Walking your doodles???

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Florrie!

Walking your doodles???

Post by Florrie! » 12 May 2011, 08:09

Just wanted to know how often you all walk your doodles for every day? How many walks do they have, what time, and how long for? I just want to make sure that florrie is getting enough daily excersise.
Thanks
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Bid

Re: Walking your doodles???

Post by Bid » 12 May 2011, 08:34

Mine each get 2 walks a day, the first one is between 40 mins and an hour, and the second one is 1 hour or more depending on where we go and who we meet, and they swim in a hydro pool once a week - sometimes fortnightly. That is more or less all Daisy gets as she has hip problems and doesn't want to do more. Poppy also does agility twice a week, and either does PAT dog visits or short town walks a couple of times a week to keep her used to things we don't see on our walks - her thinking outings are just as tiring as her running about ones! They have free access to the garden between their walks too.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 12 May 2011, 09:00

My 2 get usually 2 walks a day - the mng is approx 2 hours we are out but alot of that is playing - balls and the odd stick and sometimes a swim depending on where we go and the eve is approx 1 hr again alot of playing and the opportunity to rest if they want. They are off the lead 90% of the time
They do sleep all day .
Weekends are different and not so much - we catch up on other things - housework shopping etc.
My view is stimulation too - as long as they have plenty then that is as good as a long walk.
ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 12 May 2011, 09:00

My 2 get usually 2 walks a day - the mng is approx 2 hours we are out but alot of that is playing - balls and the odd stick and sometimes a swim depending on where we go and the eve is approx 1 hr again alot of playing and the opportunity to rest if they want. They are off the lead 90% of the time
They do sleep all day .
Weekends are different and not so much - we catch up on other things - housework shopping etc.
My view is stimulation too - as long as they have plenty then that is as good as a long walk.
ImageImage

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 12 May 2011, 10:39

A lot depends on their age and size. Bella is a miniature and 11 months old. She gets 4 half hour walks a day, each one involves about 10 - 15 minutes off lead where she doodle dashes, bounces to about 5 feet in the air and runs like a greyhound!!!
However, a larger doodle by us is having to be kept on a lead for his walks, he's a month younger than Bella but he's so big and heavy that he's having joint problems. you need to be careful, especially with the full size ones until they are about 18 months old. Too much off lead exercise can cause major problems later in life. If you look on the labradoodle trust website they have a section giving advice on exercise.
Jean & Bella xxx

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 12 May 2011, 11:49

Lola had the usual 5 minutes per month until she was a year old, with one long walk a week.

Now she has an hour in the morning and play in the afternoon. She doesn't seem to require more than this, and sometimes if I am ill she gets her walk later in the day. One or two days a week she gets a longer walk. Last night she had another one in the fields with my son for a couple of hours, so it depends what's going on.

But the hour walk she does get is like a 4 hour walk for any other dog - she runs round in circles and goes 10 times as far as anyone else!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

We heart Daisy!

Post by We heart Daisy! » 12 May 2011, 12:37

I find it really difficult to keep to the 5 mins per month rule. I do it, but can't wait until Daze is able to go for long walks without me always looking at the time. I have been known to take her on her walk, realise the time and have to carry her back home :lol:

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 12 May 2011, 12:57

i did a lot of that! In fact we took her puppy carrier with us and popped her in for long periods of walks so we actually got one!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Leah

Post by Leah » 12 May 2011, 13:40

Monty is a standard size 1 yr old doodle. I walk him round the block first thing 7.30 ish, then breakfast. He comes on the school/nursery walk, then has 1hr walk all off lead. After lunch he has another 1 hr walk, sometimes with ball thrower. Round the block last thing 9pm ish. At home he sleeps, or lies down all the time and is very calm, so this seems to be enough exercise for him.

Leah

whirlwindmum

Post by whirlwindmum » 12 May 2011, 13:54

I went with the 5 min rule when Alfie was younger.
Now at 19 months and 30kg he has
5.30 am half hour longline walk round woods ( occasionaly off lead, but finds if funny to make hubby late for work :roll: )

Lunchtime..1 hour lead walk

6pm ish 1 hour off lead running round, chasing dogs or hubby.

weekend no lunchtime but has off lead chasing a greyhound about 8am for an hour or till he drops :lol:
Alfie is also nice and calm in the home, but miss a walk and he starts digging and beening a pain in the bum.
i]Treena & Alfie[/i]

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 12 May 2011, 15:07

Wes has two walks a day,each about 20 mins.We walk to the local school(to try and get him used to children/pushchairs) each morning and in the early evening we drive to the beach and he has time off lead.When he is older I shall walk him to and from the beach but he is only just 5 months old.He spends a fair ammount of time dashing around the garden and from the lounge to the dining room,recently including the sofa.chairs etc as launch pads.He gets tired if I drive around with him, today we went through the car wash and he loved it !

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 12 May 2011, 16:46

On a non training day Herbert has a 1-1 1/2h walk and time is dependent on what else is going on. On a training days we are upto 2h20mins covering 10miles half of this is off lead.
He is still young 16 months and has had a history of limping. On the non training days he still sleeps a lot. Since we have had Ted they play for several hours a day too. :D
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage

kizzie whizz

Post by kizzie whizz » 12 May 2011, 16:57

We go out twice a day, around 45 minutes running around off lead. A couple of times a week I take them out on their leads, on the pavement for around 1/2 hour, to practice walking past people, cars, joggers etc.
Bigger dogs shouldn't walk too much on hard surfaces until they are fully grown in case it damages their joints. 5 minutes walking per month of age is a good base.
Wendy, Kizzie Whizz and Murphy
ImageImage

Hannah&Bob

Post by Hannah&Bob » 12 May 2011, 17:06

Bob gets about 30-40 minutes first thing and then 1-2 hours at some point later in the day depending on what's going on. Weekends he gets one long walk a day. They are a mixture of on and off lead walks. This seems plenty for him and he has never been a problem in the house. He sleeps most of the time when we are in and is very calm (in the house that is ;))
Hannah and Bobby

john ford

Post by john ford » 12 May 2011, 19:44

we have 2 walks a day hour on mornin and half hour about 2 he as a run around and thats enough for dexter he gets out of breath so u now when ur dogs had enough