Grooming gone horribly wrong

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lorna-Lulu

Grooming gone horribly wrong

Post by Lorna-Lulu » 25 Apr 2012, 20:20

I have just taken my beautiful puppy to the groomers for the first time and the result is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. I asked for a trim of about 1/4 inch all over - as a general tidy up and for the area around his eyes to be trimmed a little bit. The lady said did I want his 'bridge' trimming - I said yes, BIG MISTAKE. This is code for I will shave your beautiful puppy's face. In addition, she has shaved his lovely woolly feathery legs up to the knee joint so that he looks like he is wearing woolly jodphurs. I specifically emphasied "light trim, keep him scruffy, nothing pretty". He has ended up with some truly wierd looking poodle cut - his hair is sticking up like its plugged in, his tache is sort of long which the rest of his face has been SCALPED - like he is wearing a blonde zorro mask. In addition I am pretty sure she has not taken anything off his body at all. So he is all sort of puffed out like a big ball of fluff round his body, with little stick legs poking out the bottom. I am so gutted and have been crying like a baby since I got back. Why oh why did I take him? Stupidly I thought it would be a good thing to get his ears and claws done and expose him to having a little trim - all part of the puppy experience I thought. My husband will go mental when he sees him.

All new puppy owners - please take this story as a warning - be extremely careful what you ask for.

When oh when is it going to grow back. He looks ridiculous. Or is it just me being fussy about my little boy?

Rowan11

Re: Grooming gone horribly wrong

Post by Rowan11 » 25 Apr 2012, 20:29

oh dear :( it does sound bad ! what did you say to them when you went back ?

so many groomers seem to do whatever they like and dont actually listen to their customers. :twisted:

i do luna myself, honestly its not that difficult and you could have done a better job than the groomer in any case !

it wont take long to grow back - but you will have to probably even it out to make it look ok again :?
Dawn & Luna x

Lorna-Lulu

Post by Lorna-Lulu » 25 Apr 2012, 20:30

I would up load photos (and believe me I am trying - my photos are on photobucket and are apparently too large - photobucket now has some crazy complicated resizing facility in advanced photo editing and its driving me nuts!)

Lorna-Lulu

Post by Lorna-Lulu » 25 Apr 2012, 20:32

Do you think his scapled face will grow back quite quickly and his crazy skinned little legs??? You are probably right about needing to even it out - the lengths at the moment are so contrasting. Sob Sob.

SOOOOOOOOOO wish I had done it myself.

:(

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 25 Apr 2012, 20:37

We take Boo to be clipped occasionally - he looks much better the following week. It's doesn't really grown much in that time but it loses it's fresh new cut look and looks a little scruffier - and like natural short hair rather than he's been mowed.

I'd love to see a photo of him though :oops: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it as it's my friend's photo - but I will PM you another "bad" groomers groom on my friend's cavachon to make you feel a bit better :)

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 25 Apr 2012, 20:42

yet another case of the groomer thinking poodle cross means shave it like a poodle! It will grow back in time. Are there any other groomers in your area? If not, then next time, print off some photos of a good doodle cut and say you want it like that, NOT a poodle, cos you've not got a poodle!

Marley doesn't need done too often as he doesn't have the undercoat that a lot of doodles have he is just curly spirals but when he does get done its usually a lamb cut he gets. I'm lucky in that his groomer is a doodle owner so she knows how they are meant to look. His coat goes straight when he is first cut but within a few days its back to his soft curls and spirals. He often goes to the groomers for day care too and its not the first time he has come home with his face tidied up, she doesn't touch his snout area cos she knows I love his curls but she tidies around his eyes and keeps his ears and bear tidy. She just cant help herself :lol: :lol:

Don't worry, you baby will be back to normal soon xx

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

stout

Post by stout » 25 Apr 2012, 21:08

Stout had to have a major haircut before christams, as he was really matty, he had the skinny little shaved leg thing, after a week or so they looked loads better. Our old groomer used to do the face thing, that doesn't take too long to grow back.

We found a website where it had lots of pictures and a tick list showing exactly how you wanted the end result, and went armed with it to the groomer. Where abouts are you, I am sure someone on here will goive you recommendations.

Your ickle pup will be back to their little fluffy self agin soon!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Tattybogle66

Post by Tattybogle66 » 25 Apr 2012, 21:13

Oh poor you, I think I'd be equally as upset. Do you know anyone reliable who can even it up for you? Or maybe try yourself if you feel confident enough? If not, I'm certain you'll notice a difference really soon as dogs' hair grows so fast.
Sympathetic and understanding hugs coming your way ((((())))) x
Seagrass Photography - Coastal themed cards, prints and gifts
www.seagrass.uk.com

Henry . F1b miniature labradoodle . b. 01.01.12

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 25 Apr 2012, 21:26

Freddie has an all over cut on the longest cut they can do. Although he will look very 'different' after his first summer cut it does look lovely. I have round his eyes cut so you can see his lovely big eyes. First time he was done it was a shock as his coat was so long but now it's like having two lovely dogs :lol: He will grow his coat back quite quickly and next time you will know what you want.

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Apr 2012, 21:59

Sorry you're upset, but it will grow quickly, and he will look more normal after he's got wet! I 've asked on here for photos of doodle cuts in the past, and have a couple of favourite ones I took to the groomer. SHe keeps photos of dogs she has cut, so now I just need to ask for the same again!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 25 Apr 2012, 22:02

Oh gosh, how awful......poor little Bromley Bear :( I totally sympathise and know I too would be devastated if this happened to Zetti :(

We have already talked about when to get him trimmed for the first time and how to find a reputable groomer that won't do something similar to or baby.....your terrible experience has put me right off even contemplating getting it done in the foreseeable future......

I do hope his beautiful coat grows back very soon.....

Sending doodle hugs to you and Bromley xxx
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 25 Apr 2012, 22:10

Please dont get yourself too upset - your puppy will be fine soon.They always come out of the groomers looking a bit boufant anyway and it settles down after a few days. The coat comes back in a few weeks and wont change because of a bad cut.
I have pixie really scalped every 10-12 weeks because she does flyball which make her really hot and the groomer just trims her face leaving a discernable beard brows and tache. which is perfect.

I hope the coat calms down a bit and in a week or so just even up the worse bit and before you now it - the coat will be back ready for the next trim.
It took me 3 groomers before I was happy and have settled with the one.
Mind you I have new pupp coming on Saturday and her coat is completely different so I may have some disasters there before I hit on the right clip.
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lorna-Lulu

Post by Lorna-Lulu » 26 Apr 2012, 01:39

Thank you! I realise I was being a bit melodramatic - its just a haircut, he's not ill or anything. :oops: We will be out in the rain tomorrow so that will put things back a little. My husband didn't go mental, he was actually rather understanding, but like me he doesn't like what they have done.

For next time, I will definitely take pictures - if i can bring myself to go that is!

The reason I went to this particular groomer is that I had seen a couple of dogs done by her and their trims were really lovely. It's all down to communication.

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 26 Apr 2012, 10:55

Florrie's had some awful haircuts when she was younger. The worst one she had she ended up with the backs of her hind legs shaved bald and she was cut all over like a poodle :shock:
I hated it, we've got a miniature poodle and the cut Florrie had wouldn't of even suited her!

Now though I know a good groomer who comes to our house and does her or we just go over her ourselves with clippers and scissors.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Lorna-Lulu

Post by Lorna-Lulu » 26 Apr 2012, 11:13

The cut you had with Florrie sounds very like the one Bromley-Bear has come away with. His hind legs have been shaved (all his gorgeous feathery fur has gone, so he no longer has his little teddy bear legs any more -they look more like twigs!) but the front legs have been left a bit longer with just two inches being shaved around the paw. I honestly have no idea what 'look' is all about. I think its deeply odd. His little furry face is now just so stark. He has lovely eyes but his character came from the little tufts of fur on his face - all now stripped away. To top it all off he has been sprayed with perfume!!! Its the most revolting smell - I am thinking of bathing him again to try to get rid of it.

I hope the growing back happens quickly!!