THIS IS NOT A MUZZLE!!!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
blueboysgirl

THIS IS NOT A MUZZLE!!!!!

Post by blueboysgirl » 04 Jul 2011, 19:09

Anyone thought about printing t-shirts, or leads with "I AM NOT MUZZLED - THIS IS A HEAD COLLAR"

Just need a place to vent!!!!

With the lighter evenings, and more people staying out to play later, and in greater numbers because of the nice weather, I'm feeling quite cross and embarrassed of people side stepping around us or pulling their kids away from us when out and about.

"Don't touch it, that one's muzzled"
"Oooh is he a biter?"
"I won't stroke him, I don't want to annoy him"
"He looks a bit fierce with his muzzle on"
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see he is muzzled"
"Is he vicious?"
"mind your finger's, it has a muzzle on"
....................get the idea?....................

The latest one from a family friend who we haven't seen out on our walks for a good six months, didn't come to say hello to me outside the school with Bruno as "He might of gone for me. Have you had problems with him biting people then?"

A) Bruno has never bitten the kids in PLAY even with them pulling him about. It's just not in his nature around vulnerable people. Never even a snappy terrier!!
B) If he DID have a muzzle on, wouldn't that show I am a responsible owner, not taking chances in public places
C) The point of a muzzle is so he cannot get anything in his mouth, so why are you STILL saying he might bite you?
D) The "muzzle" could be to stop him picking up stray poo/food items on our walks
E) THIS IS NOT A MUZZLE - IT IS A HEAD COLLAR SO HE IS COMPLETELY UNDER MY CONTROL!!!!

AAAarrgh!!!!! Anybody with any sane advice for me before I shout at some other numpty who thinks my beautiful gentle giant is a man eater?

Ps... I had his annual vet check today and he's only 32kg, but "Very lean and muscular"!!! :P
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

nutttymutts

Re: THIS IS NOT A MUZZLE!!!!!

Post by nutttymutts » 04 Jul 2011, 19:20

Claire you are not alone I have the same with Asha and that is with the training assistance dog coat on. I have gone onto the canny collar which I love better than the others I have used now we (I) am in a chair. I tell people that it is a Doodle rains just like you get for a horse as that what she is training to become. just cant resist being sarcy :lol: :lol: I have been tempted to get a Tshirt printed from ebay

BEWARE
HUMAN BITES
BUT DOG IS SAFE

inkamum

Post by inkamum » 04 Jul 2011, 19:24

:D :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Claire ... i use a figure of eight lead with inks when "in town" .... and get many of the same reactions ......... suggested remedy ..... :

a) laugh at them :lol: :lol: :lol:
b) if person/s dont look too appetising ... say "YES" s/he does bite :D
c0 tell then s/he has FULL use of their mouth when required :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)
d) look with total disgust and say dont you know the difference between a head collar and muzzle :roll:
hari and inka

ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 04 Jul 2011, 19:28

I had that trouble when in Brighton with Dylan when he was about a year old.
The 2 elderly women where really rude and said it was cruel - which we all know isn't. I can't remember how I replied but whatever it was I don't think they believed me.
As it happened Dylan hated it and did eventually learn to get it off by walking backwards so we abandaned it.
The t shirt is a good idea !!!
ImageImage

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 04 Jul 2011, 19:33

claire - I haven't seen one of these, can you post a photo please so I can see what all the fuss is about? Bruno looks so gentle and soft, I can't believe anyone would think he could bite. If I sw him and I genuinely thought it was a muzzle I would assume it was to stop him eating things he shouldn't :lol: i've considered a muzzle for Bella to stop her eating all the discarded takeaways in the field :evil: :evil:
Jean & Bella xxx

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 04 Jul 2011, 21:38

JeanG wrote:claire - I haven't seen one of these, can you post a photo please so I can see what all the fuss is about? Bruno looks so gentle and soft, I can't believe anyone would think he could bite. If I sw him and I genuinely thought it was a muzzle I would assume it was to stop him eating things he shouldn't :lol: i've considered a muzzle for Bella to stop her eating all the discarded takeaways in the field :evil: :evil:
That's the thing - it looks nothing like a muzzle!!!!

