Walking your doodles???

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
LakeDistrictDoodle

Re: Walking your doodles???

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 12 May 2011, 21:47

Dorcas gets 3 walks and 1 game of ballie if im at work but when im off she gets several a day of differant lenghts, some will only take 15 mins. She will also have 2 games of ballie (one at lunch and 1 about 8pm) she is walked a short walk last thing before we go to bed.
If the weather is dry she goes out on her long 30' lead which is attached to the kitchen table leg (as it weighs a ton) as she wonders in and out as much as she likes.
We did the 5 min walks when she was tiny, about 20 a day im sure!!!!!! Much more fun when they are grown up and you can play and run with them more :D
Me and Mummy

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 12 May 2011, 22:00

Thanks for your replies everybody.
Florrie gets a half hour walk around the park on lead in the mornings and I take her out for training in the evenings after I get home from work usually about half 6. She goes on her long line in the evenings and we have just started being able to let go of the line and let her run around and do recall work with her. Due to her anxiety, she is quite tired alot of the time anyway and after her evening run around, once she starts to tire thats when I take her home again. She's exhausted after her evening run around and she takes herself to bed by 9pm!

Florrie Lorrie

michala

Post by michala » 12 May 2011, 22:39

gee i am exhausted just reading your posts - i own up my two girls may get fabulous walks when on holiday and at weekends but our weekday life is more like a quick twenty mins twice a day and sometimes not at all!!!!!!!. They do have the garden but to be honest they are so happy pottering around the house and really are a very chilled pair. However, upon reading this, and feeling a little inadequate, we will endeavour to improve our walking weekday lulls.

Clare

Post by Clare » 13 May 2011, 08:27

I stuck to the 5 mins per month for the first about 9 months. Now Pebbles has a couple of walks a day the morning one about an hour off the lead and in the evening about 30 - 40 mins on the lead. She still does a couple of "doodle dashes " each evening then sleeps from about 9pm. Holidays and weekends she gets longer walks.

Clare and Pebbles

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 13 May 2011, 11:35

Michala, I would not feel bad at all about your walkies. There are days when I have only taken Dorcas out once or twice, especialy when the weather is real bad where the rain comes down like stair rods. Even she hates them so we don't go out. We don't do the mega walks at weekend like some do as I don't work mon-fri, I work an 8 day rolling week so weekends are no big thing. Dorcas is happy to potter around after me all day BUT there are days when she stays stretched out on the bed.....alllllllllll day if you let her :lol:
You know if your own dog wants to go out or not, they soon let you know if they are fed up and want to play.
Today it is cold up here and keeps raining. Dorcas has had one walk and played with her hunting dummy (I throw it over the back of the sofa and she keeps bringing it into the spare room for me to do it again...we live in a bugalow) she has been on the bed and only got off to bark as the postie came, milkman went past and the farmer started shouting his cows to move then to another field, right now.........fast asleep. :D x
Me and Mummy

looby83

Post by looby83 » 13 May 2011, 13:41

Molly has 30 mins round the block in the morning, about an hour mid-afternoon and about 40 mins early evening. We take her to local woods / big park at weekends for a good run round, but she does lots of play/fetching in our garden as well.

We have never felt that she needs more, and is just happy sitting looking out of the window when I am home in the afternoons.
ImageImage