week as I can work from home sometimes and hubby's shifts move - anyway - sorry about tangent!!

We are able to make it so that he only has the run of the kitchen and the hallway where there isn't much he can damage - although that is famous last words!!

he's never been much of a chewer - again - jinxed that! :lol: So I think that is why we felt confident to try him. We started the same as when we initially started leaving him alone - little at a time - literally 10 mins and upping as we thought we could.

He's had a couple of mishaps - not toilet based to be fair - but he nibbled a candle and will nibble anything like gloves or slippers if they are left in the hall - so we just dont leave them!!

We always make sure he has lots of his toys and if we do leave him for more than an hour or two (max 4) then I will give him a kong stuffed with treats etc to occupy him.

we still put him in his crate at night but are thinking of leaving the door open for him so he can stretch out more at night too -
Hope this helps

merrywet

Post by merrywet » 07 Feb 2011, 21:45

Mabel was 18mths before I stopped using the crate. This was for two reasons - firstly I had a very old Spinone and knew he 'couldn't be bothered' with a youngster as he had very painful arthritis, so the day he died the crate came down. Secondly I had had a labrador cross retriever who didn't start chewing until he was 9mths - then despite another dog for company - destroyed a kitchen, including cushion floor and wallpaper, teapot and blender! He stopped at abouth 2yrs and was a great dog. So probably a bit wary of my house being trashed.
Tina

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 07 Feb 2011, 23:44

Ours are still in their crates overnight Rosie is 9 Otto 6 and Bourneville 4 but they are still puppies at heart.

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 07 Feb 2011, 23:58

Skye is 8years and still uses it the door is always open and when you need to go away or have an emergency it great to know that you can leave them safely if needed, my view is just coz my kids can sleep in a bed now I would not take their bed away so why would I want to take the dogs beds away from them. Mind you they have the cages down stairs, plus beds in our room as well

JudeinPlymouth

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 08 Feb 2011, 13:24

Fletcher is nearly 6 months and his crate is in a utility room which is really small...

He happily goes to bed in his crate at night, but has started moaning about going in it in the day (he's a very lucky boy, he gets loads of company) when we're getting dressed or if we have to pop out for an hour (we are self employed and also have a crate at our office so he goes in there if we have meetings with people who haven't met him before... he just lies there pulling a face at them as if to say 'please save me from these horrible people'!!!)...

So I thought maybe leaving the door of his crate open but shutting the door would let him stretch his legs a little and maybe stop the moaning...I couldn't have been more wrong! :shock: He barked and yelped and didn't really like it! So we've gone back to putting him in his crate everytime, although I do worry that it's cramped. BTW once we put his crate in our living room thinking it would be a nicer place for him while we popped out - he was absolutely hysterical when I go home :( :cry: which I guess proves the theory that they like smaller places and their routine?
ImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 08 Feb 2011, 14:54

8 weeks :lol: :lol: Marley freaked out in it so I never put him back in.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Rosikus

Post by Rosikus » 08 Feb 2011, 16:15

Never.

john ford

Post by john ford » 08 Feb 2011, 21:02

never used one and mine is only 9 months never been any problem plenty of toys bones and chews when he was younger he always went upstairs to bed i think it was cause the cats where up there i think u got to give them time out for them to learn to be on there own and if u never let them out for long u will never know i think there should be times when they should go in but not for long times cause they are growing and need space to strech my daughter had a crate for her doberman had he only ever sleep in hes cage he would never lye down to sleep otherwise but when he got older she left the door open to it and he eant in on his own when it was bed time my dogs always had run of the house so that was probably why he wasnt bored