rosie gnawed up my baby's foot :(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ehphotograph

rosie gnawed up my baby's foot :(

Post by ehphotograph » 26 Aug 2011, 18:09

Yesterday I left Rosie tied up outside with 6 kids and our friend's other labradoodle. My daughter who is profoundly disabled and completely unable to defend herself was in her wheelchair wearing socks. I went inside to get something and came back literally no more than 2 mins later and Rosie (10 wks old) was gnawing/chewing the hell out of Gracie's foot. She'd ripped off her socks and was eating her foot like a chew toy. Poor Gracie...it was horrible the way she was helpless. I pushed Rosie off and tended to Grace, scolding Rosie loudly all the while.

After tending to Gracie's foot (which was -like- shredded and skin hanging off). The skin was broken but not enough to bleed. I showed rosie the foot and scolded her and put her in her crate. She was so ashamed of herself she didn't ask to get out even once and wouldn't make eye contact. Today, she has been very submissive and apologetic and like a different dog. Can you please tell me what you think of this situation and the way forward in your own experience/opinion?

Liz!

Re: rosie gnawed up my baby's foot :(

Post by Liz! » 26 Aug 2011, 19:38

Shame is not an emotion a dog can feel. What she felt was your displeasure, so she was scared. Dogs don't look at other dogs they are scared of. Hopefully your displeasure will get through, but I would definitely not leave Gracie alone with her again.

The way to let dogs know biting people is not allowed is to yelp VERY loudly if her teeth catch you. Perhaps you need to do a lot of this sort of training - play with her and if she get mouthy do very exaggerated scream/yelps and turn your back, and stop play.

Anytime she is around Gracie, stroke Gracie very gently and say, gentle, gentle in a soft voice. Do the same if you are doing something soft and gentle to her, like stroking so she gets the idea of what gentle is.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Aug 2011, 20:03

I agree with Liz about the shame - imo Rosie was probably showing appeasement and is stressing about how she should behave around you - as Grace didn't squeak or squeal, Rosie won't have known she was doing anything wrong. I would work on her bite inhibition as normal, and take extra care that she isn't left with Grace without adult supervision.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 26 Aug 2011, 20:23

Speachless.......

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 26 Aug 2011, 20:53

I've got a very close family friend Emily who is 18 and severly disabled and unable to do anything and can't communicate either. They have 2 springer spaniels and they're younger one Marley tries chewing Emily even now at the age of 4 he still does it. Due to Emily's disabilities and highly complex medical needs she has what is called Hypotonic Movement which is totally involuntary and makes her arms move and hands claw quite alot. This seems to excite Marley and he bites at her hands, he also chews her feet which is a huge problem as she has hypersensitive feet and it hurts her alot to even touch her feet let alone have them chewed by the dog, she also ends up with sores on her feet easily and the dog doesn't help at all. They've tried everything with him and nothing seems to work so I'm interested to see what other people suggest in response to your post. Their other springer Milo who's 9 is a lovely boy and loves Emily and constantly sits with her when she's in her wheelcahir, he also likes to be in her room with her when she's in her bed during the day and seems to look after her making sure she's okay so Marley hasn't learnt the behaviour from Milo.

I would definately not leave Gracie with Rosie unsupervised.

Sorry I can't be of any help but I know exactly what this situation is like as I used to be Emily's carer (she needs nursing care now after a bout of phneumonia 2 years ago left her needing 24/7 oxygen) and I used to stay with hem alot and had Emily and the dogs on my own all the time.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

ehphotograph

Post by ehphotograph » 26 Aug 2011, 21:29

she screamed and cried. she just couldnt stop it from happening.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Aug 2011, 22:03

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's foot and hope she makes a quick recovery. :cry: I think this is a prime example of why never to leave children alone with dogs, Rosie was just doing what comes naturally to a young pup, being mouthy, and if your daughter is not able to tell Rosie to stop then that is your job to supervise them.
I am sorry but I think that this is really your fault for leaving them alone together, and Rosie is now sensing that you are cross with her and she is unsure how to behave to make you happy with her.
Perhaps you could put some bitter spray on your daughter's socks to make them smell bad to the dog and I would personally teach her the 'off' command around your daughter, and never leave them alone again. :cry:

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 26 Aug 2011, 22:26

I am so sorry that Gracie has been hurt by Rosie :( but I don't believe it is Rosie's fault... she didn't know that she was hurting her :(

I honestly don't mean to sound harsh, but I worry about a 10week old puppy being tied up? You probably have a good reason, in which case I apologise, but it's perhaps not a good idea to do it too often?
ImageImage

ImageImage

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Aug 2011, 22:28

I still suspect that we are feeding the troll???? :evil:

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 26 Aug 2011, 22:41

Sorry I do not believe this, if I am wrong I apologise but in future I am ignoring these posts

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 26 Aug 2011, 22:43

Sorry to hear what happened to your daughter Hope she is well and can carry on having a good relationship with your little girl

Have I missed something what's Feeding the Troll mean

Emma and Bruce
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

ehphotograph

Post by ehphotograph » 27 Aug 2011, 03:43

@brucey: it means that people here think I don't really have a doodle and that somehow, I have something to gain from posting here. Seems that some people never grown up and stop being bullies which is hurtful and confusing. This is my daughters blog: graceforrett.com. I'm real, my puppy is real and my daughter is well and truly disabled. And now I'm crying :( jerks.

ehphotograph

Post by ehphotograph » 27 Aug 2011, 03:45

And by "tied up" I mean that her lead was secured so I could go inside and change my camera lens.

justinwest

Post by justinwest » 27 Aug 2011, 08:05

why is there still this issue with EHPHOTOGRAPHY here people???

i thought this one was worked out in her introduction!!!!!

sorry if your finding it upsetting!

hopefully everyone will cotton on 'eventually'!!!

having read the entire thread, can only recommend spraying puppy stop chew on her socks!
and personally i dont see anything wrong with a heavy scolding if a pup does wrong! has worked for my Dood!
Justin
]Image
Freddy West - as much trouble as his namesake (almost!)

ehphotograph

Post by ehphotograph » 27 Aug 2011, 08:32

Thanks Justin the spray is a great idea. And I dont suspect that Rosie knew what she was doing but how else will she know if I don't scold her? So that's why I did. But this is my first dog so practical advice is very welcome. I don't know as much as everyone here about dogs so please be patient with me.