Soft Toys??

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
xxLouxx

Soft Toys??

Post by xxLouxx » 05 May 2011, 12:04

Hi
I am preparing my supplies for Ozzy's arrival. Have purchased the usual play toys suitable for a puppy however I have been advised to collect together a number of 'soft toys'. The soft toys for dogs seem really expensive :shock:

I have recently cleared out my two sons bedroom and have a bag of small soft toys (without plastic eyes/buttons etc) that they no longer want and wondered if they would be suitable for Ozzy to play with (under supervision) or should I be purchasing the soft toys for dogs that you see in pet stores?? Is there a difference??

I have helped with a couple of charity birc-a-brac sales and it always surprises me the number of dog owners that go away with bundles of soft toys for their dogs :shock: !

Markt3857

Re: Soft Toys??

Post by Markt3857 » 05 May 2011, 12:56

I must admit we always trawl places for soft toys for Briar. We obviously keep any eye on her but she likes nothing more than to pull out the stuffing and have a good chew on them !

Very occassionally she manages to swallow a small piece of material if we're not quick enough but it normally passes thru ok !!!

Beats having to buy expensive toys from the likes of PAH
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 05 May 2011, 12:58

Hi Lou, I think the proper dog soft toys are stronger. They don't really seem to be but Bella has a toy giraffe that came with her as her "comfort" toy from the breeder and it's still intact. Anything else she gets her gnashers on seems to be easily destroyed :cry: :cry:
Jean & Bella xxx

maryh

Post by maryh » 05 May 2011, 13:06

I'm one of those trawlers of bric-a-brac/charity shops for Amber. No matter what soft toy she gets her teeth into, its de-stuffed and in tatters within a few hours at most. Even the so called 'tough' toys from the pets shops !

I just give thm to her for destruction now, straight from the charity shop or wherever but when she was a pup I'd put them through the washing machine first.. She's never actually eaten anything from any toy, just spits it out, but that may be just her so removing eyes and small bits might be a good idea at first anyway..

She has got a new toy now.. an 8 week old kitten called Murphy ! I will stress though she is very gentle with him, just wants to play and lick him, and he's not in the least bit afraid of her !..

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 05 May 2011, 13:41

There was a post on her a while ago about the dangers of giving dogs kids soft toys - something about the fire retardant on them being poisonous to dogs. However, it was completely untrue (so if anyone mentions it don't worry) Kids are just as likely to swallow things so they are just as safe.

A word of warning though - Ted often pinches things that he shouldn't i.e. the door stop - which has BEADS!!! in it :shock: And I imagine that they could be dangerous for dogs - although I have no clue what the beads are made of. So just stick to the fluffy filled ones :lol:

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 05 May 2011, 19:46

Material stuffed ones are safer than foam (for swallowing) and some children's toys ARE stuffed with material. Lola's fave is a huge octopus bought at a school sale.

Also, you can get soft toys which have no stuffing in for dogs, or minimal stuffing.

Lots of material toys around in 'TUFF' sorts of material but they aren't so soft and cuddly. You won't know if he's a big chewer till you try, so try soft first is my suggestion!

One thing we were told, if you get a tougher one and he likes to 'pull' (always a recipe though for rips!!) then only pull in an up and down or backwards direction, never side to side as this imitates the killing action of small furries and you don't wan to encourage that.

Lola loves her cuddlies.

Love the photo, he's so scrummy!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Leah

Post by Leah » 05 May 2011, 21:01

I wouldn't bother buying special dog soft toys. My Mum gave Monty a big teddy from the charity shop when he was tiny and he LOVES it carries it around, cuddles it, uses it as a pillow, holds it in his mouth but interestingly never rips or chews it. He chews up all other toys, squeakies, balls, frisbees etc in a matter of minutes!

