Warning about dogs in run-off water

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Bid

Warning about dogs in run-off water

Post by Bid » 30 Apr 2012, 16:44

I've just been sent this and thought I'd pass it on .....

WARNING:
Original poster = Jo Hart (agilitynet) - permission gained to crosspost
Just wanted to let you all know what happened yesterday on my walk through the woods, as I'm sure a few of you swim your dogs.

There is a stream where they all usually paddle which this morning was more like a river with large ponds in areas. They were in and out of the water for a lot of the walk, retrieving things from the ponds too.

On the way back from the walk my border terrier, Izzy, started limping, holding her knee almost parallel with her body and shaking vigorously, at this point I thought she had done something to the leg as she refused to put any weight on it. We picked her up and headed to the car to go to the vet.

On the way to the vet we realised Izzy wasn't putting weight on the other leg either and she was frantically licking both legs. We noticed she was very unsteady and wobbly and thought maybe she had sprained her spine (if they can do that?), which was causing her legs to feel numb, she had lost control of her back end. She also wet herself on the way to the vets.

When we got her to the vet she was no longer limping, but was very unsteady and couldn't walk properly, she was panicky, hot and scratching her feet against the floor. Whilst I was in the vets, my partner ran in to say both our other dogs, (which are large dogs) were now doing the same (loss of control of the back legs, scratching, panicking).

The vet came to the conclusion they have been poisoned by fertilizer in the run off from the field in the river, and having washed them immediately, given them steroid injections, charcoal, piriton and lots of food and water, they seem slightly wobbly and tired but ok (I'm watching closely for the next 24 hours).

We're not sure where the fertilizer came from as nothing has been used on the field next to the stream (or obviously in the woods) for years but I'm aware there is a farm next to the land... I'm trying to contact the environment agency.

I've never heard of this happening before so I thought I'd just warn you as with the rain we have had the farmers chemicals can be spread quite a way. My lot certainly won't be swimming for a long time
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

The Turners

Re: Warning about dogs in run-off water

Post by The Turners » 30 Apr 2012, 16:48

Oh my goodness, that’s just awful. Thanks for cross posting. As Wurly is a swimmer, I’ll be very careful on what water I let her in. Thanks. :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

nicky16

Post by nicky16 » 30 Apr 2012, 17:09

Thats awfull , will tell all my friends with doggies

Nicky Mummy to Lexie

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 30 Apr 2012, 17:37

Gosh, how awful it would be to make that journey to the vets and then to know all 3 of your dogs have "it" without knowing what "it" is :cry:

So glad that they're recovering by the sounds of it.

A warning indeed...

sadiethestinky

Post by sadiethestinky » 30 Apr 2012, 17:53

OMG that is really scarey. Sadie is in and out of the water all the time!! Will certainly be thinking twice about where she goes in now. xx
Image,Image

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 30 Apr 2012, 18:33

Thank you for cross-posting.......we have a stream in our garden with watercress beds and a lake beyond.......Rossetti has already discovered the joys of going in for a dip but hopefully we won't encounter the same problems :(

Hope the original poster's dogs are now recovering fully from this......
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

benacus

Post by benacus » 30 Apr 2012, 18:36

Good grief you must have been terrified, I know I would have been. Thank you for posting this and I hope your little ones are all OK now.
Helen and Kizzy x

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 30 Apr 2012, 20:10

Thanks for that Bid, a very important warning.
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

sallysutton

Post by sallysutton » 30 Apr 2012, 20:22

Thanks for warning ... so glad your dogs are OK.
Gill
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 30 Apr 2012, 20:37

thanks for posting Bid. its something i would never have thought about !
Dawn & Luna x

muffinhead

Post by muffinhead » 30 Apr 2012, 21:30

Thanks for sharing this....i'll pass it on
Sarah

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 30 Apr 2012, 22:12

Gosh - who would have thought that could happen - I am so relieved that the dogs are ok but that was probably because the owners acted so quickly
I will be very careful from now on where mine swim - (if I can they just throw themselves in any bit o water so it'll not be easy)
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 30 Apr 2012, 23:12

thanks for letting us know Bid,Riley has just discovered the joys of the lake at our local woods so i will go and do some investigation. it does have a section which is 'just for dogs' but it wont do any harm to speak to the forest rangers. so glad your dogs are ok.