Les Poochs

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
wellington

Les Poochs

Post by wellington » 11 Feb 2011, 12:32

Hi Everyone

I know these brushes have been discussed before, but can't seem to find it.
I've just taken Wellington to the groomers, and have been given a right b*****ing lol Although we have been trying to keep on top of his coat(he gets groomed every couple of days) it still seems it is full of mats. He is a fleece coated doodle, and his coat is so fine, that any kind of collar mats it, his car harness mats it and if he rolls it mats.
She did offer to cut him short, which is something we don't really want to do. So now she agreed to brush out all the mats, going to take all day, and then next week she said she will trim it.

Anyway, I was thinking of investing in some good quality brushes, and saw the Les Poochs. Does anyone know which one I should get? I think most people get the green one. Will this work on mats as well? Or do I need to get the matt buster too(red one)?

nutttymutts

Re: Les Poochs

Post by nutttymutts » 11 Feb 2011, 12:47

If you go on the Les pooches web site the tell you which is the best one for each ffur type. but have a look on http://www.redcape.co.uk/store/items.asp?id=27-10-0 for purchase as they are cheaper there :D

jojorolo

Post by jojorolo » 11 Feb 2011, 13:46

Rolo is an australian doodle and has a spiral coat. I bought the green single les poches brush and is fab and seems to get mats out. I am wishing I got the double one though as he is quite a big dog- 23 inches to the shoulder.

deb Beasor

Post by deb Beasor » 11 Feb 2011, 14:42

I bought the double green one for my 2 & its fab. :D

Debs

wellington

Post by wellington » 11 Feb 2011, 15:13

Thanks guys :D

Wellington is only about 18" so will probably go for the single one then. Back from the groomers now and she has decided to keep his coat long, and we have to take him in every 2 weeks for a brush out. She said that now he's getting older his coat will start to drop(which is what we wanted). So very happy

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 11 Feb 2011, 15:23

Hi there,
I've got the green Les Poochs brush and it seems to work really well for a fleece coat. I bought the single one thinking it would be better to tackle the matts gently - which it does do - but for every day maintenance I think the double one would have been a good idea. However, we have not got beyond matt tackling :roll: I find the legs are the worst. A quick walk along the lane - mud, twigs and bits etc and we've got matts! A walk across the fields and it's burrs and twigs and bits and we've got matts! A wash when we get back and a rub with the towel and more matts!! I now 'blot' the legs dry. I've now trimmed the legs and she looks a bit silly, this big womble of a dog on skinny little pins but it's much easier to keep her legs lump free. A walk is a major operation and I can't wait for summer!
I've also got a matt buster which is jolly useful and can really help when things are bad. It does thin the coat out a bit but you don't lose the length.
Good luck with the hunt! I bought mine from redcape too, and they sell matt busters.
Sally and Effie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 11 Feb 2011, 15:37

Sorry, summer is worse for bits getting in the fur! SO much worse.

Lola was a fleece when she was diddy, but now her adult coat has mostly come in she has more curls. It is fine, fine, fine.

I have a red mat buster and a Chris Christensen wooden pin brush. And a Oster metal comb. I have stopped using the matt buster as she is a thin little dog and I could see it pulling on her skin. They never like their legs or armpits and leg pits done as they to are delicate.

So what I now do is brush her very day with her wooden pin brush - it glides through her coat and you hear when you get to a matt. Then I get a small rounded end pair of sharp scissors, push them through the matt as close to the skin as possible, and snip upwards. Sometimes it's then possible to comb through, sometimes you have to snip a lot or even snip it out. I've found this is the quickest, most efficient and humane way to deal with matts. It is very time consuming work and Lola is only 14 inches high.

We had her cut right back last October and i have to say it was bliss, and she still looked utterly lovely. I shall have that done in April before the summer again.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 11 Feb 2011, 17:53

Oh, I forgot to mention the scissors for matts! I bought a special round ended pair for cutting baby's fingernails from Tescos baby department for about £1.50. Really good if you're worried about prodding your dog with the end of ordinary scissors. They are excellent for snipping out matts!
Been worried by your comments Liz! and that summer is worse :shock: I think Effie still has her fleecy puppy coat but it's gone courser under her tummy and fine and curly on her head - a right old mixture!! Don't know how we'll get on but I'm hoping to groom her myself. However, her coat seems to grow really slowly which is good for time spent grooming but bad when I make a botch of it and it takes ages to grow back! I do so like a furry bundle :D

Sally and Effie

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 11 Feb 2011, 22:29

I have green doulbe and use it on the westie as well as Asha. they dont pull if you follow the instruction and don't try to use them like a normal brush. You don't brush down or along you use a circular motion that means that you are teasing the matts out gentley if you imagine your hand as a bicycle peddle and that you are pull out rather than down. there a clips on Utube on how to use them and the instuctions are very clear. better than my description any how :roll: :lol: :lol:

Asha is very fine haired but does get knotted very quickly. have you got a friend that has one that you can try?? most peep's that have them love em. I would buy one over and over and over again.

thepooles

Post by thepooles » 12 Feb 2011, 00:49

since i got the green les pooches my life has changed, for the better :D

harvey, as long as he is well brushed with the green single brush, stays matt free, and its just lovely :D

i dont know how it works, but somehow the les pooches gets to the skin, without upsetting them, and without them knotting up instantly again, so i'd say go for it"