ImageImageImage
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 04 Jul 2011, 21:45

Hi Claire Bruce has had a head collar for over 12 months now as I was getting dragged every where and like you said you get full control with the head collar when I went to my vet on a routine appointment he commented how well behaved Bruce was for a doodle and I said he's been easier to control with the new collar he said the head collars are more kinder to the dog there like a horses head collar and your controling the head not putting pressure on the neck and to ignore anyone who made comments on how they look muzzled or cruel after that I felt more confident about my choice of collar and when I walk Bruce past an out of contoll dog it feels good to know I have full control of my dog even my nephew who's 10 can walk Bruce with confidence now so Balls to all the haters
Rant over :lol:

Emma and Bruce
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 04 Jul 2011, 22:05

I don't know much about head collars, but I imagine you can get them in funky colours and patterns, that might make them look less threatening to the uninitiated.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Becky_ck

Post by Becky_ck » 04 Jul 2011, 22:24

I used to use one for Harry, and like you, people would always think it was a muzzle. I did give up using it as he HATED it :shock: But the comments were worrying and a little hurtful-I hated for anybody to think harry would harm anyone/anything.

Clairejen-the colorful idea is a great one :D -not sure I have seen an option though :?
Becky
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image
Image Image

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 04 Jul 2011, 22:33

I ve tried to get a coloured one or a brown one to blend into bruces fur but no luck would be great if anyone knows of any where Image
Emma and Bruce
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 05 Jul 2011, 00:28

That's a Gentle Leader isn't it? We have one just like it for Jack and it's brilliant. :P Cured all his constant hauling tendencies but did add the ferocious rubbing and twisting against our legs for a good year as he tried to get it off. We stuck to our guns and now he just knows he has to put up with it.

I have a Dogmatic for Becky and, of the two, prefer the GL as the Dogmatic has extremely fiddly buckles. I leave it done up and squidge it over her ears, but then Beccles is such a softie I can get away with it.

We got a GL for Lola, my Mum's little Boxer cross Rescue and she HATED it, for all of one hour, then just accepted it and got on with her walk, having leapt like a looney into the air and thrown herself all over the ground. Talk about a tantrum :shock: :oops: :lol: :lol: We also put a normal lead on her collar to ensure she didn't escape if she did get the GL off.

Head collars are brilliant for anywhere you need to have absolute control over your dog and I wouldn't be without one in a crowded place.

Only an idiot would think they are a muzzle so just pity them that they clearly have never known the love of a Doodle.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 05 Jul 2011, 09:12

I have had a few comments, not many but a few, I normally laugh. Funnily enough it's only when he has been wearing his black GL iv not had any comments when he's worn his red Canny collar. So maybe Claire has a point about the colour.
Get the kids some fabric pens and put a colourful design on your GL :D
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 05 Jul 2011, 09:48

we use a gentle leader on the Springer,the effect was instant,from pulling to walking nicely.

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 05 Jul 2011, 10:01

brucey doodle wrote:I ve tried to get a coloured one or a brown one to blend into bruces fur but no luck would be great if anyone knows of any where Image
Emma and Bruce
I use Gencon all-in-ones, and they come in different colours. Molly has a black and silver one and Saffie a brown and cream one. They usually blend in with their hair, but we still get the occasional "why are they muzzled?" - but usually only when they've had a recent haircut :lol:

http://www.gencon-allin1.co.uk/products.html
Ei, Molly and Saffie

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 05 Jul 2011, 13:37

blueboysgirl wrote:
That's the thing - it looks nothing like a muzzle!!!!
I couldn't agree more! it looks NOTHING like a muzzle! It doesn't even go over the mouth! i can understand your frustration. :?

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do as people who are uneducated about dogs are not interested in dogs and they're not going to change or suddenly start reading helpful/informative information. I hope it's at least some relief to let off some steam here and get some sympathy. Sometimes just knowing others are having the same problem makes you feel better.

I think Bruno would look very dapper in a blue or red leader with silver diamonds (not real ones of course :lol: :lol: ) Pink would look lovely with his colouring but a boy has to be VERY confident in his masculinity to wear pink :lol: :lol: Love Jean xx
Jean & Bella xxx