Advice needed

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Nazmod

Advice needed

Post by Nazmod » 24 Sep 2012, 14:43

Hi :D
Can anybody advise me on what scores (are classed as good and bad) for the relevant hip/elbow, optigen eye tests and SA tests. I'm trying to get my head around it all.
Many thanks :D

Bid

Re: Advice needed

Post by Bid » 24 Sep 2012, 19:45

I speak as a non-breeder, but ,my understanding is ....

The breed mean for labradoodles is currently 13 - the BVA site suggests that for breeding the total hip score should be well below 13, and preferably below 11 ... http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/B ... s_2012.pdf. In addition they scores for both sides should be well balanced.

From what I've seen lately, 0 is not uncommon for elbows so if I was looking for dogs suitable for breeding that is what I would look for.

THe Optigen website explains all about prcd-PRA tests ... http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcd_pra.html

The SA tests can be done by your vet - I think it is a bi-annual test.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 25 Sep 2012, 14:42

Hip scores in a Labradoodle range from 0-92. This number is a total of the 2 hips. The breed mean average (BMA) is currently 13 which has reduced in the last year or so meaning good news and the number of dogs been hip scored has increased but in my opinion this need to rapidly increase to give more robust results.
Like Bid mentions you are looking for parents with hip scores below the BMA of 13 and this score to be evenly balanced for example my girls hips are 11 and this is made up of 5&6. If it was 11 and made up of 10&1 then this isn't good.
Elbows should always in my opinion be 0&0.
Mini poodles and Standards have different results to Labradoodles so bear this in mind when searching for a stud or check a pups parentage.
All dogs should have a current BVA eye check regardless of any other eye tests that may have been done. This is an annual examination and certificate.
Hope this helps
Tracy

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 25 Sep 2012, 18:59

My understanding of the SA test is that it can only determine if the dog tested has SA at the moment, it doesn't determine if the dog will develop SA or pass SA on to it's offspring (although I am perfectly happy to be corrected if I am wrong here).

Ideally testing for vWB (a blood clotting disorder) for gens of F2 and above is a good idea. In addition to a yearly BVA eye test it's good to see at least one parent testing Clear or PRA (a genetic condition that causes blindness). :)
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/