Brothers/Sisters of Milly and Berry [Courtlands]

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
norton1989

Brothers/Sisters of Milly and Berry [Courtlands]

Post by norton1989 » 03 Aug 2011, 19:35

Our 50/50 Henry was born on April 11th 2009 to Milly and [Blue]Berry from Courlands, we think he is getting a little 'tubby' as he weighs 20kg, stands about 17inch to the shoulder.

Are there any of his siblings on the forum that can compare weights. At his last check up in June the vet didn't show any concerns and said he was very healthy.

However some passers by do comment on his rather 'ample' size, I think its because he is vertically challenged with a Labrador body.

Andy and Davina.

Liz!

Re: Brothers/Sisters of Milly and Berry [Courtlands]

Post by Liz! » 03 Aug 2011, 19:51

Hello - I don't know anyone else on here who got a doodle from Courtlands, I've been searching for one myself!

Lola is a full Aussie, not even quite 14 inches high, and she weighs 6 kg. She is not tubby. The amount of food suggested for her from Courtlands as a pup was way too much for her and she still doesn't, even now, eat that much!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Aug 2011, 19:58

I've just recently been to the vets with Teddy for his annual boosters and the vet said you should be able to feel their ribs and spine but not see them and they should have a visible waist, hope that helps. :)
Do you know what he weighed at your last vet visit and has he put on weight since then?
Teddy is nearly 20 inches tall and weighs nearly 16 kilos, but I think it's hard to compare them as they all have such different builds.
I think there was an article fairly recently that said there is a high percentage of obesity in dogs and and what probably looks very lean to most of us is actually a healthy weight for them. :shock: Wish I was as lean as my dog. :oops: :lol:

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 03 Aug 2011, 20:47

Too true! Two of my friends have said they think Lola is too thin, but the vet reckons she is just right.

You can feel her ribs and spine, but you shouldn't be able to feel the spine too much.

I worried after they said that, and tried giving her a little more food, but either she didn't eat it or was sick straight after, so I decided to go back to what she was having.

As she is so slim, though, I give her more food if she does a lot of exercise, and that sees to work. Oh - and les if she is in for a day, lots of people forget to do that!

Usually, the amount of food given on the packet is too much.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

justinwest

Post by justinwest » 04 Aug 2011, 02:49

Liz! wrote:Too true! Two of my friends have said they think Lola is too thin, but the vet reckons she is just right.

You can feel her ribs and spine, but you shouldn't be able to feel the spine too much.
this applies to pretty much every doodle, and most breed of pooch!

but how the hell im a supposed to see or feel anythng past 3 inches of dense doodle fluff and curls ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: im not even sure there is a dog under there sometimes!!!!

i have worried about this with freddy, as he does seem boney but vet says he is fine and he eats like a horse! guess he got a poodley build!!! bit gangley with a thin waist!!
(maybe he should be a catwalk model!!!??)
As an owner you know what a healthy weight is for your dog!!!

And there are WAY TOO MANY fat dogs out there, being loved to death!!
Justin
]Image
Freddy West - as much trouble as his namesake (almost!)

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 04 Aug 2011, 09:46

I know! I shouldn't really ave worried, considering how she races round, under, leaps over and generally out zooms every other dog withing a mile radius, and does 3 times the walk of any other dog on the same route! Often, she doesn't run so much as bound as she is so small she has to leap over grass to see where she's going! She has endless energy when she needs it.

wellington

Post by wellington » 08 Oct 2011, 11:16

Wellington is from Courtlands and Berry is his father, but he 100% Australian. Mother is Star(don't think she is there anymore)

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 08 Oct 2011, 18:14

wellington wrote:Wellington is from Courtlands and Berry is his father, but he 100% Australian. Mother is Star(don't think she is there anymore)

Just wanted to say, what a beautiful photo Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 08 Oct 2011, 20:18

Oooh, he is gorgeous! Lola is a mini, only 14 inches!