Key hole spaying

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
venart

Key hole spaying

Post by venart » 13 Aug 2012, 20:32

Hi all, just had an email from our dog walker/boarder to let us know that for Wispa to be boarded with her over Christmas as we've asked, she'll need to be spayed by then. Now, we were planning to spay her at 6 months anyway, but she suggested we go to Elands Vets and have her spayed via key hole surgery.

I've never heard of it before, and from looking at the website for Elands Vets, it sounds miles above a normal procedure, but I just wondered what you all think? I'd be curious to compare the recovery periods of both, and whether anyone knows what the difference in cost could be (the dog walker said, "if you can afford it, I recommend...").

I suppose the best thing to do would be to call our vet and find out the price there, and then call Elands, just thought I'd get some other perspectives first!
Emily and Wispa

MandyG

Re: Key hole spaying

Post by MandyG » 13 Aug 2012, 20:58

Hi Emily, No answer for you, but very interested in what you've said. I'm waiting for Phoebe to have her first season before spaying and as she's a year now it could be any time. I'd like to know more about key hole as it does sound a lot less traumatic.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 13 Aug 2012, 22:10

Hi there,
I've had a chat with my vet about this as there is another vets practice in the area that does this procedure but it is much more expensive. I was not worried about the cost as I wanted the best for my dog but my vet, who is absolutely lovely and has been neutering dogs for at least 20 years is a bit cautious about it. Her incisions are only about 2 inches long anyway and she said you almost need that amount of space to make sure you get the right bits and don't cause any unintentional problems. She thinks it's more important to use the best anaesthetic that can be reversed quickly and doesn't make the dog feel unwell afterwards and also the quality of the pain relief afterwards. I know they use a long lasting injection to help them through the first night.
My first dog was spayed by her and she did such a neat little job it was practically keyhole. She was groggy the first night and almost back to normal the next day! Amazing!
Personally, ive had my mind put at rest by my vet and I'm happy not to go for keyhole but put the money towards the quality of the aneasthetic and good pain relief.
Hope that helps, but see what others think. Good luck with your decision as we all want the best for our dogs and these things do pray on our mind don't they?
Sally and Effie

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 14 Aug 2012, 09:05

Luna (Rowan11) was spayed by keyhole, you could Pm her about it.
Sarah and Jessie

venart

Post by venart » 14 Aug 2012, 18:35

Thanks for the response, Sally, very helpful! I think I should have a talk with my vet about it, just to see what they recommend. I want to believe they'll do their absolute best for their patients, though.

I'll pm Rowan about Luna to get the other perspective, though, thanks!
Emily and Wispa

travis

Post by travis » 15 Aug 2012, 10:23

I let Chica have her first season and she is now booked in to be spayed at the end of Sept. (we had to wait 3 months after her season ended). I have asked for the keyhole procedure in the hope that the recovery is quicker and there are fewer stiches for her to interfere with. They charge £70 extra and has to go to the vet group's hospital.
If she has to wear a cone we will get by but how to stop her jumping around for 10 days is something I don't see a solution to - maybe some concrete shoes :lol:
We'll just have to hope we have no visitors for 10 days :roll:

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

trinared

Post by trinared » 16 Aug 2012, 18:06

Hi
Duffy was spayed using keyhole. It cost £110 instead of the £80 for the usual spay. I would def recommend keyhole. She was given painkillers to help during the first night and she was back to her usual bouncy self the next day. No need to restrict their activity and no stitches to remove. Fantastic!
Marley and Duffy

travis

Post by travis » 16 Aug 2012, 19:04

I don't particularly like to 'shop around' for a cheaper deal. I would prefer to stick with the same vet as she normally goes to but he is considerably dearer than that and they told me "no runnng and jumping for 10 days" (Chica - not me!). I think I should get a second opinion!

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.