Crate Obsession? Is there such a thing?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
kboother

Crate Obsession? Is there such a thing?

Post by kboother » 01 Mar 2012, 12:09

I am starting to get a little worried about my 1 year old Doodle. She has been crated since she was 12 weeks old but over the last month or so she just doesn’t seem to want to come out. I would have put it down to the fact that recently we got a new puppy (who can be a bit ‘over the top’) but this started BEFORE we got Izzy.

What worries me is that she is let out of her crate when we are at home but she will chose to stay in it rather than go into the garden, come into the front room with us or play. Even at the weekends when we are home all day. When we aren’t out walking them the dogs are left to have the run of the house and garden when we are home but she will still chose to just go and lay in her crate. In the mornings when we come down and let them out we have a fight to get her to go into the garden and after she finally does go she just goes back to her crate.

I have been considering taking her crate away but I don’t want to freak her out by taking away her ‘safe space’.

Any suggestions or comments would be gratefully welcomed.

Kelley x

pixie's mum

Re: Crate Obsession? Is there such a thing?

Post by pixie's mum » 01 Mar 2012, 14:26

I am no expert but perhaps try and wean her off really slowly by coaxing her out and closing the crte door so she can't get back in for a while and depending how she reacts lengthen the time of no access until she is happy to stay out longer.

I wouldn't just take it away but other forum users may have more experience of this

it may take sometime but good luck

Pixie's mum
ImageImage
ImageImage

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 01 Mar 2012, 16:02

I'm no expert, I've never crated a dog, it sounds like she regards the crate as her den. Does she happily come out for food?

You could try organising a space for a "day den" and see if she would use that instead, some dogs do like to be in safe places. My last dog was very nervous and liked to get under the desk or behind the sofa.

My only worry would be that dogs who are feeling unwell like to go somewhere quiet, so it is possible that she is a bit under the weather.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 01 Mar 2012, 17:26

Could just be that she loves her den. Wurly has her bed half under the dinning table. She loves sleeping in in her den. In the bedroom she also has a den. When she was a pup she loved sleeping under Hubbys legs when his feet were on the foot stool (another den) she’s too big for that now, but she still tries to crawl on her belly to get under :lol: . Wurly isn’t a nervous dog (by any stretch of the imagination :wink: ) she just loves sleeping in an enclosed area. :D

As long as she’s coming out for food & play, but it sounds like she isn’t, so that would make me a little worried as Clairejen says, she might be a tad unwell, or she might just be a very laid back dood (there are some out there :wink: )

Nicky x
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 01 Mar 2012, 20:40

Wes is now 14 months old and he loved his crate too. However when we decided he didn't need it anymore , about a month ago, we just packed it away leaving his bedding etc on the floor.He decided to sleep under the dining room table instead and doesn't seem to miss it at all.:)

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 01 Mar 2012, 21:19

I believe girl dogs quite like their space - my parents crated their labs and once old enough removed the crates, but kept their beds in the same positions. They regularly take themselves off to bed - the older dog can be a grump sometimes and when I try and get her to do something she doesn't want to she takes herself off to bed - even if I've got a treat in my hand!! (And she's the one who is very food orientated!). The younger one sometimes will take herself off to bed after 8pm at night , even though we're all up and chit chatting.

I think sometimes the house gets a bit noisy and they want a bit of peace - especially girl dogs.

My brother's dog (also a lab) doesn't have a crate but was equivalently "bed" trained - and the command of "go to bed" is used a lot. And when they go out they tell him to go to bed and he's shut in the one room. Nowadays, when I'm round there babysitting unless I make an awful big fuss of him coming over to sit with me, he'll often be in his bed. I find it a bit sad actually that he spends all day in there. I'm not sure if he's happy to be in space or that's just where he thinks he needs to be to be a good dog!!

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 01 Mar 2012, 23:20

You've just described Florrie perfectly but she does suffer from anxiety and her crate is her safe space. She loves it and when she's had enough of the goings on, she takes herself off to her crate where she can chill out.

Florrie Lorrie

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 02 Mar 2012, 16:57

Definately thinkt there could be something with the 'girl' thing. Our girl dog is much the same but at about 18 months we got rid of the crate and just left her bed in the same place without a problem.

When we got Ted, we got the crate out again and he never really took to it but Maisie still loves it and got straight in crushing Teds puppy bed. She would happily stay in it all day only getting out for food, toilet and walks although she is very lazy.

Ted has to be by my side all the time so follows me around - so I think its all down to the dog and whats normal for them. If you think it is abnormal for your doodle then get her checked out by the vets but she is possibly just chilling out in her own space. I have been told that chilled doods exist 8)