Am i a cruel dog owner?? ;o(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lgri8211

Am i a cruel dog owner?? ;o(

Post by lgri8211 » 12 Jun 2012, 17:49

Hi,
Jessie is now a 6 month old crazy bouncy doodle and she is a standard size so getting rather big/strong. I am a a bit small at 5ft ;o) and i am the main doggy walker and walk her myself every morning along with my 2 year old daughter so on the morning walks i am alone with a pushchair and a doodle so you get the picture i kind of have my hands full! (on an evening my partner walks her or we go as a family so i'm not alone)

Anyway i have been having very unhappy walks and struggling as she pulls so much and jumps at people and other dogs only in excitement but she has hurt me so many times wrapping herself around me and others etc! She has had me in tears and not wanting to walk her getting up in the morning with a feeling of dread so our walks have not been enjoyable to say the least!

Last week on holiday we met two lovely goldendoodles and they were both wearing halti's around their face, i thought it was a muzzle at first not having researched or heard of them! but the owner explained to me and said it really stopped them both pulling and i should give it a go as there i am with Jess on her harness srpinging everywhere and i had clear lack of control because of her strength!

After a few days we passed a pet shop and we went in and had one fitted for Jess, she tried to take it off at first but has now got used to it she can still open her mouth with it on so its not restricting her in that way but she is a different dog and this week since being home the walks are pleasent i have so much more control and she isn't pulling at all other than when she sees another dog or someone passing directs her their attention!!

Today on a walk a lady with her dog stopped to fuss her and went into a rant about how cruel it is to have a halti on her and they should be banned and their is no need for them says she with a little handbag sized dog (lol) i tried to get a word in and explain that for me it wasn't ideal and i hope that i don't have to use one for long but i was struggling to walk Jess without risking injury and she was having none of it her parting comment was well i hope you don't keep your poor dog wearing that forever!!!!

Am i cruel?? Like i said i'd rather she didn't have it but its made her so much better on walks and when i let her off lead i take it off and she obviously doesn't wear it in the house so its just when we are walking to and from the park on the road side!

opinions and advise please? ;o)

nicollf

Re: Am i a cruel dog owner?? ;o(

Post by nicollf » 12 Jun 2012, 17:55

Of course you're not cruel! My Vet recommended a halti for Lottie when she was younger, my problem was I couldn't get her to keep it on! Lots of people with bigger dogs use them so don't beat yourself up, if it makes walks more enjoyable it is doing it's job and I'm sure Jessie still enjoys her walks!

Fiona and Lottie

lgri8211

Post by lgri8211 » 12 Jun 2012, 17:58

looking at the pic of Jess at the bottom of my post makes what i have written seem ridiculous! She looks so small but that pic was taken months ago.....i'm going to upload some recent ones to my computer ;o)

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 12 Jun 2012, 18:05

Fiona is right, Of course your NOT cruel. Lots of folks use Halti's & have a very positive response with them. There are lots of doodles on here who use them too :D .

The only reason we don’t use one is because I love having my arm wrenched out of it’s socket & being dragged around everywhere :lol: . Seriously it’s only because I too couldn’t get Wurly to keep the dam thing on :roll: , she a slippery wee girl. :wink:

Ignore this lady & continue to enjoy your walks. :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 12 Jun 2012, 18:12

Ofcourse not :lol: If it works for you, doesn't hurt the dog then go for it. I would only say when you have time walking on your own keep up the work without it and it is basic training. Enjoy the walks with your Daughter and doodle :D

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 12 Jun 2012, 18:14

i have a big dog 47k and i too have had liggaments pulled in my arm ,thats when hes got the haltie on ,but no way could i take dexter for a walk on my own without one on ,im only 5 foot aswell,maybe when dexter is a lot older and dont pull maybe he will not have too wear it ,but at the moment for my sake he does ,hes off lead on most walks so dont have it on that much ,but couldnt do without ,iv got 4 just in case i loose one which i did once.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

benacus

Post by benacus » 12 Jun 2012, 18:18

Meet another 'cruel' owner. I have to use a halti on Kizzy who is super strong and I'm also vertically challenged :lol: When I get to the park she still has her halti on when we play ball and she easily picks up the ball in her mouth. In fact she totally forgets she has it on and only tries to get it off on the way to the park- she doesn't bother on the way back. I don't use it for evening walks as she is much more chilled then (and we're not going to the park!).
It is a safe option that protects you, others and your dog (what if they pulled away from you and ran into the road :shock: ).
It is most definately nothing like a muzzle. I wonder if they make muzzles for humans- I can think of a few people who could do with wearing one!
Helen and Kizzy x

stout

Post by stout » 12 Jun 2012, 18:38

No you are not cruel at all, you are being sensible. Stout used to have a halti. He is a big lad, and despite me (michelle) being 5ft 10 so not exactly little he has nearly had me over several times. He has always walked a lot better for Chris, I guess he realises he is a lot stronger! We carried on with the 'heel' training as well, he hated wearing his halti, when he was good we walked him 'normally' when he pulled he got put back on his halti. He now walks quite well on his lead.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

purplepatch

Post by purplepatch » 12 Jun 2012, 18:48

No you are not cruel but very sensible. I am a firm beliver if it works for you go with it. In life I find everyone has an opinion and most of the time they dont consider other peoples feelings
Hope you continue to enjoy your walks
PP

ArchieBoy

Post by ArchieBoy » 12 Jun 2012, 18:53

No, you certainly are NOT being cruel - the exact opposite in fact. You are a caring, responsible owner who only wants the best for Jessie. Walking dogs is meant to be a pleasurable experience and better to get the walking sorted now Jessie is only six months and relatively easy to handle than when she is fully grown and stronger!

I used a halti on Harvey, my golden, when we were training him as he was such a big, powerful dog. It worked wonders on him.

My parents had a huge lab cross shetland pony :lol: called Norman and he wore a halti too. He used to carry his own lead and was very, very well trained (he was a rejected guide dog)

Anyway, one day I took him for a walk and he was in front of me, halti on but carrying his attached lead. A completely stupid woman came round the corner with her child to be fronted by Norman. I said "forward" to him for him to continue walking. The woman stopped and screeched to her daughter "keep away from that dangerous beast!!!!! He is obviously dangerous as he is muzzled and shouldn't be out and should be on a lead" :evil:

By now, I was furious so I shouted to Norman "keep away from that woman. She is obviously ignorant and shouldn't be out and needs her eyes testing as you have a lead" and held my head high and walked straight past her. She was so gobsmacked at my response, all she did was stand open mouthed as I strode past! It made me feel brilliant and Norman was just oblivious to the whole thing and carried on his merry way! :lol:

Thing is, Norman would have licked anyone to death! He has sadly gone to Rainbow Bridge now (7 December) but I still laugh when I think of him being "dangerous"

My advice to you is to ignore people who come out with stupid comments. They have no idea what they are talking about and just treat any comments like that with the contempt they deserve.

I hope you and Jessie continue to have stress free walks - halti wearing or not! :D

Kirsty and Archie

ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 12 Jun 2012, 19:09

No of course you're not cruel!! What a horrible lady - another nutter! They're out in force today... Maybe they're like the slugs and come sliming out in wet whether :oops:

I don't use a halti but I may well do in the future, as PP says - figure out what works for you and go with it. They're not cruel and should she have taken any time at all to listen to you she'd understand that. Sometimes you can't change people and you just need to ignore them.

And to that woman I say - Karma will get you one day!!!
ArchieBoy wrote:so I shouted to Norman "keep away from that woman. She is obviously ignorant and shouldn't be out and needs her eyes testing as you have a lead" and held my head high and walked straight past her. She was so gobsmacked at my response, all she did was stand open mouthed as I strode past! It made me feel brilliant and Norman was just oblivious to the whole thing and carried on his merry way! :lol:
Bloomin' brilliant!!! :lol:

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 12 Jun 2012, 19:16

Take no notice of the silly woman with the toy dog.
I have to walk 2 big doodles on my own together and Maddie can pull me and my husband over if she sees a squirrel. A Halti is the only way we can have any real control over her elsewise she wouldn't get her walks!
Daise xx

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 12 Jun 2012, 19:27

Next time you see the woman- ask if se would like to walk your dog for 10 minutes - I bet she wouldn't get far before she has an achy shoulder .
Dog walking is for you to enjoy as well as your dog, otherwise what is the point!
Sarah and Jessie

chris'n'ron

Post by chris'n'ron » 12 Jun 2012, 19:29

No, you've just found the means of having a safe and pleasant walk both for you and Jessie. When Treacle came to us she was used to being walked on a thick rope lead and pulled like crazy. We tried the Halti and, bingo, a changed dog. She walked beautifully. She was still able to run and play with other dogs, play fetch etc. However, out walking with a friend once she commented that she didn't like the Halti as it seemed to cut across her dog's eye level :roll: I suggested she tried a different size :roll: and now they are having lovely walks too. The fitting is very important. These days Treacle doesn't need the Halti since she's found out she doesn't have to pull. She'll walk to heel on the lead slow, fast or trot, whatever is asked of her. I put it all down to the Halti training, my personal choice for control and I don't feel cruel.

TREACLE

kirst4

Post by kirst4 » 12 Jun 2012, 19:52

hi lisa, i agree with everyone else if it makes walks easier and more pleasant for you both then use a halti, theres a lady that walks 2 big black labs where i walk bella and she swears by them, her 11 yr old son can walk the dogs too if they wear a halti, she recommended them highly to me however my problem with bella is running and jumping at people off lead rather than on :lol: :lol: :lol: but i know it must be really hard with a pushchair too & they are getting big :)
im only 5 foot 1 and a bit but thankfully bellas getting the message (very slowly) that pulling gets her almost sat on :lol: :lol:
im hoping she gets calmer as she gets older :roll:

looking forward to updated pics of jessie though :D

kirst & bella xx