Raw food diet - Advice needed please :)

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Hannah&Bob

Raw food diet - Advice needed please :)

Post by Hannah&Bob » 08 May 2011, 16:58

I have decided after lots of thinking to move Bob over to a raw food diet after 18 months on dry. He was getting bored of his food easily so started making the switch about a week ago. We started with chicken and beef and he still seems a bit confused when I feed him. He gets into it eventually but licks it and leaves it for a while first. Is this normal? Does this mean he isn't keen on raw? I can't help thinking the raw food isn't enough for him to give him all he needs, for example, this morning he had a chicken leg and 2 pieces of Beef and will have slightly more of the same tonight for his dinner. Do people think this sounds right? Can anyone give examples of daily raw food quantities that they tend to feed? I have looked online and researched but it just doesn't look like enough to me. I guess it just takes some getting use to. Also how long did people wait before introducing things like organs to the diet after switching to raw?

Also, one last question i promise, is it ok to give scraps of cooked meat when feeding the raw diet?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure my boy is getting what he needs any advice would be brilliant. :)
Hannah and Bobby

Meraline

Re: Raw food diet - Advice needed please :)

Post by Meraline » 08 May 2011, 19:25

Hi I have just started Brandy on Raw we are on day 3 and she is loving it.I changed for same reason as you Kibbles were being left.I went on site Doodles and Poodles and Frosty has lots of info on there got this info from Bid a regular user of Labradoodle site. Very easy just register same as Labradoodle site. I found a good web site for info

k9rawdiet.com/FAQ-p-5.html

I dont know where abouts you live but I got good info and food from Nuturing with Nature a shop in West Moors near Bournemouth
Brandy is only 5 months old and weighs about 11.5 kgs the site suggests 4-8% of body weight per day but if you read info on the site it will tell you all about offal etc. Hope this helps as I was very confused (Still am)hoping I was giving her enough as it didnt seem much.
Today she has had Breakfast 150Grams raw minced chicken and pur ed veg. Lunch tin sardines and a chicken wing. Dinner 150 grams chicken minced and veg. Not one drop has been left since Friday result let me know how you get on and any extra info you learn pass on please GOOD LUCK Meraline and Brandy

maryh

Post by maryh » 08 May 2011, 19:26

Hi Hannah,
Sounds very familiar to me. I switched Amber from dry to raw around the same time and for similar reasons. She was also a little perplexed at first, as you say licking and eventually eating. Just give it a bit of time. She scoffs the lot now with great gusto !! Really enjoys her mealtimes. Amounts.. I think I'm right in saying on a raw diet the amounts should be 2 to 3 percent of the dogs body weight per day. Amber's about 25kg and I give her between 500g and 650g per day. This seems to keep her lean fit and healthy. As for what to feed : I give her Darlings Real dog food, but there are others out there, it's a complete diet, includes meat, ground bone, offal, raw veg and a few suppliments. Check out their website and maybe give them a call or pm me .. She also gets the chicken wings and large meaty bones (and I mean large !) twice a week to help clean her teeth.. and for fun of course ! Have to say it's easy peasy and I have a happier healthy dog tooboot..

Hope this helps..

Mary and Amber

Meraline

Post by Meraline » 08 May 2011, 19:34

Hannah sorry about % of food of course Brandy is a puppy so needs more than an adult dog as Mary h said in her reply

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 08 May 2011, 19:40

I tried Raw and raised two of my pups on Raw, Faith and Isis and the hipscores are my highest, still below breed average but higher than my others :(

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 09 May 2011, 01:36

The say diet does take some getting used to. There is a book called The BARF Diet by Ian Billinghurst ....I call it my bible. IT it plain and simple. Tells you the basics and is great for any one including me and my scatter brain

Meryl

Post by Meryl » 09 May 2011, 09:46

I raw feed my dogs as it seems to go against my instincts to feed a dog just dry kibble. Ian Billinghursts book is a very good book. As a guide you can calculate what your dog needs at the site below.

Also a lazy way to start is to look in the frozen food section of Pets at Home. They do a good selection of frozen complete BARF dinners in the form of nuggets. I've usually got a couple of bags of Banquet nuggets in the freezer for emergencies. Their tripe chunks are very good as well and a good supply of green tripe. The tripe that you get from the butchers has been bleached and is for human compsuption but has no nutritional value for dogs. Unless your dog has a weight problem, use full fat versions of natural bio yogurt and goats milk.

