...... Anyone watch the one show?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Banana-dog

...... Anyone watch the one show?

Post by Banana-dog » 19 Sep 2011, 20:24

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 6_09_2011/

It starts just after 31 minutes.
I for one am disgusted. The BBC better get ready to compensate all the poor owners who take all this rubbish and resultingly get bitten by their dogs when they start kicking it when it doesn't respond to meaningless commands such as "get away" or "leave".

I've sent in a complaint as well as many of those who've commented on The One Show's facebook status about the "dog trainer". Those of you who also would like to,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms

Maybe we can overthrow such trainers once and for all.
- Morgane & Eska

"Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole."
... Only joking, Eska's my whole life.

Bid

Re: ...... Anyone watch the one show?

Post by Bid » 19 Sep 2011, 20:37

I've complained too. There are loads of comments on their FB page, and lots of forums are up in arms. I hope they don't have him back! That poor little terrier :(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 19 Sep 2011, 21:18

I've complained. Thought this sort of thing went out with Barbara Woodhouse.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

kizzie whizz

Post by kizzie whizz » 20 Sep 2011, 10:50

I sent off a complaint too. Jordan is a very attractive young man and will no doubt have his followers, but he shouldn't be allowed near a dog until he gets some training.
Wendy, Kizzie Whizz and Murphy
ImageImage

john ford

Post by john ford » 20 Sep 2011, 12:04

I watched and dont think too bad ,sometimes dogs can be very aggresive and they need a firm hand ,i had trouble with my other dog and thats cause i was to soft ,i dont mean cruelty but he did get him to be a nice well behaved dog at end which is best for family.its better to be firm then have a child bitten.

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 20 Sep 2011, 12:28

What he's just done is the way to get a child bitten.

The dog's aggression has been suppressed - it was fearful that someone was going to take its food. Fear is the main reason dogs bite.

The way to stop that fear is to drop treats in the bowl so that the approach of a human to the bowl is seen as a good thing. Not to put a foot in its mouth so that the approach of a human is seen as a BAD thing - but also, that it can't complain. Now that dog cannot 'warn' that it is scared. Soon, one day, it may just bite instead of giving a warning...

It wasn't really biting his foot, if it had been its teeth would have been through the shoe, it was warning. Now, it is a much more dangerous dog.

This sort of training has been shown to be ineffective in the long run, and very dangerous if this was a big dog.

I was quite interested in the body language of the other guests on the sofa, they clearly didn't agree with the methods!

This sort of training is also against DEFRA guidleines.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Sep 2011, 13:52

I'd like to see him try that method with a guarding GSD or Rottie!

I don't agree that the terrier is now a nice well behaved dog - imo he is now a scared time bomb who is going to explode at some point, and that isn't going to be good for his family!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 20 Sep 2011, 13:55

I didn't mention this on here, but wondered when it would come up. There are 100's of trainers who have contacted the BBC about it, and apparently a Press Release is due at 15.00 hrs today.

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 20 Sep 2011, 14:15

Interestingly, I've just been and looked at the Facebook page- earlier there were hundreds of outraged comments and some saying, where have all the comments gone? I wondered what they meant as there were loads of comments.

Well- now they have ALL gone! The Facebook wall is cleared back to the 16th September, before the show was on!

Someone does not like the bad publicity.

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 20 Sep 2011, 14:24

I just hope the BBC has deep pockets - to pay compensation for all the people bitten by their dogs after following the idiot 'trainer's advice' on the One Show.

Zillions of people have inundated the BBC complaints line with messages. It's disgraceful. :evil: That sort of training went out with the ark and Barbara Woodhouse is dead. The only fool around who still believes in 'Dominance Theory' is Cesar Milan and he is accused to having resorted to all sorts of nasty tricks out of camera shot in order to terrify dogs into 'submission' or rather, making them an explosion of rage waiting to happen.

I'm all for being firm with dogs and being in control but through positive reinforcement, not making them afraid of me.

If they dare to continue this 'Fix Your Dog' section of the One Show we should all write in daily and see how long it lasts. :twisted:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 20 Sep 2011, 15:45

The most frustrating thing is, the BBC know other methods exist, they even did a pilot type thing with Gwen Bailey, but decided she wasn't 'main stream TV'. you'd have thought after the pounding they got from the APDT over Dog Borstal they'd have checked somebody out before showing them on Primetime..

john ford

Post by john ford » 20 Sep 2011, 16:42

I know nervous dogs can be dangerous but my little yorkie wasnt fritend of me we had him from puppy and he was well looked after even spoilt at times but i wouldnt dare take a bone of him or chewing stick he ruled house ,maybe i brought him up wrong i dont now but some dogs can be born nasty and no traing can help .My auntie had a jack russel from rescue and it was fine for 2years and then they got another dog ,then he changed into sicotic dog pinning her on the bed nt lettin anyone out door he even bit my uncle when trying to move him she had a behaviourist in to him but no luck the vet advice to have put to sleep cause he said he was a scitsophenic ,but the thing is she didnt know what he went through in past .but she couldnt help him in end he was dangerous,im no expert and dont know whats best way but i do know some dogs are nasty.

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 20 Sep 2011, 17:03

Complete and utter tosh :shock: No dogs 'are born nasty' :evil:

They might inherit certain traits, such as being strong willed, having a herding nature etc but no puppy, or child for that matter, is born nasty.

It is their training and environment that may be unsuitable for that particular dog. So many are treated with cruelty, stupidity or just not bothered with, an the same goes for the feral kids in Britain today.

You only have to look at the poor Staffie 'status dogs' who get bred and bought by teenage kids, and then end up in rescue, to realise that those pups didn't have a bad bone in their bodies, they were so tormented and badly 'trained' to be aggressive that they can be turned into problem dogs. Many rehabilitate into lovely, loyal family dogs, thankfully.

It's all about having the right positive training from an early age, which is why puppy classes are so essential to ensure that not the dogs but the owners know what they are doing.

Your Aunt's JR 'was fine for 2 years' which proves it wasn't 'born nasty'. It looks like it became possessive and guarding when another dog was introduced, which probably demonstrates that this was not done carefully or competently. Sadly, from what your post indicates, that poor dog lost its life because of lack of thought and training.

With bucket loads of time, and vast amounts of gentle patience, I believe there are truly an extremely few dogs that can't be rehabilitated into the right home for them. And getting the right home is essential to suit the dog's inherited nature. I would not be the right home for a collie because I cannot provide the work ethic to satisfy their endless drive, or for a strong Akita bear of a dog either.

The trouble is that people today want quick fix solutions, as this idiot on the One Show demonstrated. I hope the next dog he tries it on is a massive one who shows him exactly why sticking your foot in a dog's mouth is a stupid idea.

On another forum someone's 82 year old Grandad thought this would be the way to train their dog because 'he saw it on the One Show'. Fortunately he wasn't bitten but it demonstrates exactly how irresponsible the BBC were at showing an inexperienced and unqualified 'trainer' just because he is good TV eye candy and the results make for quick fix sensational TV.

Joe Inglis, the BBC Vet, is furious and didn't know they were going to do anything like this and has asked for an explanation.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Sep 2011, 17:07

The comments are stil on the FB page, but you have to scroll down a bit to find them.

The BBC's press release is beyond belief!

"We appreciate that many dog lovers have strong opinions on the subject of dog training, however the family with the problem dog Roxy are extremely happy with the outcome. Jordan Shelley, who runs a dog treatment centre in London, will display other techniques
in future films.
Jordan himself will also be putting out a line talking about his approach and why he employed the technique in the programme, it may be an hour or so and I'll call you with that.
I will also call you now to give you a bit of background
Thanks
Publicist
BBC Comedy and Entertainment"

They've completely ignored the fact that it is the dog training proffessionals who have objected, not just dog lovers, and still failed to mention any qualifications Jordan Shelley might have, if he has any!

(It's not me he's going to call - I copied it frpom here http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/ )
Last edited by Bid on 20 Sep 2011, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

kizzie whizz

Post by kizzie whizz » 20 Sep 2011, 17:07

there are some nasty dogs, it may be that there will be a dog who needs firm handling. But the BBC put this out on a popular prime time tv show. How many people watched this show and will now copy this method of 'training'. That is my complaint, that they are encouraging people to abuse their dogs.
Wendy, Kizzie Whizz and Murphy
ImageImage