Please help - breeders?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
eoghan1211

Please help - breeders?

Post by eoghan1211 » 24 May 2012, 09:05

Hi there, after 2 years we are now ready to welcome our new addition and are on the lookout for an australian labradoodle. We are looking to do this around late October/November time and in the mean time I am doing my homework in terms of the breed and available breeders.

We live in Scotland but we are willing to travel up to 5 hours to purchase our new pup and I'm looking for advice in terms of breeders. Does anyone have any knowledge on Tora Labradoodles as they are in Scotland and would suit us although I have noticed prices start from £1500, would you say this is fair for an australian labradoodle?

Would really appreciate help and advice, thanks!

Rowan11

Re: Please help - breeders?

Post by Rowan11 » 24 May 2012, 11:13

hi there - its great that you are doing lots of research first :) ive heard of tora labradoodles and think there might be someone on here that has a doodle from them so you will hopefully get a better response later.
as to the price i think thats about normal for an ASD (although i wouldnt say it is fair). I paid £700.00 for Luna, she does shed slightly though and is bigger than an australian at 19" to the shoulder. good luck in your search. x
Dawn & Luna x

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 24 May 2012, 12:01

Hi, I also live in Scotland and I have heard of Tora and met some people with doodles from there which all seem fine. I did not consider them because I thought the price excessive but from what I gather, now I know a bit more about doodles, the Australian ones are expensive.

Lottie is UK bred and a straightforward F1b miniature from Foreside Farm in Neilston. She is lovely natured and does not shed.

I'm sure someone with a Tora doodle will be able to give you more help. I believe that Lomondhills Doodles in Fife also do Ausies and there is another breeder of UK doodles near Helensburgh.

Fiona and Lottie

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 24 May 2012, 12:23

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

We don't live in Scotland, but DO have an Australian mini doodle. He was £1500 from Raisdoodles in Hereford which is obviously too far for you to travel, but I just wanted to say that whilst I agree that this is not cheap, it does appear to be the norm when buying an Aussie......and we believe he was worth every penny :roll: That said, there are an awful lot of absolutely gorgeous doodles on the forum that are not Aussies and cost a heck of a lot less :wink:

Good luck with your search - do come back and let us know how you get on :D

Mimi x
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

eoghan1211

Post by eoghan1211 » 24 May 2012, 12:43

Thanks Fiona, Lottie is gorgeous...she is exactly what I'm looking for although I have to admit I am partial to the lighter colours. I would consider an F1b but I just don't know if I should take the chance with shedding. I wouldn't be bothered about that although I have two young children and I just feel this would be better in the long run for me as it would save time on housework and mean I could ultimately devote more time to the doodle and my kids.

What's more my youngest suffers from eczema and although his dermatologist is positive he will outgrow this I'd rather be on the safe side. He has been exposed to plenty of dogs and animals and has been fine.

Jackie from tora labradoodles seems lovely and has been helpful, at the end of the day I don't mind paying that kind of money for what is ultimately going to be a part of our family for years to come. The only concern my other half had was the fact her puppies are neutered so early and I've heard a lot of conflicting information about whether this is good or bad for the dog's well-being?

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 24 May 2012, 13:18

Understand your issues with the shedding and I believe it can be a lottery with the crosses! I'm afraid I know nothing about the neutering so early - maybe a chat with a vet would help?

I've met a couple of people with gorgeous standard poodle puppies and they don't shed but can be a bit big!!!

Good luck whatever you do.

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 24 May 2012, 19:36

Hi, Lola is an F1b and is non-shedding. I too looked at getting an Aussi doodle but, for me they were a little on the small side. They are gorgeous though and although more expensive im sure anyone who has one will say they are worth every penny. They are also more likely to be non-shedding :D All doodles have a wonderful personality though and as long as they come from health tested parents you wont go far wrong with either breed. Good luck and please let us know how you get on :D :D

Alison & Lola x

Ben

Post by Ben » 24 May 2012, 21:08

Hi

I would absolutely recommend Jackie at Tora Australian Labradoodles. I know a few people who have had not just one, but two dogs from her, and they are beautiful.

Aussies also come in a standard size as well as medium/small, Jackie I believe breeds both sizes.

Aussies are £1500 and come chipped, 1st vaccination, puppy packs/instructions, and a LIFETIME of support at any time for you and your pooch which is worth its weight in gold.

My first dood is a scruffy F1, he is heavy and manic. I then got an Aussie from Cream of British, and he is an absolute diamond. I was so impressed by the Aussies as a good all round dog (and bred carefully with health testing) that I went back for a 3rd dog (2nd Aussie). :lol: :lol:

If you are in Scotland she is your best bet I'd say.

Edited to say, don't worry about the early neuter thing. My Aussies ESN and there is absolutely nothing wrong at all, do not be concerned about it. Rather than listen to 'what ifs' on the internet, as an owner of an esn pup, I have no problems with the way the oldest one has developed physically, behaviourally, emotionally and socially. He is now 2.5yrs.

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 24 May 2012, 21:22

I have a none shedding British 'multigen'. There was a high chance he was none shedding due to both his parent doodles being none shedding. :)

I paid £650 for Buddy, I was very close to buying from another breeder (one of the £1200+) but changed my mind when I saw an advert for Buds litter I fell in love :D and so very glad I did as Buddy is the perfect temperament and a very clever special boy :D

I wasn't happy to buy an ESN pup after reading everything for and against I could lay my eyes on and was glad to find Bud's litter wasn't ESN :) but everyone has there own opinion on this.

Hope you find the perfect pup to fit your family :D
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 24 May 2012, 22:26

We paid £2,200 for Ruby :shock: , which now seems rather steep, however, we wouldn't swap her for the world! She doesn't shed any fur and our best friend is highly allergic to all animals ..........except for Ruby!!!! :D She came from Courtlands.

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 24 May 2012, 22:51

Can't recommend Jackie at Tora and her dogs highly enough, I have an Aussie from Tora and she's an absolute joy!
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 May 2012, 23:52

I too have heard good things about Tora Labradoodles. :D

However I would never have an ESN dog :(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

eoghan1211

Post by eoghan1211 » 25 May 2012, 08:50

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and I think Tora Labradoodles may just be the one for us. I still have many conflicting views on ESN dogs however I feel confident knowing that Jackie is an experienced breeder and so far this hasn't caused problems in her dogs. Super excited, roll on Oct/November. :)

Leah

Post by Leah » 25 May 2012, 13:53

Monty's Mum is from Tora and Dad from Lomond Hills. He has a brilliant calm, gentle nature and is amazing with the kids - he is also totally non-shedding.
He is not an Australian doodle (F2 standard size) and cost £600 if I remember correctly.
I don't really agree with neutering dogs early and believe the breeders do this so they have a monopoly and can continue to charge silly prices so I wouldn't buy one and support that, but that is just how I feel.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Leah

eoghan1211

Post by eoghan1211 » 25 May 2012, 18:34

leah did you get monty from tora labradoodles? I think it also has a lot to do with protecting the lines breeding wise. there are a lot of people keen to make a quick buck and don't prioritize quantity over quality. I can understand that in the case of the true austrailian doodles although I also appreciate peoples views.