Fireworks, how are your animals coping?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
The Turners

Fireworks, how are your animals coping?

Post by The Turners » 26 Oct 2011, 21:50

So it’s that time of year again, and the fireworks have started.

Our neighbours down the road had a party tonight, lots of fireworks. We were worried how Wurly would cope. (Spot the cat is used to it all by now). When the first ones went off she ran to hubby and sat beside him, he gave her a pat on the head, and she was fine :D . We’ve been out in the garden watching the display ,even though I don’t like back garden fireworks it was a stunning display. Wurly even had a wee & poo whilst the big bangs were going off. So we are delighted she seems to be fine. It’s always a worry how they will cope. :roll:

So how are yours coping,or not coping with the firework season?
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

GUNNER

Re: Fireworks, how are your animals coping?

Post by GUNNER » 26 Oct 2011, 21:57

Yep, huge Diwali celebrations around here tonight and we find they are worse than Guy Fawkes night, but thankfully none of our dogs careImage
Really feel for those poor dogs and cats that are petrified by it all :(

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 26 Oct 2011, 22:27

Ditto Netty - ours aren't bothered by them either.

We do live out in the sticks though, so don't get any Diwali fireworks and only a few around bonfire night - very lucky really.

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 26 Oct 2011, 22:37

Our last dog was terrified by them, and a nervous wreck for months afterwards. Leon doesn't turn a hair, we don't know about Sally yet but I expect her to be OK.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Leah

Post by Leah » 26 Oct 2011, 22:40

Glad Wurly unruffled by the fireworks. Monty isn't at all bothered either, last year he joined us in the garden (by choice) and sat watching the sky and wagging his tail. I suppose that's what comes of living with 4 noisy kids!

Leah

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Oct 2011, 09:04

Clever girl Wurly!

We have the local shoots, and an army camp doing night firing within earshot, so sometimes it sounds like we are in a war zone at night. It has meant though that the dogs are literally bomb proof!

At least this year Nov 5th falls on a weekend so there is less excuse to make it all last weeks instead of one night :evil:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 27 Oct 2011, 09:05

Jasper isn't bothered at all. There were some big bangs last night and Darcey rushed into the garden to bark at them, very indignant that they should dare to bang near her garden! But Freddie really doesn't like them. He's not too bad but seems to be getting worse, he wasn't bothered at all as a pup but now his tail goes down and he wants to cuddle, and trembles a bit if they go on for long. I was thinking of getting him a thundershirt. Do they help?

becky.q

Post by becky.q » 27 Oct 2011, 09:59

Daisy hates them. As soon as she hears a bang she starts going under the table and starts to shake. I have tried herbal drops and DAP collars, but they don't seem to work. I have also previously tried some medication from the vets, however this just made her sleep for 3 days.

The funny thing is that if we are outside when a firework goes off she is fine

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 27 Oct 2011, 10:09

So far we have had hardly any! My last dog was terribly upset by them and would not go out for ages afterwards. Eventually I got a DAP diffuser and it seemed to calm her a bit but if she heard any when we were out she just headed for home, so we had to make sure she was always on the lead at this time of year and limited her walks to daylight.

I'm hoping Lottie will be ok. She is so laid back about everything else I'll be surprised if they upset her, but you never know! Will keep you posted!

Fiona and Lottie

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 27 Oct 2011, 10:27

So far so good with mine.
Dixie did wake up when there were a few 'wooshies' she looked around and then went back to sleep.
Not going to take it for granted that they'll be OK so will stay in Sat and Sun and not leave them.
Be glad when over
Wish you couldn't buy them and only see them at organised events.
ImageImage

Aideypie

Post by Aideypie » 27 Oct 2011, 10:53

Fozzy is terrified, we were out for his walk last night when a load went off in a street we were passing and he went loopy, twisting and turning on lead and wanting to bolt :( BUt we managed to calm him down only for him to do it again when a tiny little pup (shitzu) who is same age and he knows really well yapped at him, then he would not come back on the field, so we got him (eventually) back on lead and took a shortcut home, he went straight to hubby when we got in and wimpered!! :( then spent rest of night virtually attached to one or other of us, if we moved he moved, so that was only the 1st time dreading the rest of the run up to the actual night now!! :cry:

J x

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 27 Oct 2011, 12:05

Briar had a bad experience when we walked past a house in our neighborhood a little while ago where they let 4 massive fireworks off. She went mad barking, crying pulling etc and since then has been very nervous of any loud noises.

Went out for a short walk round the block last night. lasted 10 minutes. Fireworks in the distance set her off and had to take her home again :(

I hate fireworks personally even more so now. Should be kept to official displays only imo

We don't cuddle her or do anything to reassure as that will make it worse. Dreading the next few days tbh. Can't even get her in the garden at night
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

SandyCamm

Post by SandyCamm » 27 Oct 2011, 14:46

Our Lex isn't bothered by them. He was actually watching the firework display through the window last night. He's only 2, his first Guy Faulkes night we watched them from bed so he didn't see us looking out of the window and think it was something to be worried about. We turned the tv up louder but mostly we played with him with his toys to distract him.
ImageImageImageImage

rebecca0969

Post by rebecca0969 » 27 Oct 2011, 15:17

So far so good for us as we've had no fireworks go off around our house this year. Last year Noodles watched our (very tame) garden display through the patio door.

I have been told in the past that homeopathic remedies are good, but have not had to try them. ie http://fionasfastdogs.com/care/behaviour/fireworks.php
Rebecca and Noodles x

stout

Post by stout » 27 Oct 2011, 17:37

Last year Stout didn't bat an eyelid. This year though, he has been scared while out for a wee and a firework went off. There were some last night while he was in the house and he was fine so fingers crossed. I have always thought fireworks were over rated, but that might just be me being a grump bag!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle