Matty Fur

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
stout

Matty Fur

Post by stout » 07 Nov 2011, 14:52

Stout is quite poodley with fine curly fleece fur. We thought it would be nice to let him be a bit shaggy for winter to help keep him warmer, he has been clipped for the last year. He had a little trim mid October. In the last couple of weeks him fur has been really matty (rolling around in the heather when he met his bro didnt help :roll: !). You can spend hours brushing (he has a les pooches brush and dematter) him and the next morning it looks like you didnt bother. He was similar when he lost his puppy coat, so we were wondering if it was because he was moulting ready for winter. My question is if we perserve with the dematting/brushing until he has stopped moulting or taking him to the groomers for a clip? He seems to loose fur a bit but not loads, so his old fur gets stuck with the new stuff. Thanks as always :D
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Kirstie & Murphy

Re: Matty Fur

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 07 Nov 2011, 15:16

Murphy is the same :( I've left him longer this time and I'm paying the price with the daily brushing, drying him after walks and trying to keep on top of the matts. The last couple of times they have thinned out under the armpit area and under his ears which has made those areas easier. The groomers did tell me about another dog that was the same as Murphy with the matts and said it stopped matting at 18 months-2yrs so I'm hoping that's what will happen :D He's booked in again early Dec, I might end up having him cut shorter and buying him a fluffy coat- I'm not looking forward to all the snowballs in his feet and beard :roll:
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

stout

Post by stout » 07 Nov 2011, 15:47

I can help with the feet snowballs :D . Last year we put petroleum jelly on Stouts feet to stop the snow sticking and him getting saw feet, which really helped (it was a tip on here I believe), I had a big pot of it left after my back op :roll: . I found a fleecy coat in a sale last year, so if the matts get too much, he will be wearing that instead!

I think Murphys fur is quite similar to stouts (from what I remember of the doodle meet!)
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

Leah

Post by Leah » 07 Nov 2011, 16:08

Monty has exactly the same coat-type as Stout and I keep him pretty short as I don't have the time (or patience!) to brush him as often as he needs if his coat is long.
Looks-wise I do prefer him shaggy, and people always comment on how lovely he looks but it's so much easier to keep it short, especially in the wet weather as he takes so long to dry after a walk.
I did mention keeping his fur longer for warmth to the groomers and they laughed at me and said Labs and Poodles are tough working dogs bred to be outside in all weathers, it's just us humans who think they need a warm coat.
To be honest I did have him cut really short when it snowed last year, to avoid snowball legs melting all over the house and he was absolutely fine.

Leah

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 07 Nov 2011, 16:43

I have Lola cut as short as possible in the winter - she still looks delicious, people still stop us all the time and ask what she is and where they can get one, and she doesn't have to suffer her delicate skin being pulled! Armpits are sore...

She IS much better than when she started losing her coat as a pup, but she still starts to get matts under arms and leg pits and where the leg rubs her body, round her neck, under ears and at the back, as her coat gets longer. It does take ages to get them out carefully - and ages to get her clean in the shower as well when it's long!

Lola does get cold. She is very slim and thin-skinned, and her fur is not that thick anyway - she shivers if we go out early anywhere, even in the summer! But she does have a few fleeces and they keep her warm

I don't think you can compare every labradoodle to a labs or poodles - they have a mutated coat which has elements of both. Sometimes you get a heavy labradoodle with lots of weight and probably they will keep warm. Similarly you might get a very poodle 'wool' coated labradoodle with the thick, insulating properties of a poodle's coat.

But Lola's is a mix - fine, silky, certainly not woolly with the ability to trap air ,and she doesn't have any bulk. I think lots of labradoodles are like this - BUT you can get them a coat!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

stout

Post by stout » 07 Nov 2011, 17:03

Stout doesnt seem to get cold, even when he is soaking wet (which he would be all the time if he could get his way!), the fur nearest his skin seems to dry really quickly, even if the rest takes an age!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 07 Nov 2011, 17:06

stout wrote:I can help with the feet snowballs :D . Last year we put petroleum jelly on Stouts feet to stop the snow sticking and him getting saw feet, which really helped
Hi this doesn’t apply to Wurly, being as she’s a scruffy dood :D , but a great tip for my parents King Charles spaniels, they get cobbled by snow on their feet and then we have such trouble getting it off. Thanks :wink:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 07 Nov 2011, 17:08

stout wrote:I can help with the feet snowballs :D . Last year we put petroleum jelly on Stouts feet to stop the snow sticking and him getting saw feet, which really helped (it was a tip on here I believe), I had a big pot of it left after my back op :roll: . I found a fleecy coat in a sale last year, so if the matts get too much, he will be wearing that instead!

I think Murphys fur is quite similar to stouts (from what I remember of the doodle meet!)
I'll remember that one :D, Do you think it'll work on his face and body too?

Did you see Murphy at the trust fundraiser? I looked for stout but didn't see him :(
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

stout

Post by stout » 07 Nov 2011, 17:29

Oops just noticed my spelling of 'saw' :roll: . I guess it would work elsewhere, Stouts nose and beard were covered last year! He still did get lumps of snow, but they came of quickly/easily, it seemed to stop the ice between his pads.

Yes we did briefly see Murphy at one of the stalls I think, will have to keep our eyes peeled next year :D
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

allyjayne

Post by allyjayne » 07 Nov 2011, 19:24

if its just starting to mat and is not to bad then book him in for a bath to get rid of any loose coat.
I'm a groomer and its the hardest coat to manage you could get armpits behind ears and a good clean under the belly that might help you keep it longer.
I have about 1 1/2 inches on his body and about 3 or 4 on his legs.
I LOVE it full but hes a disgusting baggage really and thats as long as I dare leave it.
Oh baby socks size 0 slit along the toes and use as leg protectors on the legs stops the snowballs in the bottom of the legs I get 3 pairs at poundland so I have a couple of spares for when he comes back with only 3 on!
Hope that helps
Alison

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 07 Nov 2011, 23:20

Tilly's wavy/scruffy so doesn't matt but tangles. I've taken to Furminating her every week or 2 to reduce the moulting and if it does get really cold she can wear her coat. As long as she's comfy - that's all that matters to me.

Betsy on the other hand is a nightmare being a Bichon. I do Furminate the matts out even though it says not to :roll: and it works :) She has a coat too :)
The Turners wrote:Hi this doesn’t apply to Wurly, being as she’s a scruffy dood :D , but a great tip for my parents King Charles spaniels, they get cobbled by snow on their feet and then we have such trouble getting it off. Thanks :wink:
Although I think Tilly's a lot shaggier/curlier than Wurly - she still got them!!
Image Image Image

Norfolk family

Post by Norfolk family » 08 Nov 2011, 10:06

Glad I'm not the only one with a doodle who has a problem of matting and the dilemma of whether to have them shaved/cut short!

Candy is an Australian doodle and our groomer said that to keep the matts out we would need to brush her constantly all day long! She's going to the groomer this Saturday and I think she'll be shaved right down because I've had an operation and can't brush her properly and her coat's quite bad after only 2 weeks! I won't be able to brush her properly for about another 2 months so think that having her shaved is the best thing to do for Candy.

Her coat is a lovely length at the moment and I'm trying not to think about how she's going to look! Hope you get Stout sorted out xxx
One labradoodle is never enough so I have 4!

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 09 Nov 2011, 09:16

I have to say I would get him clipped myself. Having matts is not only a pain for you to deal with, but painful for the dog too.

I clip my 2 myself now but when I was taking Murray to the groomers she always said that you should always keep dogs clipped in the winter. Long wet fur takes an age to dry, not to mention all the extra mud that attaches itself to them. :roll: Basically its more practical for us and more comfortable for the dog.

stout

Post by stout » 09 Nov 2011, 12:54

Ok thats it, I give up, he is booked in for a haircut :roll:, We brushed him yesterday, this morning he has a big matt on his head :evil:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

whirlwindmum

Post by whirlwindmum » 09 Nov 2011, 16:43

The Turners wrote:
stout wrote:I can help with the feet snowballs :D . Last year we put petroleum jelly on Stouts feet to stop the snow sticking and him getting saw feet, which really helped
Hi this doesn’t apply to Wurly, being as she’s a scruffy dood :D , but a great tip for my parents King Charles spaniels, they get cobbled by snow on their feet and then we have such trouble getting it off. Thanks :wink:
Don't let that fool you, Alfie is a a scurry dood and the hair seemed to sprout out between his pads last winter :shock: we didn't realise until he started limping in the snow, it also happened on the beach he got a huge matt of sand and hair that we managed to snip out. We now trim the hair between his pads regular :P
i]Treena & Alfie[/i]