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/
http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/
http://jeffs-tripe.co.uk/
http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/
http://www.tpms.co.uk/

You may notice that your dog will lose weight but have more energy on a raw diet. I found both books below good sources of information.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Give-Your-Dog-B ... 703&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barf-Diet-Cats- ... 703&sr=1-2
Last edited by Meryl on 09 May 2011, 09:59, edited 2 times in total.

Meryl

Post by Meryl » 09 May 2011, 09:58

Forgot to add that if at all possible it's safer to prefreeze raw meat, especially if it's butchers leftovers, for at least 24 hours before feeding. This reduces the small risk of toxo bacteria - toxoplasmosis, toxoneospora making your dog ill.

Clare

Post by Clare » 09 May 2011, 12:24

PennyAli wrote:I tried Raw and raised two of my pups on Raw, Faith and Isis and the hipscores are my highest, still below breed average but higher than my others :(

Why should that be? Do you think it's related to the food?

Clare and Pebbles

Meryl

Post by Meryl » 09 May 2011, 13:59

It could possibly be nutrition related. By feeding whole raw food, you know the quality of protein source is good. Some kibbles quote a protein content that may not necessarily be of a quality that dogs can easily digest or use. Some protein in kibble is derived from vegetables and 'meal'. Meal quite often is the rubbish in meat like beaks and feet which don't have alot of nutritional value but are part of the protein content of kibble. Raw meat and bones (including chicken wings, legs, necks, beef ribs, lamb ribs, rabbit etc) contain alot of Calcium, Phophate, chondroitin and glucosamine needed for joint formation in young dogs. All the gristley stuff we wouldn't eat as humans is very good for dogs.

If feeding just kibble you should feed the best you can afford. Have a look to see what the minimum meat content vs meat 'meal'. Avoid anything where meal is high on the ingredients list or with a high oil content unless it is fish oil. (Omega 3 - don't be fooled into thinking Canoli oil is a good substitute as the goodness in canoli oil is destroyed in the manufacturing process)

The occasional left overs from dinner (Sunday roast being the main one) are fine for most dogs just never cooked bones. But meat, potatoes, Yorkshire pud, veggies are all fine. Dogs may have a bit of wind afterwards though!
Last edited by Meryl on 09 May 2011, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 May 2011, 14:06

Oooh - hot topic - this is what I'm studying atm on my course!

Meal is OK as long as it says what animal it comes from, so chicken meal is fine, as is beef meal, lamb meal etc, but if it says meat meal then it is best avoided. Other things to avoid are meat derivatives and by-products whether they name the meat or not.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 09 May 2011, 20:57

Clare wrote: Why should that be? Do you think it's related to the food?
It is the only thing that changed, Isis mum's hipscore is 9 and her dads is 10 yet she is a 12, Faith is sister to Isis mum who is a 9 but Faith's dad produced pups with a 0 hipscore which is why I used him yet she has a hipscore of 13, only thing I did different was diet

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 09 May 2011, 21:14

Lisa, that's interesting as everything I have read seems to indicate that better scores would be achieved by feeding BARF, Maisy's the first pup that I've fed BARF more or less 100%, Pippin was fed kibble until a year and Bella was 50/50 kibble/BARF, again until a year, both have great hip scores. Will be interested to see what happens with Maisy with her being all BARF.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 09 May 2011, 22:01

Pippin wrote:Lisa, that's interesting as everything I have read seems to indicate that better scores would be achieved by feeding BARF.
That's why I tried it lol but it didn't work out that way for me. I have only ever had two dogs that have had joint problems, both from fully tested parents and both born and raised on BARF and now I feel guilty for raising them on BARF. If you don't get the BARF diet 100% right you risk damaging the young dogs development, I fear I got it wrong so its good quality completes for mine from now on :D

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 May 2011, 22:11

The trouble is there is more to it that breeding and nutrition, otherwise you would be getting whole litters with problems, rather than the more usual one or two out of a litter. Exercise has a lot to do with it, as does the way puppies behave. FOr example one pup could jump up a lot, whereas the others in the litter may not, and so on. It's practically impossible to pinpoint the exact cause usually. :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron