What do you do in an emergency?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
travis

What do you do in an emergency?

Post by travis » 17 May 2012, 22:25

I have just come back from Chica's last walk of the day. On our way out we passed a young girl with a puppy. The dogs said hello and we went on our way. On our way back the same puppy was heading our way again this time on the opposite side of the road when it broke free from its lead and ran across the road heading for us but it ran straight in front of a car and was hit. Maybe it was lucky that although there was an almighty bang the puppy was small and it went under the car rather than under a wheel and was left yelping in the road. We took it to the side of the road and she phoned her mother for help. It was dark and I couldn't see or feel any broken bones but it must have had some damage somewhere.
I have to say apart from trying to keep her calm, I didn't know what to do.
Last time I needed an emergency vet when our cat had a heart attack, I phoned an emergency RSPCA number from yellow pages and got abuse for calling him so late!
So what should you do? Keep an emergency number handy just in case. I didn't even have my phone with me as I had only nipped out for a short walk. Poor little thing.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

Maggie111

Re: What do you do in an emergency?

Post by Maggie111 » 17 May 2012, 22:54

:cry: Poor puppy! What an awful thing to witness :(

I hope the puppy's alright... Stuff of nightmares isn't it :(

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 May 2012, 00:19

:shock: :shock: :shock: Poor little mite - I hope it's OK!

You know that irritating advert jingle - "got my eyes, got my lips got my blah de blah de blah"? Well I have my own version for walks , and it is something like "got my keys, got my phone, got my treats, got my whistle, got my doooooogs"! Basically I have a checklist in my brain and the phone is at the top of the list! I have the vets number in it, and the number of the local farmer who has promised to come and get me if one of the dogs has an accident somewhere remote! (What I don't do and should do is check out vets when I go somewhere else for a walk! )

The phone went to the top of my list after I lost Poppy once - she took off after a deer and was gone for 3 hours and I had no phone! I stopped a dog walker who also had no phone, but he took down my home number and when he got home he rang my OH for me - bless him!

I am a born worrier, and I often think when out on a walk - what would I do if one of the dogs was injured here, so I have worked out plans for a lot of places I walk - I just hope I never have to put them into practise!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 18 May 2012, 08:27

That must have been awful for you to witness!! :shock: :shock:
I hope that puppy will be okay!!
Daise xx

travis

Post by travis » 18 May 2012, 09:07

I have to admit to a disturbed nights sleep as the events of last night kept running through my head.
I feel sorry for the little dog that knew no better.
I feel sorry for the girl who was looking after it.
I feel sorry for the driver who had no chance of seeing a small black dog rush off the pavement after dark.
I feel guilty because if we hadn't been there at that moment it wouldn't have rushed across the road.
But it does bring home the importance of making sure your lead and collar or harness are properly fastened and in good condition.
In this case the puppy was on the type of harness we had used two sizes of on Chica without a problem. Two metal rings hold it together in the lead clip, so even if the plastic clip failed it holds together so I can only conclude that it wasn't on correctly.
I am thankful that this morning I was able to take my bundle of trouble out for a walk.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 18 May 2012, 10:37

Thats what i worry about when im out on my own ,if something happens ,ill start taking my phone from now on ,could you find out if pup was ok,such a shame a few years ago a dog ran out the house by me and it got killed.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 18 May 2012, 13:48

I love your jingle Bid!!! I also never go anywhere without my phone, Buddys collar also has vets number on just incase.

Poor puppy, I hope hes okay :cry: must have been horrible for you too!
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

brucey doodle

Post by brucey doodle » 18 May 2012, 15:30

That mustn't have been nice at all for you to see. I'm going to make sure I have my vets Number on me from now on it's a good idea cause you just never know . My cousins German Shepherd was killed when the ring on his new harness snapped and he was ran over .The company who made the harness compensated my cousin but no amount of compensation can bring him back .
Chica is looking as cute as ever :D
Emma and Bruce
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 18 May 2012, 16:05

What a horrible thing to witness. I must admit that as I mainly walk Lola alone I always carry my phone. Its also a gentle reminder for us all to check the collars of our fluffy friends. Its amazing how much smaller their necks are once they have been cut! If you do see the young girl and her puppy again please let us all know how they are.

Alison & Lola x

JudeinPlymouth

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 18 May 2012, 16:28

I have a little saying that I always shout out to my OH as I'm leaving for a dog walk. "got my phone..... in case I break my leg!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not actually sure why I say it, but basically, I've got it just in case anything happens!

We have a 24hr vets hospital here so we're lucky.

I always worry when I see youngsters with puppies and wonder what they'd do if anything went wrong :cry: :cry:
ImageImage

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 19 May 2012, 15:05

ooh gosh thats awful ! that would have really upset me too !!
i have my vets number in my phone and also vets numbers of wherever we go camping. i dont think there is much else you can do.
doing bid's jingle or Judie's saying might help - they might want to copyright them first :lol:
Dawn & Luna x

watto

Post by watto » 20 May 2012, 03:14

:shock: That is terrible, I hope you are OK now. I don't think you could have done anything differently, and I'm sure if the girl hadn't been able to phone her mum, you would have worked out a way to help her :) I do hope the pup is alright.

I also have a mantra like Bid's (Although I haven't put it to music yet :lol: ) - I touch my pockets or bag or whatever as I list them in my head - phone, keys, treats, poo bags...Charlie wouldn't let me leave him behind :lol:

Jo

muffinhead

Post by muffinhead » 21 May 2012, 10:34

I hope the puppies ok
Sarah