Vets near calais?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
millysmum

Vets near calais?

Post by millysmum » 21 Jun 2011, 17:30

Hi

Has anyone used a vet near Calais that they could recommend (especially one that is open on Saturday?) who reliably supplied and documented the tick and tapeworm treatment required for the pet passport scheme? Defra have just told me to look in French Yellow pages.

Any idea how much we will need to pay for this service. I am expecting it to be a lot!

Cheers, Lynne
Image Image

LakeDistrictDoodle

Re: Vets near calais?

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 21 Jun 2011, 22:05

There are several in around there and are open on saturdays. We are getting Dorcas's done on the friday as we travel back saturday night (in aug) but we are getting her done down in Limousin as we are staying down there.

Are you holidaying in Calais? You must be traveling back on the sunday are you if you are looking for a vet for the saturday????

Where are you staying? Are you in a B&B or a Gite? If yes do the owners have dogs as it would be better to use their vets rather than one in Calais, as they will be able to help you, especially if you need the help with your french.

Hope I can help you more if you need it :D
Me and Mummy

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 21 Jun 2011, 23:46

Ah, that's an interesting thought, to have her done where we would actually like to be on the Saturday. We are doing a long drive up from the south and I suppose it's not going to be that much fun hanging round Calais until our Monday morning trip across the channel. I was just thinking that there would at least be plenty of vets to choose from in Calais - and ones open on the Saturday - who would be keen to pick up the pet passport trade.

I haven't planned our route yet actually, but we certainly don't know any french people with dogs, so I am going to have to battle with making the appointment myself.

Cheers, Lynne
Image Image

Hardulph

Post by Hardulph » 22 Jun 2011, 07:34

There is a blog here that you may find useful - it recommends an english speaking veterinary surgery near Calais.
http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/thinking ... treatment/

Diane

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 22 Jun 2011, 08:40

That is so helpful, thanks! :D
Image Image

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 22 Jun 2011, 12:03

www.vet2u.eu is ab english speaking vet down south, north of Toulouse, she is very helpful and has a website where you can email her questions.
You would have to go to the vets late on Saturday if you are traveling Monday....say you went to the vets at 5pm saturday you would need to of left France NO LATER than 4.30pm Monday or you will have to go through it all again and wait another 24 hours.
Me and Mummy

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 22 Jun 2011, 12:09

Thank you LakeDistrictDoodle. Much appreciated.
Lynne
Image Image

wellies

Post by wellies » 22 Jun 2011, 22:17

Pages Jaunes (French version of Yellow Pages) (http://www.pagesjaunes.fr) is the easy way to find a vet near where you are staying. If you don't speak any French the local Tourist Office will probably help you book an appointment - they mostly speak some english and and are really helpful, we've found. The vet usually costs us anywhere from 40 to 60 euros. If you turn up with your own tick treatment (frontline, or whatever) that helps to keep the price down. It's crucial to check that the vet fills in the pets passport correctly! Sometimes they can be a bit slapdash, and if the paperwork's not correct when you get to the ferry terminal it means trouble!
Dave
Leon and Sally: fast moving and heading for the horizon!

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 23 Jun 2011, 08:18

I seem to remember there was one in Desvres who had really good English.

If you are staying in one area then I'd recommend popping in to see the vet there and discussing it with them. The DEFRA website is really good and well worth reading, but it doesn't have the French phrases the old one did, although the archive is still online. Here is the relevant stuff from it:

I am travelling back to the UK with my dog under the Pet Travel Scheme

Je retourne au Royaume-Uni avec mon chien dans le cadre du Programme de voyage des animaux de compagnie (PVAC) [Pet Travel Scheme - PETS].

Can you read my pet's microchip? Do you have a microchip reader? The microchip is located here (point where the microchip is).

Pouvez-vous lire la micropuce de mon animal? Avez-vous un lecteur de micropuce? La puce est ici (montrez du doigt l'endroit où se trouve la puce).

My pet has to be treated against ticks and tapeworms (Rhipicephalus sanguineus and Echinococcus multilocularis). Can you do this?

Mon animal doit être traité contre les tiques et les ténias (Rhipicephalus sanguineus et Echinococcus multilocularis). Pouvez-vous le faire?

The treatment for ticks must be an acaricide licensed for use against ticks. A tick collar is not acceptable. The treatment for tapeworms must contain praziquantel.

Le traitement contre les tiques doit être un acaricide agréé pour une utilisation contre les tiques. Un collier antiparasitaire contre les tiques n'est pas acceptable. Le traitement contre les ténias doit contenir du praziquantel.

My dog has been vaccinated against rabies and successfully blood tested.

Mon chien a été vacciné contre la rage. On lui a ensuite fait une analyse de sang, avec un résultat satisfaisant.

They usually use Frontline for the ticks and Drontal/Droncit either injection or tablets for the worms. Our last dog was bad at taking pills so I try to remember to take some rillettes or pate with me to help them down, although these days they tend to do injections instead. As my OH said, do take the time to read through what they have written in the passport before leaving the vets, I've known them forget to write in the time, which is critical.

Don't get nervous about it, provided you make sure the treatment is carried out between 24-48 hours of your crossing departure and that the passport has been completed correctly, the procedures are simple and trouble free. The problems people have with it are almost entirely due to incorrect timing or vet's paperwork errors.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Bruggesmum

Post by Bruggesmum » 23 Jun 2011, 12:19

We use one of the vets reccomended by The Shuttle company.
Dr C Vermoote
9 avenue Ferber
62250 Marquise
Tel 03 21 92 69 12

It's on the main street of the town, but it's cash only.

Danda

Post by Danda » 24 Jun 2011, 10:36

LakedistricDooodle, where are you staying?! We'll be in the Limousine/Haute Vienne area in August 8)
We'll take him to the vet late Saturday and are planning on catching the eurotunnel at by 4 on the Monday.
I suppose nothing lost by calling local vets from yellow pages and asking if they speak English, if they don't try the next one. Our previous vet spoke English but he has retired and the vet who has taken over doesn't :(

Anna
ImageImage ImageImage