bella boo the giant?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
kirst4

bella boo the giant?

Post by kirst4 » 30 Mar 2012, 22:58

i had bella weighed today, at 14wks she is 11.7kg im currently on a food change as she disliked the dry food i bought for her to begin with (csj puppy champ) i have had to add to it for her to eat, now i think she has been far to spoilt! but after investigating the food have decided to change so today she has had orijen large breed puppy & oscars chicken & herring just a small amount to try, she has so far had a tiny nibble and thats it, how long do i let her refuse food? she has never eaten the csj without a mix of mince, she hates dry food! HELP :idea:

JeanY

Re: bella boo the giant?

Post by JeanY » 31 Mar 2012, 01:50

Is the food change because you are worried she is overweight? Or is her weight fine, she's just bigger than you might have expected?

As my vet told me, dogs won't let themselves starve - a couple of days without food won't kill them.

Toffee has always been a fussy eater and we were really tempted at the beginning to pander to it - changing food, adding yummy treats to make it nicer etc etc. Luckily we were surrounded by toughies who dissuaded us - she still doesn't leap on her food but she eats and is a healthy weight.

I confess to still putting little additions in to make it tasty - you can buy liver dust to sprinkle on, or I use that organic baby food that comes in tubes - a little squirt of that is enough to start her eating and once she starts she will often keep going. I find even dropping just one dog treat in the bowl can start her off.

You might also find that soaking the food in water might help. Or stuffing it in a kong so she has to work to get it out. At one point when Toffee wouldn't eat from her bowl, we found that she would eat if she had to find it, or if it was moving, i.e. we threw it piece by piece on the floor for her to pounce on. Then the toughies around us asked if we really wanted to train a dog who would only eat her dinner if it was hand thrown on the floor and on consideration, we thought not. We do still sometimes put her food in unexpected places just for fun though.

That said, are you changing all her food at once? I think the standard advice would be to change slowly - only about 20% new to start, increasing every day till by the end of a week the change is complete. Changing too fast can upset their tummies when they are small.

I work on the guidance our vet gave of 80% whatever dried food we choose, and the other 20% can bring in the variety. Toffee gets some of our leftovers in her dinner usually, plus apple cores and stuff. She really loves cabbage stalks to chew.

JudeinPlymouth

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 31 Mar 2012, 08:58

Hi

I know it's natural to worry, but Toffee's mum is right, Bella won't starve herself. What cross is she? Fletcher is an F1b (lots of poodle in him) and I've never known a dog like it for food... I wouldn't say he's picky, he just only eats what he needs and on some days, that seems to be very little! I'd never seen a dog leave food in the bowl so it took some getting used to, but he's very fit and healthy so I know he's getting what he needs. Occasionally he will ask for more food, which I always give him as I know he's genuinely still hungry if he's asking.... and I can definitely tell which dry food he likes and doesn't. When he's in kennels they feed him JWB and the fish flavour is the only one he will eat given as a 'treat' from the hand, whereas the other flavours he will only eat because it's his only option :lol: :lol: (proof that he won't starve!)

I'm sure Bella will love the Orijen, most dogs seem to. Fletcher LOVES Acana which is made by the same people. I occasionally add yummy things to the top but I think that's more for my benefit :roll: as he eats the same regardless of the topping.

Jude
ImageImage

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 31 Mar 2012, 09:25

How would you like to eat dried food! I think it's cruel - dog food didn't use to exist until the Americans wanted to find a way to use up the dregs of carcasses and couldn't serve it to humans. Drying it disguised its nature... and was convenient to US as it doesn't go off in the bowl or attract flies. It's not a natural way to eat, is it?

We give Lola Orijen dried, (this is not the dregs of a carcass, it is real cuts of meat, slowly dried) but always with a generous topping of REAL food - Nature's menu, mince (which you can defrost quite easily, just freeze in small amounts) chicken liver (Sainsburys are doing 'strong tasting, rich' chicken liver at the minute) fried and cut into tiny pieces and frozen, it too unfreezes very quickly if cut small enough) and bits of our roast chicken, bits of fish etc.

Every mammal needs variety in their diet, this isn't only for pleasure (and a dogs life is partly the love of food) but a natural urge so that they get all the nutrients in their diet - they don't know vitamins have been added.

How could you begrudge this in a mistaken belief they are being 'fussy'? They just want to enjoy their food, like you and me!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 31 Mar 2012, 10:16

Lottie is also fussy about her food (although not about rubbish she steals in the Park!!) and I just put her food out twice a day (it is usually just the dry food, although we sometimes add a bit of chicken or other meat left over) and if she eats it, that's fine, if not I throw it away when the next meal is due. It's sort of demand feeding, which I know some people disaprove of, but it works for Lottie, eventually she eats when she know nothing better is coming along! Our Vet also said dogs will not starve themselves so not to worry unless they display other symptoms of illness like lethargy or are not drinking.

She is currently back on Royal Canin because Orijen gave her diahorrea.

sadiethestinky

Post by sadiethestinky » 31 Mar 2012, 10:43

Bella is gorgeous by the way.

Sadie is fed a mixture of food. She has dry food in the form of CSJ No Grainer. She prefers when we add something to it, like a raw egg, or sardines etc but will eat it dry or soaked in warm water when she is hungry. She also has raw chicken wings, and chicken carcasas which we get from a great butcher down the road at £1.50 for a big carrier bag full and she loves crunching them up. Am considering cutting down on the chicken portions tho and just using them once or twice a week instead of once a day, purely for our convenience as it takes a lot of freezer space. xx
Image,Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 Mar 2012, 11:30

Bella is exactly halfway between the weight Poppy was at that age, and the weight Beamish was :D

There are alternatives to feeding dry food if she hates it! Dry food is a convenience - for us, not the dogs. It is a balanced diet so easy for us to feed but is a relatively recent invention. There are plenty of alternatives, such as Nature Diet. A lot of people use that as a topper to persuade their dogs to eat dry food, but it is a complete food in itself, and if dogs prefer it - why not feed them it :D

I feed mine raw food, but at least two of them would eat anything you put in front of them :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 31 Mar 2012, 11:45

I certainly know that with cats - most of them prefer dry food - whatever they put in it is extra tasty as opposed to the wet food! :lol:

I can agree it might be healthier to feed cats and dogs wet food - but that's not to say it's cruelty to feed it dry.

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 31 Mar 2012, 11:58

I'm cruel I feed dry :lol: and I think I'd be in the 'you get what your given' camp and agree that they won't starve themselves. People seem to think convenience is a nasty word, how dare we do something for the sake of ourselves instead of our dog :roll: some of us (including me!) literally wouldn't suvive on this earth without certain things designed for our convenience!! :P

I know raw food is the most healthy diet, but I don't have freezer space and I don't even drive.Its much easier for me to plan a delivery of a few big bags of dry food every few months. In my eyes its not dog cruelty... its a simple fact of real life. I'm sure we all do our best for our dogs lets not be too harsh about these things!! :P :D
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

JudeinPlymouth

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 31 Mar 2012, 12:37

I totally agree Jodie!!!

For anyone who has criticized the convenience of dry dog food.... Do you cook everything for yourself entirely from scratch? Make your own bread with no preservatives etc? If so, I take my hat off to you and admit to being slightly envious! :D but for most of us we have to cut corners... I'd rather not have to feel guilty about it as I know I'm giving my doggies a great life!

Jude
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 Mar 2012, 13:08

I didn't say it was cruel, I said that if your dog doesn't like it why not try something else :D . I certainly don't blame anyone for feeding dry food - I fed Beamish Orijen for 4 months, but then he liked it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 31 Mar 2012, 13:20

Wurly gets fed Orijen. She really likes it and does give her a very shinny coat :D . She also has table scraps from Hubby’s meals (I’m a veggie so she never helps me eat mine :lol: ) And like Lottie any rubbish she finds on the park :lol: . Wurly’s really not fussy :wink: .

Good luck with finding something that’s right for Bella & for you, it’s a case of trail & error :D .
Bid wrote:but at least two of them would eat anything you put in front of them :roll:
:lol: :lol: So would Wurly :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 31 Mar 2012, 13:28

Maggie111 wrote:I certainly know that with cats - most of them prefer dry food - whatever they put in it is extra tasty as opposed to the wet food! :lol:
Actually, when the food has been dried it is de-natured and tastes of precisely nothing. For this reason, it is coated in oil - oil which has had strong flavours added. Many dog and cat food companies take food from fast food and other restaurants, after it has collected flavours, after it is of no use to them any more, and that is used to coat the food you give to your dogs and cats.

That's why it feels slightly greasy to touch. The food once bitten into tastes of nothing!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 31 Mar 2012, 13:33

JudeinPlymouth wrote:I totally agree Jodie!!!

For anyone who has criticized the convenience of dry dog food.... Do you cook everything for yourself entirely from scratch?

Jude
Er - actually, yes. Not bread, but all other food, main meals etc. It takes about half an hour.

But even if I couldn't, I wouldn't eat the SAME food every meal, which is what dried food every day is like. And certainly not dried food - no human would, however convenient, for themselves!

i think it's easy to try and believe it's not cruel because it Is so convenient. Who can possibly know? Only the dog. And lots of dogs try and get at any food that's going - maybe because they are so bored and crave something actually tasty!

kirst4

Post by kirst4 » 31 Mar 2012, 13:46

thanks for the replies :)

the main reasons for changing her food is mainly convenience, i have been giving her csj mixed with cooked mince, she also gets a sunday roast :lol:
however shes started just getting the mince and leaving the dry (shes never eaten the csj dry on its own)

i would just like to find a dry food that she will happily eat on its own that is a 'good' dry food rather than havin the faf of adding something to get her to eat it
i dont mind topping with chicken/fish but not every meal time (shes fed 4x a day)

im not really concerned about her weight or how big she may/may not become ( she drags me round the field already) :lol:
it would just be nice to put her food down & for her to eat it without that look of 'wheres my human food' :roll:

im sure she wont starve her self, maybe just continue to sulk :roll:
im at the moment leaving a little of the csj/orijen/oscars down at meal times for 15-20 mins then removing it in a bid to see if she has a preferance, ill just see how she goes for a couple more days although i may well give her sunday roast a miss

shes an F3B and just perfect.........apart from being a foodie fuss pot :D