Any fellow geocachers? Help with dog friendly beach caches

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jessiedoodle

Any fellow geocachers? Help with dog friendly beach caches

Post by Jessiedoodle » 24 Feb 2012, 22:17

Are there any fellow geocachers on here? We took a lovely geocoin from a local cache and as the whethers looking good I am looking to get it to a beach cache somewhere around Hunstanton area, but a quieter beach that allow dogs and pref close free parking (children in tow!), anyone know of any caches on a Norfolk beach?

Thank you :-)

Bid

Re: Any fellow geocachers? Help with dog friendly beach cach

Post by Bid » 24 Feb 2012, 22:23

Dillondood and Danda are both keen geochachers, but not in your area - it's certainly spreading!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 25 Feb 2012, 09:58

Hello

Sorry to sound really stupid but what on earth are geocachers ? it sound fascinating but being faily landlocked in Cheshire it may not be something I hear much about.

Feel a bit embarrassed asking really !!
Pixie's mum
ImageImage
ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 25 Feb 2012, 10:08

doh !!

Just went on line to see what geocaching was and it sounds great fun. Might give it a try now I know what it is and its not just a 'beach ' related activity.

Can the goecachers post some examples of what they do and how they go about it as it sounds a great activity to do with doodles and some good walks too

thanks
Pixie's mum
ImageImage
ImageImage

Cherryblossom

Post by Cherryblossom » 25 Feb 2012, 12:31

Are you on Facebook? I ask because there is a Norfolk Doodlers group on there and someone with local knowledge might be able to help you. :D

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 25 Feb 2012, 12:49

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest. ... 9&dist=100

You may have to sign on to geocaching.com to see these, but I found several caches local to Hunstanton.

Danda

Post by Danda » 25 Feb 2012, 16:55

Hi Pixie's mum and others!

Waves her geocaching flag...

We have discovered so many wonderful places while caching. Moomin enjoys, no LOVES the walks although he hasn't got the hang of helping us find the caches. (He only unearths ones we have found and rehidden :roll: ) We have met lots of other cachers and their dogs while roaming the countryside. We have cached in France and in a few other countries and we even did a few in South Africa (scary poking around in the grass with all the snakes :!: )

If you are into walking and have a dog it's ideal. BTW you don't have to pay a a penny if you don't want to and have a newish mobile phone. It's free to set up an account with geocaching (so I am NOT advetising :D ) You can get a free app for the Iphone and I am sure Android do something similar. Obviously if you want to spend £ you can but you don't have to.

Have fun! Keeeeep Caching! :lol:

Anna

Edit to say; how to do it:
1 Set up an account.
2 Search for caches near you
3 Use a GPS device to find them (GPS (download coordnates for cache as per GPS instructions or enter them manually, IPhone either get a free GPS app and input coords or down load the free geocaching app, Android; similar to Iphone)
4 Check on a map (online) where you are going and drive to suitable parking
5 Walk to GZ, search and find the cache. Beware of 'muggles' (ie those who are not geocachers) and don't let anyone see you retrieving the cache.
6 Sign the log book found in the cache. If you have brought 'swag' ie little nick nacks you can trade them for something you find in the cache. If there is a Travel Bug or Geocoin in the cache you may take it (They will be either a dog tag or a coin with a tracking number) you can take this without putting in a trade. BUT only take these if you know you will be able to put them in another cache, these are 'trackable' items owners have released to travel around the world from cache to cache.
7 Rehide the cache as found
8 Do some more caches :lol:
9 Return home and log into your account. Write a log for the caches you have found and if you have picked up any Travel bugs or Geocoins you will need to log that you have done so.
10 Get hooked!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage ImageImage

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 25 Feb 2012, 17:28

Excellent post Anna :P

No need for me to say more, except that it is very addictive :oops:

Sorry Jessiedoodle, cannot help with the dog firendly beaches, as it is a bit off our patch :lol:
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 25 Feb 2012, 17:40

Dear Danda

Having removed my stupid head in relation to the first post - I have been online and looked it up and found it really interesting and have now down loaded the free app onto my iphone - looking forward to my first go this week and will watch out for 'muggles' !!

Thanks for the great explanation

Pixie's mum
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jessiedoodle

Post by Jessiedoodle » 25 Feb 2012, 19:31

That's ok, we went for heacham beach found 2 caches and had a fab time, I think others have pretty much covered how to sign up for geocaching. We've dcovered loads of walking places just by going to find some caches! Paths we didn't even know about in our little village to.
Just log onto the site and search for caches near you, you do need some kind of gps, but most phones have an app (we have the pay for app £6 but is much easier to use with more options)

Here's some pics

Never took any picture of the cache this time ( by the time we got there we were quite sandy from stick throwing and shell collecting!) but here's some of last weeks cache, just an idea of what you look for, and one of the many beautiful coins that travel the world through caches. This ones from switzerland. We didn't put it in the beach cache though, decided to take it south instead!

Jessiedoodle

Post by Jessiedoodle » 25 Feb 2012, 19:34

Oh and jess has conjunctivitis that's why her eye looks a bit sore! It doesn't bother her though, just looks horrid lol

Brie's family

Post by Brie's family » 27 Feb 2012, 12:57

Hi,
we are newbie's on here but have been caching for almost a year now.

Brie is our mobile 4 legged cache and has a special "log my dog" cache tag

check any doggies while out walking as they may also be mobile caches!

(our vehicle is also tracable!) :D
ridiculously loved Oodles - Doodle from Norfolk but home is Biggleswade, Bedfordshire