Why did he behave?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
allyjayne

Why did he behave?

Post by allyjayne » 22 Nov 2011, 22:17

I had a behavourist out to Herbie today as he still sometimes growls at other dogs its been going on too long now.
Well she came with another lady who had a LOVELY spaniel with her she took Herbies history and then the other dog was gradually brought closer and closer.
Herbie was totally and I mean totally not bothered so we went for a walk still no reaction and then the other dog came into the house.
Well Herbie changed completly......
He just wanted to hump the poor dog :oops: :oops:
Not one growl just lots and lots of love going on.
He hasn't had such a positive reaction for months.
We're trying again on Sunday with a different dog so fingers crossed he misbehaves :lol: :lol:
He can managed to show me up any other time but not today.
Alison

The Turners

Re: Why did he behave?

Post by The Turners » 22 Nov 2011, 22:25

:lol: :lol: Sorry for laughing, but Herbie lovin fest was funny :lol: . I do hope he misbehaves next time :D (feels weird writing that) Good luck :wink:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

allyjayne

Post by allyjayne » 22 Nov 2011, 23:02

I know its so strange appologising for him behaving
It hasn't happened before :lol: :lol:
I just want my pain in the bum back tearing off to visit everyone instead of hiding behind my legs :oops:
Maybe he wants to make cavoodles? shame they're both males :P
Alison

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 22 Nov 2011, 23:42

oh how funny ! its just typical though ey ! :lol:
Dawn & Luna x

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 22 Nov 2011, 23:52

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry but this really made me chuckle, as for wanting him to misbehave maybe give skittles for dogs (Bakers the one with all the added colours and thier teats ) that would surely do it Image

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 23 Nov 2011, 10:37

Have you liked everyone you ever met? Aren't dogs allowed to tell another dog to back off anymore?

And if your behaviourist thinks humping is an affectionate behaviour - do yourself a favour and get another behaviourist

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Nov 2011, 11:25

Barneyboy wrote: And if your behaviourist thinks humping is an affectionate behaviour - do yourself a favour and get another behaviourist
I have to agree with that!

As for why did he behave - have you read Turid Rugass in her book about calming signals? It is a fascinating insight into the way dogs can communicate, and I expect that the spaniel is one experienced in giving calming signals to rumbunctious dogs!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 23 Nov 2011, 12:59

It's typical isn't it.
Florrie was the same when her behaviourists came out to assess her. She has high levels of anxiety and gets very stressed (hopefully her thyroid medication will help sort this now) but when we had her behaviourists out, she approached them (something she would NEVER normally do), was good as gold on her walk (she's usually terrified) and just generally showed us up!

They had to come out again to assess her properly, the second time they saw the REAL Florrie and were then able to put a behaviour modification programme in place.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 23 Nov 2011, 14:22

Why did he behave?....... Because he's a dood of course! :lol: They are the most contrary, frustrating and lovable dogs of all! :D
Jean & Bella xxx

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 23 Nov 2011, 14:27

I wouldn't overly worry about Herbie's behaviour.

I sometimes wish Ted was a bit more vocal especially with dogs that are obviously annoying him. He gets bullied by a few dogs, especially a lab who always humps him. Obviously I wouldn't encourage aggression but growling is a way of a dog expressing their intentions and most dogs can read this and act accordingly.

Maisie our older dog is not aggressive but she will growl if a dog annoys her. It stops her getting pestered all the time :lol:

I agree with Bid that the spaniel was probably giving off calming signals. Ted is very good at appeasing other dogs and has made friends with quite a few normally aggressive dogs. I find that problems occur when you meet dogs with absolutely no manners, I don't think you can expect a dog to be accepting of a dog that runs up to them and jumps all over them. Some dogs will take it but I think they are more the minority.

allyjayne

Post by allyjayne » 23 Nov 2011, 17:52

I'm sorry you feel I'm not understanding Herbie Barneyboy I have post sereval times before about Herbie been attacked .
I was trying to see light in a dark situtation he is very fearful around other dogs now he was the one in the pop up tent at the doodle show where he hid most of the time.
He used to love the company of other dogs he now does not however after meeting sereval he appears to get more confident and plays.
If it was only a bit of handbags with the occasional dog I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on a behavourist.
I'm sorry if this appears rude but I am upset
Alison

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 23 Nov 2011, 20:36

Maybe if you'd explained a little more in your first post, you wouldn't be upset now. We don't all have the time to 'stalk' other posters to read each and every previous post.

However, I still stand by the idea that a dog should be allowed to growl if it is uncomfortable, and the owner can then take charge of the situation - either asking the owner of the other dog to remove theirs, or by removing their own dog (or both). A dog who is taught not to growl is a liability (I know, I've owned one, who was taught to skip growling or any other warnings and go straight for the snap). By allowing him to practise other unwanted behaviours (such as humping) your behaviourist is not exactly helping him either.

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 23 Nov 2011, 21:04

Im havin same problem ,dexter is golden most of the time then he goes of on one ,just latley its a young puppy just started to come over field maybe they dont like seeing strange dogs on there turf.this man as a little terrier and he is freindley and even he went for the puppy he was a long legged bull terrier dont now if that makes a diffference.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 24 Nov 2011, 15:00

Gosh :shock:

I do know how you feel Alison as Ted is very nervy of certain dogs, especially those he has never met before. He has been attacked by a number of small dogs - so usually gives anything shorter than 10inches a wide berth until he slowly gets to know them. He doesn't growl, but like I said - sometimes I wish he would to stop him getting bullied.

He actually gets picked on by a border terrier whom is fine with every other dog but Ted. If this dog appears Ted stays by my side and stops playing with his other dog friends. I've seem this dog snap at other dogs and been told off back and the problem was sorted - Ted however it a bit to wary and underconfident to do this.

I'm really sorry about the way some people have replied to this post :cry:

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Nov 2011, 15:21

I get what Barneyboy means - I think this link explains it fully, and helps to see what dogs like Herbie who react to other dogs may be feeling. Plus it's a reminder to people like me who have a big bouncy hooligan, that it is my responsibility to make sure he doesn't upset dogs who are just not comfortable with bounciness on his scale! :oops: :oops:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/content/view/42/97/
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron