best food for allergys

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
bigpaws

best food for allergys

Post by bigpaws » 28 Nov 2011, 10:07

my dog has allergies grass, dust everything you can think of :( food does help! normaly stick to chicken or fish must be hyper-allergenic! just been on hills prescrition diet RD weight loss he loved it great for his stomach stopped him begging (first time ever) gave him bad ears so waxy got infections, he lost 4kg. just been on James well beloved given him itchy skin and he stinks never smelt anything like it :? but ears better. Tempted to go back to hills prescription diet but ZD for allergys any one tried it? sorry for ramberling :oops:

Bid

Re: best food for allergys

Post by Bid » 28 Nov 2011, 11:00

Poor dog :(

When Daisy's ears wouldn't clear up, we sent a saliva sample to Hemopet to find out just what foods she was reacting to. As I feed her raw it is easier to avoid them though - we are having to steer clear of grains, chicken, turkey and egg. (We are not sure about the turkey - that is just a precaution).

Daisy's sister is allergic to a lot of plants - 22 out of 26 in the tests. She is in the process of having immunotherapy - we won't know until next spring how effective it is though.

There are so many allergic doodles!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Gem

Post by Gem » 28 Nov 2011, 14:12

Zooey doesn't have any environmental allergies, her tests were all clear - but she does have an extremely sensitive digestive system and is allergic to the proteins in every meat source we've tried so far! She is fed on the Hills ZD hypoallergenic food, and although nutritionally when I look at the break down it isn't great, it's the only food she doesn't suffer a reaction to. She tried other brands of hypoallergenic food, including royal canin, but she always reacted to something.

I think it's a case of trial and error to work out what is best for your dog, but (before Zooey got sick, a separate issue) ZD was brilliant for Zooey - no more itching, problem ears, eyes, breathing, and no digestive issues!

Good luck with finding a diet that suits and hang in there, it definitely pays off if you can stay strict and not let them eat anything else, despite their pleading eyes for treats!

There are a few of us with doods with allergies and I think we all have our own solutions, it really does depend on the individual dog - I'm sure lots more advice will come your way!
Gemma and Zooey

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 28 Nov 2011, 17:03

Debbie feeds Hendrix on Wafcol salmon and potato http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/wafcol-supe ... d-12kg.asp, he used to have itching and skin trouble but is fine on this.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

stout

Post by stout » 28 Nov 2011, 17:47

Stout, by comparison, has a fairly mild allergy. Grains give him an upset stomach so we feed him raw food and avoid kibbles and treats with grains. Thankfully he seems fine with most meats, although beef and liver are a bit too rich for him.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

1877debbie

Post by 1877debbie » 28 Nov 2011, 18:52

As Claire says we feed Hendrix on Wafcol. We're not sure what food he is allergic too but this seems to have worked wonders and for treats the vet has said home made oven cooked potato wedges or salmon which he loves :D
Debbie & Hendrix

bigpaws

Post by bigpaws » 01 Dec 2011, 19:34

Thanks everyone a bit to think never thought feeding a dog would be so complicated. Sometimes it makes you wounder if crossing breeds causes these problems

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 Dec 2011, 19:41

My lab had far worse allergies than Daisy has! I think they are more cOmmon in general these days - the chemicals in their environment/food/vaccinations all play a part imo!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron