1st Vet Visit & already vet disapproves!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
xxLouxx

1st Vet Visit & already vet disapproves!

Post by xxLouxx » 05 Jun 2011, 01:18

Ok, so I have an ALF pure Australian Labradoodle :shock: (I will only use his full title in order to explain my post :wink: ).

After months of research, my husband and I for certain reasons choose the Australian labradoodle & went to great lengths looking at breeders credentials, recommendations and paperwork regarding parentage, hip scores, eye scores etc etc,the list is endless (by the way, as many of you know, I love ALL doodles -UK or not UK)!

Throughtout all my research, it became evident that there are conflicting opinions regarding Australian vs UK. Most have which have been discussed on here! Incidently I'm fully aware of the Tegan park and Rutland manor fiasco which makes very sad reading however there are breeders of the Australian labradoodle who clearly LOVE their doodles (many genetic descendents of the rutland or tegan dogs) and through careful breeding,
care and advice excel in maintaining the 'purity' of the Australian breed. I
have viewed this first hand on more than one unplanned visit.

Anyway, I will get to the point of my post :oops:

ozzy is a 7 th generation Alf and this is what now deems him to be (on paper) a pure Australian labradoodle however it seems that many people
who do not fully understand the difference & consistency of maintaining the genetic lines (I do not mean people on this forum!) may still perceive
that Australian labradoodle owners just want an over expensive 'designer pooch'!

I experienced this first hand on friday when I took Ozzy for his 2nd set of
vaccines and his first visit to our vets. The vet was very surprised (&
disapproving) of the fact that ozzy had been spayed at such a young age
(I know this could be a topic in itself) & advised me that "this is very
unusual in Britain". I replied that I was aware of that but is was because
he was a pure Australian labradoodle and it was important that the purity
of his genetic family tree was maintained. He turned to me with a half
smirk, eyes to the ceiling and said "you DO know that there is no
difference between an Australian and UK labradoodle"?!?! (remember
folks I love all doodles!!). He was very condescending and went on to 'tell'
me that the reason the pups are spayed so young is but allow the
breeder the 'monopoly of the breed" :shock: I am not unaware that Yes breeders are in business however I was confident enough to tell him "the differences" & went on to tell him the whole history/story regarding the
origin of the "Australian labradoodle" (knew all my research would come
in handy!) and the pros and cons of early spaying :shock:

However, being anxious already regarding taking Ozzy in the car on my own and it being his first visit to the vets & worrying about him getting
his vaccines, I came away feeling that the vet looked at me as though I
was a pretentious owner of a 'designer puppy'!! Nothing could be further
from the truth :lol: Prior to even looking at purchasing a puppy, we had
spent ages wandering around rescue dog shelters trying to find a suitable
dog. I would have had ANY dog if our family circumstances had allowed. However we made the decision to sacrafice a family holiday to allow us to
get Ozzy for our family as we felt strongly enough that the traits of the Aussie was important for our family.

I just felt utterly deflated and a little intimidatec by the time I left the vets (it's a large vet practice but the only one in our little semi rural village). When people ask me "what breed of dog is Ozzy", i always say "
he is a "labradoodle". The subject of Australian labradoodles' would not even have come up had the vet not questioned his early spaying!

I accept everyone has a point of view and utterly respect that, however as a proffessional, I felt the vet was 'judging and challenging' my decision
to chose that breed despite him being 'ill-informed' regarding the breed himself!!

By the time we left he was a wee bit more informed but I am worried
that he is going to be disapproving of Ozzy at future visits. I'm certainly not looking forward to going back :(

I hope that my post has come over the way intended and is not viewed as a popularity contest between breeds of dogs :oops: I love them ALL..

Incidently Ozzy was a wee star!
x

Adam Lindley

Re: 1st Vet Visit & already vet disapproves!

Post by Adam Lindley » 05 Jun 2011, 02:30

Unfortunately not a lot you can do except change vet if it's an issue.

It seems that the argument has moved on from pedigree v crossbreed to origin v Aussie. Both of them are false arguments in my mind.

From a vet perspective a dog is a dog and the treatments don't change between breeds.

watto

Post by watto » 05 Jun 2011, 07:18

Hi Lou,

Don't worry about it!! As Adam says, change vet if he continues to give you a hard time.

I had one little comment at Charlie's first appointment, which generated an interesting discussion. My vet at least was informed, but mentioned possible later effects such as incontinence.

We had a good laugh at the next appointment where he forgot Charlie was neutered, and told me he could feel his testicles.... :lol: :lol: I said: "oh, so what do they take when they neuter them?" He had the good grace to look embarrassed, and at the end of the appointment, asked sheepishly if I wanted to hear his excuse!

Just love your dog - you will hear lots of different views, often forcefully presented.

Jo

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 05 Jun 2011, 08:36

Regardless of status young Ozzie is a good looking boy.

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2011, 08:46

I am going to be unpopular and slightly agree with your vet. You are right in that no matter what his opinions of your choice of breed, he should not have made you feel awkward about taking your puppy to see him. I do share his opinion though, that breeders who ESN their pups are doing so out of business interests and not for the health of the pups (and I just know that will bring out all the Aussie breeders with the usual arguments :roll: - I just don't agree with them :| ), and if he as a vet feels the same, then imo it is right that he should say so.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

redheadreddog

Post by redheadreddog » 05 Jun 2011, 09:57

Bid i am sorry but im with you on this one,i have a rescue dog as most of you no and she was spayed earley and has
started to leek at all times and my vet told me the same the she was done to earley,its wrong IMO as the body dose not get a chance to grown and meture to its full needs so yes im sorry to but i do agree with your vet its done so they make sure the breeding is in there controlle.
As for the puppy it is a fab looking dog and i do hope you injoy the puppy and have a happy life togeather.
redheadreddog heather

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 05 Jun 2011, 10:01

Without debating ESN there's a bit of a flaw in your vet's argument,if there is no difference between UK and Aussies then why would it be necessary for Aussie breeders to ESN to protect their lines?

Hopefully you will find a vet within the practise that you like and you can always just make your appointment with them.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 05 Jun 2011, 12:53

I accept everyone has a point of view and utterly respect that, however as a proffessional, I felt the vet was 'judging and challenging' my decision
to chose that breed despite him being 'ill-informed' regarding the breed himself!!

By the time we left he was a wee bit more informed but I am worried
that he is going to be disapproving of Ozzy at future visits. I'm certainly not looking forward to going back
i would change vets personally :shock: its not upto them to comment on what breed of dog you have chosen to fit into your lifestyle, its their job to ensure whatever breed your puppy is, he is nice and healthy.

We have had similar problems with groomers :( why didnt you get a poodle? My poodle is much better behaved when i groom it etc :roll: hey but my doodle can do... *list clever tasks* so eat that :P :lol:

Ozzy looks wonderful, im sure he will make you very proud :D you will always come across doodle lovers and doodle haters, its hilarious when you see people petting your dog telling him hes gorgeous and then 30 seconds later when they find out hes not 'a real poodle' they pull a face and walk off :lol: im very proud of my REAL DOODLE! :D

as for ESN i dont really know anything about it so wont comment.
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 05 Jun 2011, 13:22

Hi

When we took Dixie - an aussi minature too to the vet he was extremely interested in her and the fact that she had been spayed. He was not at all judgemental and treated her how he would any other dog. [In fact one of the nurses had had experience in America where she said it was more common practice] I'm lucky I suppose and if possible I would change your vet otherwise you might find that the intimidation will upset you and then gorgeous Ozzie will pick up on.
I have an open mind about ESN and will not say whether its good or bad, we all have opinions and I respect all of them.
If in the future Dixie's early ESN brings on medical problems then we will deal with it.
I don't think anyone will have the last word with this topic it does rumble on and pops up every now and again.
Enjoy Ozzie - by the way he's too pretty to be a boy !!!!!
ImageImage

gayle37

Post by gayle37 » 05 Jun 2011, 13:57

Hi, how old was youre pup when she was spayed?
I must admit the only reason for early spaying by the breeder is so you dont breed from her. :shock:
I myself would Not buy a puppy who has been spayed early.
ImageImage[/img]

