Wes is going to a home boarder tomorrow

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Nimitor

Wes is going to a home boarder tomorrow

Post by Nimitor » 07 Dec 2011, 22:16

Hi all, Wesley is going to a "dog lodge" tomorrow and I am so worried.We checked out local kennels and knew they weren't right for him, visited 4 home lodgers and picked the one we thought he would be happy in....but now I am really nervous.We are going away( family funeral) and I know we have done our best to find a safe home for him but I feel so guilty, he is just a baby really..he has his birthday the day after we get back! Hubby wanted to come home the day of his birthday but that was too much for me so we are driving through the night :)Has anyone else used home lodgers...and was it ok ?

Pollydoodle

Re: Wes is going to a home boarder tomorrow

Post by Pollydoodle » 07 Dec 2011, 22:37

I haven't .... I know it is awful to leave them though. Sure he will be ok.
What I do for all the pups I look after and my girl is write out a page or more :oops: :oops: of eg
I feed her 100g at x in morn and y in evening.
She likes ... and doesn't like....
She usually likes to go for a wee at around etc
She doesn't like .... or may react to ....
She understands sit and "wait" rather than stay and so on

I find this 'calming' for me and all the people that have received it have (humoured me :lol: ) and said they found it useful to refer back to.

Travel safely and hope the funeral goes well, as well as these things can.

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 07 Dec 2011, 22:49

Umm I have written out 2 A4 sheets of likes and dislikes lol...I never worried like this over my children haha..but they did stay with grandparents and he is going to strangers :(

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 07 Dec 2011, 23:29

Hi, Be reassured, my next door neighbour is a dog walker and boarder and the dogs are all happy to be with her and want to come back. Lottie goes to her while we are on holiday for walks and loves with my neighbour. I think people who do this really love dogs and do tend to spoil them. So don't worry I'm sure it will be fine!

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 07 Dec 2011, 23:34

We've only ever left ours with dog boarders (OH won't even consider kennels) and they've always had a whale of a time.

It sounds like you've done your homework and as it sounds like a short stay I really wouldn't worry - even if Wes misses you, you'll be back before he knows it !!

My bet is he'll have a great time !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 08 Dec 2011, 00:30

I've left my 2 with a local home boarder on a few occasions and only for a day or 2 at a time. The first time i worried constantly and must have called the boarder 3 times a day to check... :lol: :lol: She even text me photos showing happy dogs on lovely muddy walks.
It does get easier especially after you pick your boy up for the first time and you see how happy he is and all the new friends he's made.
My own children tell me i worry about the dogs far more than I did about them when they were small :roll: They may have a point..!
Once you have trust in the home boarder it's a marvellous safety net to have... When Marmite is in 'full' hussy stage of her season I send Fudge off for the day to the boarder for some peace.. :lol: :lol: If we want to go out for the day I know I can book the dogs in with her and not worry or have to rush back within 4 hours.
Trust you instincts, you've done some great research.
Sorry to hear your first trip away alone is a family funeral.

rebecca0969

Post by rebecca0969 » 08 Dec 2011, 11:18

My friend is a home boarder and I've never seen an unhappy dog with her. In fact my mum and dad's dog recently stayed with her (after I refused) and she came back better for it. I can only vouch for what I see, but she loves dogs, is very good at understanding them, and pampers to their every need.

Don't fret, I'm sure Wes will be fine 8)
Rebecca and Noodles x

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Dec 2011, 13:59

Mine stayed with a home boarder once when our dog sitter wasn;t available, and they too loved it there! I'm sure Wes will be fine, but he may sulk for a while even though he has had a good time - Daisy did that, just so I knew she wasn't pleased with me, and even though I could see her galloping about playing as I drove up :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

alfsmum

Post by alfsmum » 11 Dec 2011, 20:19

I too, was so worried leaving Alfie with a home boarder but he was so interested in the other dogs I don't think he missed us at all. The owner would text me night and morning and when he came home he slept and ate us out of hous and home

Alf's Mum