eyes

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
john ford

eyes

Post by john ford » 18 Sep 2011, 21:35

Just got back from camping and dexter was playing with hes friend olli a lab ,but later that nite he kept rubbing hes eyes .The next mornin he couldnt hardly open them they were red and weeping they looked very sore hes eyes have gone like this a few times since he was a puppy.I wonderd if it was a sort of aligy from grass but he is always in the grass ,or maybe condutivitos ,or may be dog catched him it is very baffleing it comes and goes he is ok now ,any suggestions.

Bid

Re: eyes

Post by Bid » 18 Sep 2011, 21:52

Poor Dexter - it sounds very uncomfortable! How long does it last?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

john ford

Post by john ford » 18 Sep 2011, 22:00

it went a bit better later that day ,i kept puttin tea bags on ,but it flared up again to day .I wonderd if he had grass seed in but it was both eyes but one was worse,i took him to vet when he was a puppy and he said it was called something that dogs inherit where the eye lid hangs but it was not bad enough for operation ,ithink blood hounds suffer a lot with it ,he as got some drops but wont let me put them in.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Sep 2011, 22:06

I'm told that warming the drops in your hand first makes it less of a shock to them, which might help! I've only ever had to give drops to Poppy, and she lets you do anything to her thankfully!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 18 Sep 2011, 22:26

Poor Dexter :( , hope he gets better soon
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 18 Sep 2011, 22:29

Debbie's Hendrix used to have a droopy bottom eyelid, but I saw him yesterday and it was much improved. He'd also had a lot of hotspots and itching, eventually diagnosed as food allergies and he's been on a very low allergy diet which is made from salmon and potato. They are now starting to add a few other things to find out what has been causing the problems. So it seems the eye thing was part of the whole allergic syndrome.

I don't know if Dexter has any other problems, but it's worth considering whether it might be an allergy. As regards putting drops in, I put them in at the outer edge as they can't see you coming too well there!
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 18 Sep 2011, 22:41

Ask the vet if the medication comes in an ointment form.
Its easier to smear some around the eye as we had a similar problem
with Dylan.
Miserable for poor Dexter - I bet its uncomfortable for him.
ImageImage