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 05 Jun 2011, 14:08

Im a newbee and dont know enough about this topic :shock: so im not going to get involved in the subject of aus x uk but i am interested in what is the 'perfect' age to spay a puppy? My vet recommends before their first season at around 6 months :?
Alison & Lola x

gayle37

Post by gayle37 » 05 Jun 2011, 14:22

Hi, my vet advised any time AFTER their first season but before their second one.
My vet aslo offers key hole surgery for spaying, dont know how much though.
ImageImage[/img]

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 05 Jun 2011, 14:46

Hi there, I do not agree with spaying so young as I think it is just for the breeders to stop you breeding from your pup and they can charge silly money. Lets face it, the money you pay for ANY cross breed puppy now is stupid, just a few years ago you would of got a cross breed for £20-£50, that said what we all choose to pay for a pup is only our own business though.

The health issues regarding spaying/neutering at such a young age is the worry here. How can a dog grew up properly if you take away all the "hormones" that make it grow????? Or am I not getting it?????

We have 4 fully trained vets at ours and there is always a couple of students (and we live in a really rural area, but we need so many due to all the farms and such a big area) and the vets opinion about the spaying ages differs, half will say before the 1st season and the other say in between season 1 and 2 so it is not a 100% fact of when its right so go with what your head tells you.

ANYWAY all that said, I really came on to say that Ozzy is the cutest little fella ever and so looking forward to seeing the photos as he grows. Im sure he will be a stunner. As for your vet, maybe he just wishes he could afford an aussie doodle, lol :lol:
Me and Mummy

Leo22

Post by Leo22 » 05 Jun 2011, 15:13

Hi Lou,
Without getting into the debate of early spaying/neutering (as I don't feel knowledgable enough to give an informed opinion), I do think the vet was overstepping the mark being so forthright with you and making you feel uncomfortable.
It is his job to care for your dog and advise you about various issues in a 'non judgemental' manner. Ozzy is your dog and you reserve the right to make choices and decisions about him without feeling the need to justify them.
I am an RMN and I'm sure like you, have to 'hold my tongue' at times when dealing with families of patients. I, frequently disagree or disapprove about different things but would never force my opinions.
If I were you I would change your vet as all sorts of problems could crop up after this first experience, you just want the vet to love your boy as much as you do!!
I have got a fab vet, I was so worried about Mo when he was having his op that he said I could go
in and help him if it made me feel more reassured!!
I declined his offer!!
Ozzy is scrumptious by the way, I bet you don't stop cuddling him xx

Lynne and Moses

norton1989

Post by norton1989 » 05 Jun 2011, 16:36

As others have stated I would change vets if you possibly can, as my late Father used to say "he who pays the piper call the tune".

When we took our 50/50, Henry to our local vets on day 2 from picking him up at 8 weeks, just to get him checked out [our breeder asked we do this to make sure we were happy], I explained that he had been nuetered and I didn't necessarily agree but that was what had been done, also I explained that he had received his first lot of jabs and would need to book his boosters.

The vet questioned if he had been neutered and suggested to me that I was wrong, then he said he would need all his jabs again and finally stated that he had a heart murmer. His whole manner was very condesending and abrupt, in fact a right *illock.

My wife and I did no more but booked him in to another vets, checked over again and given a full bill of health, jabs to be done only boosters etc etc.no comment on ESD.

I think an awful lot of vets have this hi and mighty attitude and really need putting down a peg or two, your little bundle of fun will give you lots of joy I am sure.

And of course you will have the final laugh as you have got the best dog in the world......a Labradoodle [well 2nd best as our Henry is the best] :D