Barney Problems

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Maggie111

Barney Problems

Post by Maggie111 » 30 Apr 2012, 16:31

Hi, Barney is generally wonderful - he's already peeing on command :shock: and is generally well behaved and has a nice manner about him - apart from the few following issues. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

*We had Barney for a week and a half before he "turned" one day and now he thinks our door mat is Satan and he should kill it :shock: . He scratches, bites, pulls the rug. He's only ever with it when I'm there and no amount of making distraction noises, body blocking, praise when he's being calm on it, or distracting him with another toy will help. We've also put a bit of "pet away" spray to reinforce our telling him not to.

We need a mat at the back door for obvious reasons and he does display good behaviour on it by sitting getting his paws wiped etc. It's often when he's playing with his toys he'll turn to his mat and start "playing" with it :(

*Lead. He hates it :( When it's on and I'm holding one end and he wants to run off he goes ballistic. Writhing, choking, making hideous noises :( Quite distressing for me. I've tried leaving it on him as we did fun things but he just decided it was a good time to eat it. I put it on him today and he didn't like it - I wondered if maybe going for a gentle walk up and down the garden would help but at one point he wanted to go further or something and he started leaping like crazy :( His collar is a little big for him (We can tighten it to the "2 fingers" rule but I don't mind it looser and he's not pulling it off over his head - will it be more comfortable if it was tighter? How can I get him to stop eating the lead without him associating the lead with negativity?

I admit, I've read so much about having a happy puppy who's toilet trained and doesn't nip - good lead behaviour I'm far less certain on. Does anyone know of a good resource for being on the lead? I'm at a total loss :(

*He's got a classic case of the Doodles. If he's distracted he can't hear me, see me, sniff food I'm offering - he's at a total loss. I've not done any "come" training yet as I wanted to be fully commited when we start, but we spent a couple of days treating the name Barney and ever since I've been doing the "watch me" command. But if his interest is elsewhere it doesn't matter if I have a toy, a treat, call him, run away - he will pay no attention. 80% of the time he's perfect - comes in the house when I tell him, goes into bed when I point to it and does wonderful sits and downs even if he's a little excited.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get one of those 100% focused dogs they always talk about? :roll: ... (I mean how to create one, not where to get one :lol: )

The Turners

Re: Barney Problems

Post by The Turners » 30 Apr 2012, 16:42

A definite case of the Doodles :lol: .

Lead advice, I have none sorry :( , Wurly is good on her lead if she has something to carry :wink: , if not then she’s not as good, but getting there. I had lots of great advice on here and someone will come along & tell you :D . Even though Wurls is good, I’m not at all qualified to give any tips :wink: .

The mat tale made me laugh :lol: , Wurly destroyed our mat at the back door, she too thought it was Satan :shock: . (it was a beautiful Laura Ashley mat :( ) I got a cheap one from Wilko’s and she started on that but never really put her heart into it :lol: . Once she’s stopped altogether, we got another nice one, and all has been well since :wink: .

So that’s my advice, it’s not great but it worked for us. Good Luck. :D

P.S I need to see more photo’s of the lovely Barney. :mrgreen:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 30 Apr 2012, 17:35

The Turners wrote: I got a cheap one from Wilko’s and she started on that but never really put her heart into it :lol: . Once she’s stopped altogether, we got another nice one, and all has been well since :wink: .

P.S I need to see more photo’s of the lovely Barney. :mrgreen:
I like that advice, I might well do it. So far he's not destroying it at all (I'm not letting him) but if it comes to it I don't think it's unreasonable that a change of mat might encourage a change of behaviour :)

And pictures! Will do! :)

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 30 Apr 2012, 17:47

Hang in there.... Most dogs just 'get' lead walking when they are out and about exploring the streets. I think its a difficult one to teach in the garden and at home. It must be strange to be attached by the neck to a lead in your home where you can normally wander freely - when he is outside and exploring new things he will soon get the hang of walking. Although I can't guarantee he wont still try to doodle dash on the lead - thats why its very important to get them off lead as soon as possible :lol: (Or so everyone says... Ted ran across two field on his first outing)

Barney will also build a positive association with the lead when he realises its to go out and meet new people/dogs/leaves etc in the great outdoors - so don't be disheartened its probably just a bit too much too soon for him. :D

:lol: :lol: I think everyone can sympathise with the 'doodles'. Ted still gets those blank moments when he is distracted by something on a walk. I then just become a tree until he realises he is going nowhere on his own. Off lead he is generally an angel and will not leave me if there is a chance of a throw of the ball and I think finding a beloved toy Barney will do anything for will be a life saver. However, he is only very young so I wouldn't expect miracles yet. I also don't think there are such things as 100% focused dogs - well at least not in the doodle world :shock: You will grow to love the mischief :D

It sounds like he has associated he rug with being a toy... perhaps I firm no and being taken away to a puppy safe room to calm down when he does it would help with that one?

I am sure you will get lots more suggestions, but for now enjoy your little bundle of madness as it all ends far too soon! :lol: (Believe me - when Ted turned 1 and started behaving I was actually a little upset)

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Apr 2012, 19:30

It's not really surprising that he doesn't like the lead as it is stopping him from doing what he pleases. It's up to you to make being on his lead a fun experience. Once he can go out, the lead will come to mean fun walks, but in the meantime try getting him to walk to heel with some treats so he ignores the lead an keeps his nose to the treat. Do lots of changing directions too saying "this way!" and treat him each time he comes with you. Hopefully he will start to see his lead as meaning fun with treats!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 30 Apr 2012, 20:35

great advice there from people. had to laugh at the mat story :lol:

and i agree, we need more Barney pictures :D
Dawn & Luna x

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 30 Apr 2012, 20:51

Hi Maggie, I can really sympathise with the mat. Alfie is now 16 months old and I finally have a mat that he hasn't destroyed......actually I bought the turtle mar you recommended and although he has dragged it round the garden a couple of times he has had a telling off and he is ignoring it now.... Think constant 'no' or 'leave it' in a low tone may put him off.

No advice on lead though sorry - bids advice was good though.

Ignorance or select hearing comes from combination of doodle and male!!! :lol:

Lindsey and Alfie x

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 30 Apr 2012, 20:57

Hi, Barney doesn't seem any different to any other doodles I know, I remember when Oscar was the same age as Barney, we had to make some sacrifices for our own sanity. It included removing the rug from the lounge, the doormats, and for a few months stop the children from wearing their fluffy slippers, he was just chewing all the time. The children were finding walking in them difficult with a doodle hanging from them. After some time we re introduced the doormats and the slippers, He just ignores them now. He's grown out of that chewy nippy stage. We also had some success with puppy training spray.

The best thing we ever done for Oscar was to take him to puppy classes, some of the methods they employ are totally opposite to what you would think but they work.

Good luck, Oscar & Gerry.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 30 Apr 2012, 23:38

hi great advice given already. i do think when Barney is 'going out' on his lead he will begin to see it more positively. completely sympathise with the mat 'monster', Riley took an instant dislike to the very expensive bed i got him and proceeded to rip it to shreds at every opportunity :evil: (he now sleeps on sofa on his blanket,bed ended up at rubbish tip!) when he started on my living room rug,i removed for a while(not an option for you i know) but in the end i used some puppy training spray and a very firm NO. he still occasionally will try his luck if i'm not watching,but in general he seems to have grown out of killing the rug. good luck and definitely need some more pics :D

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 30 Apr 2012, 23:38

hi great advice given already. i do think when Barney is 'going out' on his lead he will begin to see it more positively. completely sympathise with the mat 'monster', Riley took an instant dislike to the very expensive bed i got him and proceeded to rip it to shreds at every opportunity :evil: (he now sleeps on sofa on his blanket,bed ended up at rubbish tip!) when he started on my living room rug,i removed for a while(not an option for you i know) but in the end i used some puppy training spray and a very firm NO. he still occasionally will try his luck if i'm not watching,but in general he seems to have grown out of killing the rug. good luck and definitely need some more pics :D

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 01 May 2012, 08:11

Thanks everyone for your advice and reassurance :)

Yes I do think he views the mat as a toy - he has got better over the past couple of days but when he "turns" I just can't stop him :( And I suppose I worry that my distractions for him are positive rewards for his naughty behaviour. I guess with this one I shall just have to persevere... At least while we still have this atrocious weather!! :shock:

As for the his "case of the Doodles" I know his favourite toy (not only does he spend a lot of time with it, it's the one he tries to "kill" and hump :lol:) and I have tried him on various treats. He's doing reasonable progress with the "drop it" command so I know him sniffing a treat works for him except when he has the Doodles. For example when he's eating/attacking his lead there was just nothing I can do.

One problem is I played tug with him due to a lot of things I read that said tug is fine as long as you win most of the time. Now he's started to playing tug when I want to take something and frankly I don't like his manner and I don't want to play tug anymore.... How can I let him know it's not just a game anymore. They say stop immediately but do I drop the toy and walk off? Will that not teach him that he gets what he wants if he grips on and pulls??

As for the lead.. I was really hoping to get good lead behaviour before we went out on the streets but I guess I might have to teach it out and about then :( At the minute I think the only way I will get him off lead is to whistle train him as at least the whistle noise will be piercing to cut through his attention.

Scoppenhall, I know exactly what you mean about wanting a cheeky dog ;) I just want him cheeky in the right ways!! :lol:

Bid, he really doesn't want to eat when he's on his lead. I'm going to try out a couple new treats today with his lead (cheese and chicken) and see how that goes but when I had his new favourite he didn't even register it he was so busy tugging on the lead.

I did manage to feel not so disheartened by walking him saying "let's go!" and turning for about 2 minutes. Then he decided he didn't want to walk with me any more and had that a big stress out. I tried to distract him by walking again and he was not having any of it :(

I think I might try helping him figure out new treats but only giving them to him on the lead and see how that goes :)

Lindsey- how is the turtle mat suiting you?

Thanks for all your advice! And for sharing your destroyed stories - your misery certainly makes me feel better! :D

sandyandbeanie

Post by sandyandbeanie » 01 May 2012, 22:21

Hi Maggie
It sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with Barney. Sandy loved killing the door mat too. I think it probably smells great as it has lots of scent from peoples shoes on it. We replaced our 'nice' doormat with an old carpet cut off. A couple of weeks ago I was able to put our nice one back as she'd stopped playing with it.

If he is struggling with the lead on his collar, how about using a harness? They often find it more comfortable when they are younger. It also gives you more control, meaning you are less likely to be left with just a collar and lead if Barney gets scared and puts himself in reverse.

It will take a bit of reward training for him to let you put the harness on without nipping you or running away. If you leave all the straps done up, hold a treat in front of it so he puts his head through then reward him. Then one side at a time, undo the clip, pop the strap under his leg and clip it back up. If he struggles, ask him to sit and wait. Only attempt the straps when he is still. Reward as soon as you've clipped it back up. As the others have suggested, lead training gets easier when you get him onto unknown territory, but until then, there is no reason why you can't do a bit of positive reinforcement with the lead at home.

If he starts tugging something you are trying to get him to drop, and he will not listen to your 'leave' command, pop your finger gently into the corner of his mouth until he opens it, whilst telling him leave. Once you have it, praise him then throw the toy as a reward. We stopped tug of war with Sandy when she was about 11 weeks as she decided tug of war with my hand was much more fun :shock: so we reverted to playing fetch instead.

The best thing I've learnt from training dogs is to always follow a command through to the end. If you ask them to do something, don't give up until you have achieved it. That way, ignoring you never becomes an option. The best way to get Sandy's attention when she was younger was to shake her treat box. It never failed to get her sitting obediently at my feet :!: Luckily she recalls to the whistle now, carrying a treat box everywhere could of caused some difficulties!

Sorry for the lengthy reply, i get a bit carried away sometimes :roll:
Keep up the good work, I promise your hard work will pay off in the end. :)
xx Beanie and Sandy xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandy at Dymchurch beach by sabinaswithenbank, on Flickr

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 May 2012, 00:26

If he doesn't want food on the lead, how about a game?

I still play tug with my dogs, but we have rules. They are not allowed to touch skin with teeth - if they do then the game stops immediately. They have to "give" when asked - I reach under the chin for the collar and hold the toy - usually they wil give it up when they rae not free to run off. Tug is no fun if you can't win from time to time, but the rule is after a victory circuit of the garden, they have to bring it back for the next round - I teach that by playing on a long line.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 02 May 2012, 10:14

awww he's just a baby!! :D it sounds like he's doing brilliantly though :D

I've never achieved 100% focus from Bud :lol: when we're out he is VERY good and does pay attention but during his training at home etc i only got 80/90% focus and attention by the time he was about 18 months old, before then he was too busy nosing around at everything else :lol:

Do try all sorts of techniques and rewards for him, I read sooo many books and articles etc but you do end up finding out a jumble of all sorts of advice that suits your own dog. Nothing is set in stone so enjoy working out together what best suits him and what he likes to do and what he likes best as a reward :D

The biggest mistake I made was to expect too much too soon! And by doing that I wished away his puppyhood and didn't have much fun with him!! I will go much slower in training my next dog.
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 02 May 2012, 10:50

The children were finding walking in them difficult with a doodle hanging from them.

Image[/quote]
This made me laugh so much :) ;)