Crumbles sores

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
racholiandpoppy

Crumbles sores

Post by racholiandpoppy » 21 Oct 2012, 15:19

Hi,

As some of you may have read, we've just rehomed a ten month old cockapoo Crumble. She had been shaved right down to her skin in patches by her last owners - and on a couple of these patches there are little scratches from the razor.

Crumble chews on these and so they are not healing - and I'm worried about potential infection. Although they are very small. Obviously we are stopping her from biting them as much as possible, but we can't stop every single time, or when she is left on her own!

What would you recommend? It's not serious enough to take to the vets and I think they would heal pretty quick if she stopped licking/chewing.

Also, I have some v. mild steroid cream I use for my ezcema - does anyone know if this or similar would be suitable for a dog?

I'm thinking I might just buy a little collar to keep her off them - although she is still settling in and I don't want to give her another 'new' thing to get used to.

Advise would be lovely. xxx

Maggie111

Re: Crumbles sores

Post by Maggie111 » 21 Oct 2012, 15:36

Oh gosh no don't put steroid cream on her! Little scratches can be itchy but they're not in need of eczema treatment. Warm Salt water is a good cleanser and you can wash her cuts with that and cotton wool. I think some Doods on here use sudocrem on something sore but wait till someone else says it first, I've never used it on my dog.

A cone sounds like the best idea, or you can use a "comfy collar" which some dogs prefer (and some don't - dogs can be so awkward! :lol: ) http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 1nixsh18_e

Just make sure none of the cuts are oozing, or have any yellow crust etc - any signs of infection I'd start bathing a little more and considering taking her to the vets anyway.

Well done you on rescuing her :) Have you given her a health check by a vet already? If not you could possibly kill two birds with one stone. I'd want her teeth, weight, microchip etc looked at.

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Oct 2012, 16:33

I agree that with any new dog or pup a vet check is advisable.

Where are the cuts - are they somewhere that a T-shirt or socks or pants could cover while they heal? Alternatively you could put some bitter apple spray or citronella around them (not on them - that would sting! :shock: ).

I have used sudacrem on my dogs and they didnt lick it off - I don't know if all dogs are like that though :?

How is she settling in?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 21 Oct 2012, 17:11

Lola licks Sudocreme off. I use Peace and Kindness on her which is a silver colloidal solution - silver is antibacterial, antiviral and healing.

She virtually never has any reason for it, though, although groomers cuts are the main reason just occasionally!

You can buy silver solution in a health food shop, and a little spray on anything that you think might become or is infected is harmless - silver is used in plasters and things nowadays, and was used for infection just before antibiotics came in.

What we do is spray it on, then play a game with her immediately so she forgets about the spray and doesn't lick, and this usually works.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 21 Oct 2012, 17:40

I've used lavender oil before dabbed on the fur around the wound. I think you're supposed to dilute it a bit but I did use it neat!
Here are guidelines:
http://www.bellesprit.com/index.php/our ... il-on-dogs

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 21 Oct 2012, 21:59

Poor Crumble :( , no advice, but hope they clear up soon, a collar should help though.
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 21 Oct 2012, 23:14

Dermacton & Ultrasalve creams are very effective and made for dogs so safe to use:

http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem/pe ... anine.html

Good on you for rescuing Crumble - look forward to seeing some photos when she's feeling more herself !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

racholiandpoppy

Post by racholiandpoppy » 21 Oct 2012, 23:36

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!

We will be taking her to the vets soon for a check up, but in the mean time will follow suggestions!

She's a sweetheart :)
xx

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 21 Oct 2012, 23:49

No essential oil should be applied neat...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

racholiandpoppy

Post by racholiandpoppy » 22 Oct 2012, 17:47

Hi all,

Just to let you know I took Crumble to the vets to register/microchip and get a check over today. She gave us some steroid cream for the sores (not such a stupid idea after all!) other than than and a few nail clips she got a full bill of health and was very good!

Thanks for all your help though!

Rach, Oli, Poppy & Crumble! xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Oct 2012, 17:50

That's good news! I hope her itches clear up soon so she can concentrate on settling in :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron