Breeders reselling pups

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
iannai

Breeders reselling pups

Post by iannai » 15 Jan 2012, 15:18

Hi

I've seen some ads for pups returned to the breeder. My question is do breeders return the purchase price of a pup if for what ever reason the new owner returns the pup or does the breeder keep that and the resale price?

Just curious.

Bid

Re: Breeders reselling pups

Post by Bid » 15 Jan 2012, 17:22

I think it would depend on the reason for returning the puppy. :? If the puppy is perfectly healthy then I would have thought the breeder would be within her rights to keep any deposit that was paid, to cover re-advertising, feeding the puppy and so on, but that's just my opinion.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Lola

Post by Lola » 15 Jan 2012, 17:45

I suppose it would depend on the age, how long it took to rehome and the situation.

If for example the pup was still less then 10 weeks and something drastic happened to the family then I suppose they could get most of their money back (if re sold).

But if it was six months old and was rehomed for free then you wouldnt get any back.

Just my thoughts.

Paul

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 15 Jan 2012, 18:23

I had to sign a paper saying i would give dexter back to them if i wanted to get rid of him ,its a good idead if they find him a good home but i dont like to think they are just doing it to get more money.My breader phoned me a few weeks after getting dexter and asked if i knew of anyone who wanted a lab for 200 pound what she had just had back.If anything happend i would trust the labradooodle trust more then her to find him a good home.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 15 Jan 2012, 19:29

I also think very much to do with circumstances, age of pup etc. If I had a returned pup/dog I would be very careful about offering it free on the likes of Epupz as sadly advertising a dog this way can attract the wrong sort of new owners. A breeder may also have spent money on a dog they are rehoming, neutering, training etc so IMO it's not unreasonable to ask a small amount for an older dog.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

iannai

Post by iannai » 15 Jan 2012, 19:34

Thanks

I was curious if there was a standard, I've seen a few adverts for 6-8 month old dogs with and asking price similar to an 8 week old.

caroline.sid

Post by caroline.sid » 15 Jan 2012, 20:13

I am still in touch with the breeder who bred both Bonnie and Clyde and I know that she feels that any puppy bred by her is almost like a her child! - She is interested in their progress.
I am sure that she would always be keen / concerned to know where any puppy ended up if the original "buyers" were unable to keep the dog which is why she asks for first refusal in the event of owners wishing to rehome. This means that she is able to vet new owners in the same thorough way as the initial owner.

I am pretty sure that her primary concern would be for the welfare of the puppy that needed rehoming. We signed a contract that provided for a money back return within the first 3 or 4 weeks (as I recall) - thereafter I guess it would be up to owner and breeder to work something out.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 15 Jan 2012, 22:00

iannai wrote:Thanks

I was curious if there was a standard, I've seen a few adverts for 6-8 month old dogs with and asking price similar to an 8 week old.
Some breeders try to recoup some of the purchase price for the previous owners but personally if I was looking for an older pup/dog I wouldn't expect to pay puppy price but I wouldn't object to a small price.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/