How do you do it?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
benacus

How do you do it?

Post by benacus » 28 Apr 2012, 16:29

I have been reading all the posts concerning grooming gone wrong and can definately sympathise. I am lucky in that Kizzy's coat doesn't really need that much grooming but I do like to trim her beard ( well a lady doesn't like too much growth :) ) and her fringe. The difficulty is Kizzy doesn't like me going near her face with clippers, scissors etc. although she is happy to be touched on her face. Today I was determined. I managed an inch from her beard (only 6 more to go!) but understandably she didn't want me anywhere near her eyes. When she was a little :roll: puppy it wasn't necessary.
Anyway I managed to do one side of her fringe before she struggled too much to safely do the other. For those of you old enough to remember the human league she looks not dissimilar to Phil Oakey. :D :D :oops:
Attempts to do it while she sleeps have uncovered an unerring 6th sense to know when I'm within a foot of her face with a clippers, even when she's snoring :shock:
So, how do you do it?
Helen and Kizzy x

Nimitor

Re: How do you do it?

Post by Nimitor » 28 Apr 2012, 17:13

I taught Wes to sit and wait with a doggy choc on his nose and both paws, once he was happy to do that I put his fringe in an elastic band whilst he did it.After about a week I got the scissors and snipped his topknot not always very straight lol but he can see. Good luck :)

Masil

Post by Masil » 28 Apr 2012, 18:58

I have no grooming advice to offer, but your Phil Oakey comment really made me laugh :lol:

benacus

Post by benacus » 28 Apr 2012, 20:39

Thanks for the comments and advice :) I'll be giving your suggestions a go Nimitor but with sausages as Kizzy doesn't like chocolate. Just as well, it means my stash is safe :wink:
Helen and Kizzy x

Dog-Dog

Post by Dog-Dog » 28 Apr 2012, 20:47

Hi

I was very lucky with Tiegan, she is pretty compliant with the help of a handful of treats :) Kayler on the other hand :shock: Well lets say it's a case of little and often with lots of praise and treats when she sits still. It's taken months for me to be able to trim around her eyes without her struggling. I have a pair of scissors with upturned blades so I'm less likely to catch her, these are invaluable. She doesn't like to be brushed too much but again I'm getting her used to it by doing a little bit every now and then. It takes a lot of patients but it's worth it. I know it's hard but try not to get annoyed or animated when you're doing it the little darlings feed of this and jump about even more :cry:

Good luck, let me know how you get on!

benacus

Post by benacus » 28 Apr 2012, 20:52

Hi
thanks, funnily enough brushing has been a problem but I have been having more success there - treats in one closed hand, brush in the other! :D
Helen and Kizzy x

MacDoodle

Post by MacDoodle » 28 Apr 2012, 21:13

Kodi is quite short coated. I did groom my Old English Sheepdog, he hated the clippers and scissors but we got it down to a fine art. When it came to his face I got a friend to hold his biscuits in the air like you are training your dog to sit, the you tackle the beard. It's always best to do the face first especially when you have a fidgety dog, the biscuits kept his mind on food.

Anna and Kodi
Anna and Kodi

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 28 Apr 2012, 22:56

i would start with having scissors in my hand and get Kizzy to take the treat from the same hand if possible then build up the time she has her head near them and always treat after. hopefully you will get to a stage where you can do a little snip then give lots of praise and a treat but put the scissors away till the next day and slowly build up her confidence. :D thats what i would do. good luck - it will be worth the effort in the end. :)
Dawn & Luna x

benacus

Post by benacus » 28 Apr 2012, 22:57

Thanks Anna, sounds like a good idea :D
Helen and Kizzy x

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 29 Apr 2012, 09:27

We found with Jessie that over time she just grew to trust me with the scissors.
She had a couple of Phil Oakley's :lol: but if I catch her when she is in a lazy mode she is very compliant and will let chop away.
I watched the groomer trim up her face and beard last time and she was like a celebrity hairdresser snipping away at her face at a 100mph, Wow!
I think speed is the key, thy must loose interest and try to walk off if you are too slow.
Sarah and Jessie

benacus

Post by benacus » 29 Apr 2012, 09:32

Thanks all, some really great advice :D Now where are those scissors...
Helen and Kizzy x