Leah

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 05 May 2011, 22:23

I have tried the childrens old soft toys and dog toys and he's shredded all of them!
I bought him a new one today that looked quite robust and not the cheapest, leg was off it after 10 minutes :(
I think it's trial and error to find what each dog likes. Murphy doesn't shred the balls we take on walks or the kong, anything else especially vinyl toys don't last a day :roll:
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 05 May 2011, 23:06

Bruce had a huge gorilla teddy that was mine when I was kid he used to snuggle up to it when I first brought him home when he was tired then as the weeks went on he started to bonk it then he slowly started to chew him to bits from then on anything soft and cuddly got destroyed pretty quickly I have one toy that survived Bruces puppy hood and that was a really tough blue ring he loves it but has yet managed to break it although he trys :D Image
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 05 May 2011, 23:39

There was a warning about children's toys, it claimed that there were several reports of.where pups and dogs had been killed through playing with childrens soft toys and the stuffing turned into a gel like substance and blocked the dog up.

inkamum

Post by inkamum » 05 May 2011, 23:41

.... There was a thread back along, that warned that childrens soft toys sometimes have a jelly in them, that, if eaten by a dog can cause SERIOUS (fatal) damage to the intestines ..... personally i would always go for dog toys ...... when the manufacturer of the childrens toys, was contacted (i remember) the reply was that children wouldnt Eat the toys :? :shock: :shock: :shock: ............. just something to be aware of .............

Just seen Nuttymutts reply ... yep ... be careful .........
hari and inka

ImageImage

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 06 May 2011, 09:38

Thanks for your replies. I have one soft 'dog' toy at the moment. Think I will just see how he reacts to that before buying anymore.. :D

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 06 May 2011, 10:31

Sorry im a bit late replying to this topic but I hope it gets read.
You should be VERY VERY carefully with giving human toys to dogs, because they are meant to be for children the stuffing is treated which dog toys ARE NOT. The stuffing is treated with a fire retardant and an anti-mite repellent and this IS poisonous to dogs.....so if your dog is a soft toy chewer then don't let it play with human toys if you cant see the dog at all times.
You all might want to check up on this with your vets or google it, im only aware of this as a link was sent to me from my friend Gill who lives in Texas, she saw it on her news about a woman who went to the "Thrift store", I guess that is like our charity shops, and bought toys for her dog. Her dog stopped eating and was sick a few times so she took him to the vets. They thought he had something stuck in his tummy as it was hard so they opened him up. His intestines were black as they were dead, they rang the owner and said they could do nothing and had him put to sleep, there was not enough good intestines left.
The vets found a gell like substance in his tummy also and they sent some off to a lab and his blackened intestines and thats when they found out about the fire retardant & anti-mite repellent stuff. It had turned to gel in his tummy (the hard lump the vet felt) and then killed off his intestines as it passed along. I child would have the toy removed off it if the parent saw it eating the stuffing but children don't eat there teddies.
THIS IS NOT A WIDE UP AT ALL. Dorcas has 1 human toy & it is the only one she has not ripped. I have bought very strong darning thread & I re-sew the ones she rips up (I take them off her once there is a hole so its not too big a job)
Please look into this, Stephanie xx
Me and Mummy

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 06 May 2011, 10:45

Hi Lou, I've already posted you on this one but just an afterthought - unlike kiddies, dogs really don't care whether a toy looks cute and cuddly. Bella's favourite toy was a long (above knee length) sock that belonged to my daughter. We stuffed it with a small towel and sewed it up. it was actually made for a fancy dress party my daughter went to as a cat!! It was her "tail" :lol: :lol: After the event Bella was allowed to play with it and it was great. Lasted for ages! In view of the warnings given by several members why not just make your own toys? Much cheaper and you know they're safe. A denim "sausage" would be pretty robust from an old pair of jeans! Jean x
Jean & Bella xxx

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 06 May 2011, 11:04

* urban myth *

Believe this is one of those dreaful email pranks? that go round and round for years.
I do remove the bag of beads as it makes such a darn mess all over the place and don't like the idea of it being eaten anyway.

Here is previous posting from last year
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15173&start=15

Just keep an eye on whatever toy ( kids or dogs) is given is my motto.
Some handsome dood had a major op last year after chomping a dog toy,so really I think we just need to be careful whatever toy is given