Not a Cocker Spaniel

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
casa42

Not a Cocker Spaniel

Post by casa42 » 19 Aug 2011, 19:59

Hello

For the fourth time in two weeks I have been complemented on my lovely chocolate Cocker Spaniel. OK, she has a wavy coat and floppy ears with curls on but she is NOT a Cocker Spaniel - I like Cockers but she is a miniature Labradoodle!!!!!

The worst thing was when I explained to the first person who mistook her identity she then proceeded to rant about "designer dogs" and "mongrels". Lovely lady :(

Cate, Tilly and Coco

Cate and Coco

Ellen.H

Re: Not a Cocker Spaniel

Post by Ellen.H » 19 Aug 2011, 20:08

Coco is beautiful. We have said that Barnie could be mistaken for a spaniel pup, he is a mini too.

I cant believe the response you got, people are so rude!
Ellen & Barney

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 19 Aug 2011, 21:40

You get used to it after a while. :cry: Everbody thinks Lola is a cockerpoo! :shock: If I had a pound for every person who said "she's is only a mongrel you know" and "I cant believe you actually PAID for that mongrel" I would be rich. It makes me soooo mad :evil: :evil:
Alison & Lola x

Norfolk family

Post by Norfolk family » 19 Aug 2011, 21:45

My Miley is a miniature 50/50 and has the floppy ears and straighter coat and she's always mistaken for a spaniel of some kind and the other day a lady said that she looks like her parents Irish water spaniel! With the Australian labradoodle in her then there could be spaniel or a type of water dog but to be honest she looks a lot like her mum who's an F1. There's always someone who has to have an opinion! Lol!
Your labradoodle looks very similar to Miley and they really don't look like a cocker spaniel. I do feel like putting a sign on each of my doodles saying that they are labradoodles because one of my others is always mistaken for a poodle!

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 19 Aug 2011, 22:14

Coco is beautiful!

It is really annoying. Lara gets confused with a cockerpoo at least once a day :twisted:

Especially when they then go on about being mongels!!
Alison & Lara

wellies

Post by wellies » 19 Aug 2011, 22:22

Hi Casa (and welcome to the forum!)
As Coco grows up more and more people will realise she can't be a spaniel because she isn't completely mental! It seems to pass quite a lot of dog owners by, but there are some big advantages in dogs that aren't pedigree. I wouldn't have a pedigree dog myself.
Dave
Leon and Sally: fast moving and heading for the horizon!

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 19 Aug 2011, 22:36

My Bruce looked just like coco as a pup people used to say he looked like a cocker,Bruce is a standard f1 though so as he got bigger it changed to what a lovely red setter when I explained no he's a labradoodle this lovely lady (NOT ) went on to tell me in a very serious manner that I'd been conned and Bruce definitely had red setter in him and I should have gone back to his breeder I smiled politely and made a quick exit don't get me wrong I quite like it when people try to guess my dogs breed but can't stand the know it alls :lol:
Bruce and Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

amychaos

Post by amychaos » 19 Aug 2011, 22:47

Sooshi was mistaken for a lurcher today? :roll:

I have had a pedigree dog before but would not again as she had no end of problems, but i do find myself calling her a "cross" because i can't be bothered to deal with the reactions i get. Soosh sheds like you wouldnt believe with her coat but my son who is very allergic to labradors isnt allergic to her. I know their hypo-allergenic qualities are not guaranteed but they seem to be the most amazing family dogs. I wasnt even sure if she could be officially called a labradoodle because her mum was lab and her dad was F1 labradoodle? I didnt pay as much for her as some do, and thought that was why?

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 19 Aug 2011, 22:57

I'm a bit like that now Amy when someone asks what Bruce is I say he's a lab crossed with a poodle and I get a totally different reaction to when I say labradoodle it's wiered I don't know why it bothers so many people they must need to get out more :lol: :lol:
Bruce and Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

casa42

Post by casa42 » 20 Aug 2011, 10:32

It makes me wonder if they have ever thought how all the KC registered breeds were created. They must all have started with a multitude of cross breeds way back down the line. The only difference is that the Labradoodle is a modern attempt at this.

Coco is getting hairier by the day so hopefully in a few weeks she won't be mistaken for a Cocker Spaniel again.

One question though I believe she is going to be a fairly short hair scruffy labradoodle but she has what can only be described as fluff growing through on her legs - is this normal?

Cate, Tilly and Coco

Cate and Coco

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 20 Aug 2011, 20:42

she is lovely looking :D i shouldnt worry about other peoples silly comments

People often assume Buds is a poodle and say how beautiful he is but then when corrected and told hes a labradoodle they throw in the abuse :shock: :roll: it used to bother me but not anymore, hes gorgeous i know it and he knows it too :wink: :lol:
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

christine/1

Post by christine/1 » 20 Aug 2011, 22:54

Coco is the image of my Betty! She is an 8 month old miniature f1 chocolate. The photos probably dont reflect the similarities but she really has a look of her, ahhh reminds me of when she was a tiny baby pup!

I posted something very similar when I got Betts, some know it alls feel obliged to be rude but nice people just recognise a lovely little dog. I've taken to describing her as a lab cross due to the negativity about "designer doodles".

Betty has been confused for a Spaniel (frequently), a Patterdale (?!) and goodness knows what else. Some people can be quite rude and usually expect Doodles to be curly, suggesting I have been conned because she isnt.

We always wanted a scruffy girl but still dont know exactly how her coat will turn out, she had lots of feathers on her legs at one point but now has none, before she came in season (7 months) she shedded all her lovely scruffy wavy hair and looks like she has been scalped! Her coat literally does change week to week, her incredibly curly tail is now wavey but she's always kept those lovely curly bits down the front of her ears.

Looking forward to her adult coat coming through.

Coco is beautiful (though I am biased towards scruffy chocolates!)

Christine & Betty x

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 21 Aug 2011, 09:05

:lol: Welcome from Bailey and my Coco :D
ImageImageImageImage

john ford

Post by john ford » 21 Aug 2011, 19:54

We went to dog show yesterday and people were askin what sort dexter was and when i told them they said iv seen some labradooles but never one that big .

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 22 Aug 2011, 10:53

amychaos wrote: I wasnt even sure if she could be officially called a labradoodle because her mum was lab and her dad was F1 labradoodle? I didnt pay as much for her as some do, and thought that was why?

Sooshi (great name!) is a F1b (first generation backcross) which is a lab or poodle parent backcrossed to a labradoodle. Rosie is a F1b. So she's definitely a labradoodle! :D

They are all lovely dogs, whatever their coat type, some people are just so misguided/thick/snobbish :evil: . I agree they are expensive, but they are SELECTIVELY bred, not just a mongrel. Mongrels hardly exist anymore because dogs don't roam the streets like they did years ago. And all doodle owners know they are worth every single penny! :D :D :D !
Sue and Rosie