Question for ASD owners

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Woo68

Question for ASD owners

Post by Woo68 » 08 Jun 2012, 15:58

Hi,

I am new to this site (did a post on introductions yesterday).

I am due to get my ASD puppy in Dec.

I just want to ask the owners of ASD's if they really are NON-shedding?

The non-shedding claim is one of the reasons I have gone for an ASD but not the only reason and just curious to know about owners experiences with shedding/not shedding.

Alfieandlindsey

Re: Question for ASD owners

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 08 Jun 2012, 16:04

Awww welcome from me and Alfie. How exciting - you will be willing the year away....

Alfie is a minature asd and doesn't shed a single hair!! Be warned though this does mean regular high maintenance grooming - but sooooo worth it x

Lindsey and Alfie x

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 08 Jun 2012, 16:11

Hi Woo :D

Rossetti is also a miniature ASD and so far (he'll be 5 months on 12th June so we don't have that much experience yet, lol!) he hasn't shed at all.

He's not particularly keen on being groomed though.....unlike our persian girls who can't get enough of it :lol: so we have to take a different approach, bribing him with tasty treats :roll:
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

baskerville1967

Post by baskerville1967 » 08 Jun 2012, 20:22

Hello, teddy is 50/50 so half english and half ASD. However, she looks like an ASD with a very fleecy coat that can get quite long. She doesn't shed at all.

Phoebe11

Post by Phoebe11 » 08 Jun 2012, 20:27

Hiya & welcome
Phoebe is a medium ASD & she doesn't shed, they are the most adorable pups, where ate you getting yours from?
Jo, Phoebe & Darcy

Woo68

Post by Woo68 » 08 Jun 2012, 21:31

Thanks for the replys, it's nice to hear that that they are actually non-shedding, happy days :D

I am getting my puppy from a breeder in herefordshire. I'm not getting him till December, she did have 2 other litters due before then but due to my preferences on size, coat and colour those litters were not for me. December is a long time to wait :(

All of your dogs are stunning and I just can't wait to get mine................how am I going to last till December!!!

Ben

Post by Ben » 08 Jun 2012, 22:13

Hi

I have three doodle now. My 1st is an f1, and does shed. My 2nd and 3rd are ASD's. My ASD's do not moult, but they do need a lot of time and money spent on grooming.

You will either need to find a good groomer and be there every 8-12weeks, or like myself buy clippers and table and perform rather dodgy DIY efforts!

ASD's are more than likely to be non-shedding. If the ASD is crossed out to a UK doodle (50/50) then there is a higher potential for a shedder to appear. Similarily a throw back to a flat coated doodle can happen, although not a usual occurance, but your breeder would identify very quickly this coat and even yourself would be able to see the difference.
The coats can come in single or doubled coated, neither of these will shed.

Enjoy.....and I bet in 18mths time you will be announcing your second! They are very addictive.

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 08 Jun 2012, 22:50

Ruby is nearly 3 years old and is an ASD (cost a fortune but worth every penny) She doesn't moult at all and our best friend who is highly allergic to all dogs is absolutely fine with Ruby!!! :D However, as someone else has already mentioned we do have to keep on top of her grooming!!!

Phoebe11

Post by Phoebe11 » 08 Jun 2012, 23:30

Woo
Are you getting your doodle from Rai? Raisdoodlles/manorborn,
Mimi got Rossetti from there and Phoebe is a med ASD care puppy
Jo, Phoebe & Darcy

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 08 Jun 2012, 23:57

Lola is a mini ASD and doesn't shed at all.

When she was a little pup up till about 5 months her coat was soft, fleecy waves and was easy to comb or brush through.

From 6 to 9 months it was a NIGHTMARE. The pup coat sheds (only this once) into the adult coat emerging, and sort of sticks there - it forms matts which are very, very difficult. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have got her cut short - it would have been better for her and me. I was spending an hour plus a day combing her very, very carefully and gently so as not to hurt her. It was exhausting, it was never ending. This lasted a good 3 months.

Now she is two. From when she had her adult coat till now it's been much easier - but her coat is not the same all over. Round her neck it is much denser and a bit coarser in texture (although everyone who touches her there says how soft and silky she is, I can tell the difference). The rest of her coat is wavy, spirally and curly. But as a whole, looks the same all over!

Nowadays I keep her cut every 3 months - but yours might have hair that grows slower or faster. Lola's needs to be at an optimum length, cut fairly short (number 3). She still looks gorgeous but this length means no terrible matts. Matts hurt them - the hair pulls rather like your hair does if kept in too tight a ponytail as the hair matts itself together. I put a pir of scissors through up from the bottom and slice the matt through. Then comb carefully. Towards the end of the 3 months this has to be done more and more frequently and I long for her to be cut!

Then she is and it is really easy to look after for 2 and half months or so!

But no vacuuming - no problems with hair balls or allergies (no-one has been allergic to Lola and she is a service dog and goes everywhere). No having to move her bed carefully for fear of dog hair flying, no doggy smell on her, on me or my clothes or in the house.

Also - Lola's hair is fine and there is no undercoat. She gets cold easily, and her hair-like coat picks up mud easily and she has to be washed after every muddy walk - some people just let their dogs dry and then brush them, but I pop Lola in the bath on a rubber mat and
shower her with water till the mud stops running and then dry her off with a microfibre towel.

So! It's not as simple as you think - but I think easier than having a shedding dog!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 09 Jun 2012, 09:38

I have three doodles and I have to say my ASD has a very easy coat, non shedding, she's fleece but it's a very loose fleece, under normal circumstances all she needs is a comb through once a week but some have more challenging coats. When her coat is longer she does bring home all the muck of the day but I tend not to bath her more than once a month and choose to wait until she is dry when most of it brushes out. I home groom and this saves a fortune but it's time consuming and tiring so you need to weigh this up against sending to a groomer.

ASDs are fantastic dogs, ours is an absolute joy, hope December comes round quickly for you! :-)
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Woo68

Post by Woo68 » 10 Jun 2012, 21:45

Hi everyone and thanks for all the replys and information, i'm so pleased about the non-shedding and glad to get a heads up on the grooming! Hard work ahead of me it seems :)

Jo - I am not getting my puppy from rai/manorborn but I am getting him from the same family, the breeder is called Sarah and her website is Doodledoos and she is related to Rai and Julie, the stud dog for the litter I have gone for has not been 100% decided but one possibility is a manorborn stud dog.

It's great to see some Rai and Manorborn dogs on here. I have never seen an ASD in the flesh and would love to before getting one but don't know anyone that owns one. My neighbour has an F1 cross labradoodle and he is a darling but wish I could meet an ASD.

Hope you all had a good weekend :)

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 11 Jun 2012, 10:00

Where do you live, Woo? pm me and if we are near we could meet!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Woo68

Post by Woo68 » 11 Jun 2012, 12:19

Liz! wrote:Where do you live, Woo? pm me and if we are near we could meet!

Hi Liz,

I have PM'd you.

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 11 Jun 2012, 20:43

Hi, Alfie is from Sarah at Doodledoos. His mummy is sunnie and dad is aducci. We have been very happy x

Lindsey and Alfie x