F2??

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Woo68

F2??

Post by Woo68 » 26 Aug 2012, 22:00

Hello,

Are any of your lovley dogs an F2 cross?

Can I ask if this cross is generaly a low shedding coat and does it tend to be a more curly coat?

Would love to see some pictures of F2 pls :)

Regards,

Woo

Immi

Re: F2??

Post by Immi » 26 Aug 2012, 23:53

Genetically an f2 is still a bit of a minefield with regards to a predictable coat as it is still technically 50/50% lab X poodle, in which case the chance of having a hypoallergenic coat is only about 10%. Generally a backcross to a poodle (f2b) will give you a higher likelihood of a non shedder, but it is still unpredictable. Most doodles will shed less than the average dog, but the degree to which they shed will vary from dog to dog even within the same litter. Some say that the more expensive ozzy doodles are less likely to shed, but I have read many stories of families giving up their ozzy dood because of an allergy sufferer being affected.
Gav & Becks.

Bid

Post by Bid » 27 Aug 2012, 00:06

Daisy is an F2 ....

and just to prove the unpredictability, this is one of her sisters

They both shed - the black one like crazy and Daisy less so.

The higher the generation, the more predictable their coats are, but to get the curls you generally have to backcross to a poodle, which as Immi says is less likely to shed, but again - you can't be sure. Even if a puppy doesn't shed and an allergy sufferer is OK with one, there is no guarantee that the adult coat will be the same.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 27 Aug 2012, 19:40

Leon is an F2, he sheds but not a lot. He looks like a gently curly lab with poodle feet! I would say he is the easiest type of coat to care for, non-matting and quite low shedding. We clip him once a year to keep him cool in summer, brush him every couple of weeks, the poodle type coats need clipping every 6-8 weeks and daily brushing.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

iceprincess10x

Post by iceprincess10x » 27 Aug 2012, 19:57

Bailey is an f2 and is wavy with curly bit at the front! Lol he doesn't shed loads but does a bit!

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 27 Aug 2012, 20:05

Hello, I have an F2, not straightforward though, he's labradoodle goldendoodle X. His dad is an F2 Goldendoodle and his mum an F1 Labradoodle. His litter were all fleecy/curly except for one who was quite straight coated and I know sheds for England.

It is a minefield regarding shedding and we've been lucky that ours doesn't shed much at all and doesn't have much of a doggy smell. We spent a lot of time with the breeder and her dogs, mum and dad, to give us an idea of what we would be getting.

I would post a picture but I'm not very good or patient with computers or cameras :)

stout

Post by stout » 27 Aug 2012, 20:10

Stout is an F2 (his mum is a F1 and dad is a F5) he has a curly (but quite loose curls) fleecy coat. He moults a bit but in clumps or as fine fur. His coat is really thick so he gets a hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks. He doesn't really matt now his coat has settled. His brothers coat is more wavy and not quite as soft. There are lots of pictures of him if you follow the link at the bottom of our post (I am afraid chris is the technical one)!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 27 Aug 2012, 20:34

Vince is an f2 both parents were doodles and he came from Kimberlenes. I think it's a bit of a lottery when choosing your puppy as some of his siblings were very woolly and at the other end just a scruffy coat. Vince has a middle coat woolly and scruffy at the same time and yes he does moult a little but on the other hand we don't have him clipped, I just trim the important bits lol. We brush him once or twice a week, he does lose clumps of fur/hair at times...like kiss curls and he doesn't smell as such ..not even when he's
wet. :)
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 27 Aug 2012, 21:44

No such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, no matter the hype, they do not exist. As you can see, even F2 have unpredictable coats, as do all uk doodles, marley is F3 and he was totally different from his littermates. The Labradoodle Trust website gives loads of advice on doodles if you need more info x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

venart

Post by venart » 27 Aug 2012, 22:02

Wispa is an f3, so one generation further along, and even though both her parents were curly, there were a couple puppies in the litter who had no curl to them whatsoever. She doesn't shed (as of yet), but I'm sure some of her brothers and sisters do; It's still a 50/50 mix, so unpredictable.

Doesn't matter, though, as while fleece doodles are cute, some of the 'undesireable' hair coated shedding ones are even cuter! And as for non shedding equalling hypoallergenic, not really true, as people are also allergic to the saliva, or even just the dust in a dog coat. And non shedding does not mean there's no dander, it just means its not going all over the place.
Emily and Wispa

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 27 Aug 2012, 22:16

Mica1971 wrote:No such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, no matter the hype, they do not exist. As you can see, even F2 have unpredictable coats, as do all uk doodles, marley is F3 and he was totally different from his littermates. The Labradoodle Trust website gives loads of advice on doodles if you need more info x
Totally agree that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.

Molly is an F1 and one of my daughters is allergic to her saliva.

Saffie is an F2 - F1 Mum and F3 Dad - and her litter of 10 had every sort of coat from lab with a bit of a beard to poodle lookalike :)

There is no predicting the coat.

If you are just looking for a low-shedding dog as opposed to a so-called hypoallergenic dog, you might be lucky......but, be warned, the puppy coats change at about 8-10 months, so your no-shedding pup might turn into a shedding dog.
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Woo68

Post by Woo68 » 28 Aug 2012, 09:11

Thanks everyone for showing me your F2's, they certainly are all different, and all lovley :)

Immi

Post by Immi » 28 Aug 2012, 15:54

venart wrote:some of the 'undesireable' hair coated shedding ones are even cuter!
Amen!!! :lol: Undesirable indeed :roll:
Gav & Becks.